• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W warranty....am I covered??

Will smith & Wesson still honor their warranty even though I changed the stock, grip, & trigger group on my M&P AR?? Like if something happen to the receiver or barrel? Could I send it to them as is or would I have to re-install all the factory parts?

Last edited:
I do not know about S&W, but most other CO. once you change anything unless they did the work the warranty is gone.

unless changing those parts caused the malfunction/failure, you should be fine. None of those modifications should have involved permanently modifying the lower or upper, so I wouldn't worry about it.

always best to put the factory parts back in, if you send it back they may rebuild it to factory spec and trash your parts.

IIRC Glock does that

unless changing those parts caused the malfunction/failure, you should be fine. None of those modifications should have involved permanently modifying the lower or upper, so I wouldn't worry about it.

This is my knowledge of s&w. Assuming none of the mods were the cause.

No, not really... but it's an AR15... warranty... who cares, unless they gave you a bum barrel or something.

-Mike

@ glock...good point, I wouldn't want them tossing my Geissele SSA trigger group, i'd be pretty pissed.

@ drgrant...I have thought that myself, their pretty bullet proof. But hey, u never know!!! I am only wondering this because I have a friend building an AR and was going to offer him my original buffer spring, buffer, stock, grip, & trigger group. Not sure if I'll ever need them again.

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson is pretty good about honoring their warranty. If you do have to send it back, remove any aftermarket parts. Not sure about an AR but I know with pistols and revolvers they will replace any aftermarket parts with factory parts before they ship it back to you.

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson is pretty good about honoring their warranty. If you do have to send it back, remove any aftermarket parts. Not sure about an AR but I know with pistols and revolvers they will replace any aftermarket parts with factory parts before they ship it back to you.

Not true. I sent them my 1911, where I had installed an expensive short trigger and the gun was returned with my trigger still installed. Since my problem had nothing to do with the trigger, it was a non-issue.

I am going to say no, if they are not factory and you changed them without a factory gunsmith doing the work I am going to say your SOL.

Not true. I sent them my 1911, where I had installed an expensive short trigger and the gun was returned with my trigger still installed. Since my problem had nothing to do with the trigger, it was a non-issue.

Wow, I must be unlucky then. I sent a revolver back to S&W because one of the chambers needed to be re-reamed. I had an after market trigger and a extended cylinder latch on the gun when I sent it off. When I received the gun back the work was done but my after market parts were gone. Was told, that was there policy. So, I chalked it up to live and learn.

I would say you are asking in the wrong place, you should be asking here http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category4_750001_750051_757818_-1_757814_757812_image

Contact S&W, tell them what happened, ask them if you should change it back to stock before sending it or if they want you to leave it that way so they can check on it.

I have heard real good things about S&W service department. Heck I remember one year (I think it was Len) brought a gun with him for the S&W Tour, he left it at the gaurd booth to have it repaired, before we left the factory he was told the gun was ready and he could get it at the gaurd booth on the way out.

So call / e-mail S&W, let them tell you what to do, I think you will be happy.............

I have heard real good things about S&W service department. Heck I remember one year (I think it was Len) brought a gun with him for the S&W Tour, he left it at the guard booth to have it repaired, before we left the factory he was told the gun was ready and he could get it at the guard booth on the way out.

So call / e-mail S&W, let them tell you what to do, I think you will be happy.............

Yes, I still chuckle about that one. The guard (actually security manager/supervisor IIRC) was chasing me thru the plant (while we were touring) to tell me that the gun was ready. I fully expected them to Mail it back to me.

I'll be dropping off a S&W 15-22 this time due to the bolt assembly "disassembling" when someone shot it (can't find schematic of parts for that gun anywhere online). I do NOT expect to bring it home with me and I'm fine with that.

I agree with David and I'm surprised that anyone at S&W removed parts unless they were "part of the problem"! Ask them so that you'll know how to handle the situation.

In my 1911 example above, I can't shoot a 1911 with a long (standard) trigger. I need the short trigger, so I (actually Jim Conway) installed a Videcki ball-bearing short trigger on it. The gun had barrel/feedramp/link problems so there was no reason for them to disassemble the trigger assembly, so maybe that is why I dodged that bullet. I guess that I'd inquire and think 3 times before sending any of my M&Ps (all have gunsmith trigger jobs) to S&W for any repair work (none needed to date)!

It's not S&W, but my dad stopped in at the Browning plant in Liege, Belgium (basically knocked on a door) and asked if he could get an ejector for an A5 - tehy spent 6+ man hours on him, to make sure it was the right part....then gave him both possibilities, gratis.

Sometimes, the mfrs. suck.....but always give them the opportunity to step up. They know that we all talk about them, and that bad publicity has a long, long shelf life.

thanks for all the replies guys!!! i have no problem right now, i was just wondering because i have about $750 in aftermarket parts/accessories on my M&P AR. also, i have a friend who was asking about a few of my original parts for a build he is doing right now. he wanted my buffer, buffer spring, grip, & FCG, but i'm not sure if i should part with them. he offered to pay me for them but wants a good deal obviously.

Yes, I still chuckle about that one. The guard (actually security manager/supervisor IIRC) was chasing me thru the plant (while we were touring) to tell me that the gun was ready. I fully expected them to Mail it back to me.
!

Ya I remember that, I was in the group with you when the guy was "chasing you around the plant" , that was so funny [smile]

Back
Top Bottom