S&W Victory .22lr pistol

VetteGirlMA

NES Member
I have a hankering to buy another gun, cause 'murica. The one I am really interested in is the Smith & Wesson Victory .22lr. This is going to be a plinking gun pretty much. Is that a legal gun to own in MA? I didn't see it on the roster. I am guessing it's not considered high capacity? I would find it odd if it couldn't be purchased since the Ruger Mark 4 is good to go. If it is, I am really interested in buying it with a red dot scope. Does anyone have any thoughts on what would be a decent red dot to put on a pistol like that? Thanks in advance!!

The victory/mark iv/buckmark are on my short list. Check out 22plinkster for honest advice from a guy that does a lot of 22 shooting. He has a good comparison of the victory vs. mark iv.....spoiler......he likes them both.

The fiber optic sights on the Victory are very nice. I was at a shop recently where somebody was comparing the MK IV to the Victory, and I glanced over from about 20 feet away, and at an angle, and the sights were extremely visible. That's the one complaint I have always had with my MK III, the factory sights are not that great.

Other than the sights, I think they are fairly evenly matched. Either one would be a good choice.

I agree with the others. You will not go wrong with that gun,or any of the others. I love to shoot my Mark III; as well as my GP100 (also a .22). You can probably upgrade the S&W to your hearts content, which is a lot of fun to do. They are accurate and super cheap to shoot. Nothing like going to the range and shooting off two hundred rounds for fourteen bucks. My wife and I shoot one to two times a week. We would be broke if it weren't for our 22s :)

S&W screwed the pooch by putting fiber optic sights on a self-proclaimed "Match grade target pistol".

The victory/mark iv/buckmark are on my short list. Check out 22plinkster for honest advice from a guy that does a lot of 22 shooting. He has a good comparison of the victory vs. mark iv.....spoiler......he likes them both.

Yes, but he likes the Mark IV just a little better. [wink] I bought one a few weeks ago, and it is sweet. The Victory is less expensive in the free states, but the Mass premium to get it here might make it more expensive.

I had e-mailed S&W when they first came out about if they were planning on sending in for testing to be able to get on the roster here in Mass. Their reply was that they had no intentions on it. I said that is pretty stupid of them at the time since the Ruger MK series was not on the list either. They could have sold a boat load of them. I managed to get my hands on one, and have nothing bad to say about it yet! Definitely take look at the Tandemkross upgrade parts if you do get one!

The SW22 Victory is not on the EOPS approved list for Mass.

I had e-mailed S&W when they first came out about if they were planning on sending in for testing to be able to get on the roster here in Mass. Their reply was that they had no intentions on it. I said that is pretty stupid of them at the time since the Ruger MK series was not on the list either. They could have sold a boat load of them. I managed to get my hands on one, and have nothing bad to say about it yet! Definitely take look at the Tandemkross upgrade parts if you do get one!

That was my understanding as well. They can't keep up with demand inthe free states. Proportionally Mass is a small market.

Bob

S&W can actually be taken apart, cleaned, and put back together.

Can't say the same for the Ruger.

I'd respectfully disagree. It's just about knowing the position of the hammer & strut during the reassembly process on the Ruger. Easy once you know how the gun's internals interface, it's not hard at all. Nost people don't take the time to know the gun so get frustrated.
That said, I've been reading that the some of the victory's takedown screws have a tendency to back out on it's own. People are having to come up with home grown fix's.

I've been shooting .22 target pistols for 30 years, about half of those competitively. I can tell you that when you go to a bullseye/Gallery match where accuracy and reliability are critical, The Ruger MK II/III's rule (followed by the Buckmark) in the under $500 range. My guess is that the new MK IV's will continue that tradition.
Not saying the OP shouldn't buy a Victory, just know it's got big shoes to fill.

Last edited:
So basically the only way I can buy a Victory is if I find someone else who already has one? Dammit that sucks. Every time I want to buy a gun it's either immoral, unethical, or a felony just to ogle at it.

The introduction of the Victory always made me wonder. I mean it replaced the 22A. The 22A had a one button/tool less takedown that worked well like the MK4. Is the trigger that much better in the Victory vs. 22A? My only complaint with my 22A was the loose tolerances in the trigger mechanism causing some variability (bullseye shooting) and I was able to tweak it up a bit. Anyway I switched to a Buckmark and am happy with that.

Back
Top Bottom