• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Victory 22 failure

dezignguy

NES Member
So I've been shooting one of these lately and after 200 rounds the takedown allen screw wants to back out. After snugging it up it goes 100 rounds and loosens up again. So, on goes the blue loctite..problem solved, even though it shouldn't loosen up. I would think fine threads would have been a good idea. Fast forward to today and about 600 rounds since the gun was new, the ejector is MIA ! I have no idea where it is or why its gone. Seems like I'm not the only one though, I found a thread on the S&W forum where it happened to someone else as well. Even though the gun feels good, shoots nice ( when its not falling apart) and is accurate, I'm afraid it might be a pos..what the hell is going on with S&W ?? I guess I'll have to contact S&W and ship it off. In all my years of shooting and gun ownership I have never had to deal with a brand new gun falling apart.

Thanks, I hope so too. It's kind of ironic, Ive been shooting a High Standard Supermatic for 25 years with no problems, 1 week with the victory and its down for the count..at least for now.

It's a brand new gun\design.. it happens to every manufacturer... contrary to Marks crusade to bring down S&W, I'm certain they will not only make it right for you, but they will make it better. No need to jump off the bridge, it's just teething pain.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, if you want to get rid of the gun, I'll gladly purchase it from you.. just PM me. And unlike some comments here, that's no BS.

It's a brand new gun\design.. it happens to every manufacturer... contrary to Marks crusade to bring down S&W, I'm certain they will not only make it right for you, but they will make it better. No need to jump off the bridge, it's just teething pain.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, if you want to get rid of the gun, I'll gladly purchase it from you.. just PM me. And unlike some comments here, that's no BS.

I'm on no crusade to bring down S&W I am a SWHC Stockholder. Caveat emptor.

That's a ridiculous comment. There is no way I am going to bring down a major Firearms manufacturing company. The sad truth is that there are better products in a highly competitive market by makers with better quality control

Last edited:
Thanks, I hope so too. It's kind of ironic, Ive been shooting a High Standard Supermatic for 25 years with no problems, 1 week with the victory and its down for the count..at least for now.

I have a 1979 vintage Model 41 which I bought used in 1984, and all I've ever replaced was an extractor claw that I wore out. And S&W mailed me one for free.

No worries, people have the same issues with Mark IIIs all the time.......???

I'm on no crusade to bring down S&W I am a SWHC Stockholder. Caveat emptor.

That's a ridiculous comment. There is no way I am going to bring down a major Firearms manufacturing company. The sad truth is that there are better products in a highly competitive market by makers with better quality control

ya right... here's 3 different threads in 4 days... not gonna waste my time looking back any further.. yep.... ridiculous alright..

This is still yet another anecdotal confirmation of what's wrong in Springfield right now. I'd avoid anything made by S&W currently, maybe going back as far as 3-4 years. I couldn't tell you what to buy as I have a vintage Colt that I am the original owner (purchased 1985) recently (within the past year) customized by Greg Derr.

Stick to your High Standard. Yet another horror story about the shitshow that has become today's Smith and Wesson.

I am an original S&W fanboi. I own more than a few guns. Most are S&W. I own S&W stock. I am a member of the S"& W Collector's Assn. Danger, Danger Will Robinson ! Do not purchase any new S&W firearm ! Quality Control is a sh**show. The current philosophy is pump out product and if there is a problem have the customer return it.

ya right... here's 3 different threads in 4 days... not gonna waste my time looking back any further.. yep.... ridiculous alright.. This is still yet another anecdotal confirmation of what's wrong in Springfield right now. I'd avoid anything made by S&W currently, maybe going back as far as 3-4 years. I couldn't tell you what to buy as I have a vintage Colt that I am the original owner (purchased 1985) recently (within the past year) customized by Greg Derr. Stick to your High Standard. Yet another horror story about the shitshow that has become today's Smith and Wesson. I am an original S&W fanboi. I own more than a few guns. Most are S&W. I own S&W stock. I am a member of the S"& W Collector's Assn. Danger, Danger Will Robinson ! Do not purchase any new S&W firearm ! Quality Control is a sh**show. The current philosophy is pump out product and if there is a problem have the customer return it.

Your assertion is ridiculous and immature. I am merely stating my opinion as people bring up their issues. What I find ridiculous is your assertion that somehow I am trying to "bring down" a company. I don't know why this upsets you so much or why you want to flame. Just a manifestation of: 1. Ignorance of corporate history.

2. A penchant for wanting to start some kind of flame wars. You can accept or reject my premise but the Smith and Wesson of times past is not the Smith and Wesson of today in terms of quality control in my opinion and I might add in the opinion of serious collectors and students of the company. If you would like to engage in a serious discussion about the topic PM or we can open a thread devoted to that topic. I think that's fair enough. If you are really interested in S&W and I mean hard core interested I would be happy to share information about how to become a member of the S&W Collector's Assn. Essentially you have to be recommended by another member, and if you are sincere we can talk about it. There are people in that organization who have world class collections and who have forgotten more about S&W than I know, and I know a fair amount about the company and the history and even a little bit about their 1st thru 3rd Gen semi auto center fire pistols because I've been collecting them since the early 70's.

Unlike yourself, most likely, I have a historical context to put S&W in. I've seen their fortune rise and fall. I've seen QC wax and wane not once but thru several time periods. I've seen them go from the number 1 producer of handguns to LE worldwide to losing most of it to Glock, making a deal with the Clinton Administration and losing their consumer base, owned by a British company that made plumbing fixtures only to be sold again and to regain a good part of the market with the M&P line and now caught in a feeding frenzy of greeting product out the door. I'm not making this stuff up. It's what I'm hearing from the insider's at Springfield.

3. Kindly explain to me how I am going to "bring down" a major corporation in the firearms industry. Again that's ridiculous.

Last edited:
I do believe that the title of this thread is an oxymoron. I realize that this doesn't add much to the discussion, but I do enjoy typing and saying the word aloud "oxymoron."

Hehehe.. sorry Mark.. like you, just stating my opinion based on what I see.. I live 10 minutes from S&W, have all my life, many family members and friends have worked there from when I was a young buck to my present 60 plus age.. My father had a large collection of guns, as I do now, many or even dare I say, most all of my hand guns are S&W. I own some of the oldest to virtually the newest guns made. In fact I have probably purchased more new S&W hand guns in the last 2 weeks than most will in a lifetime.. not bragging at all, just putting a little info out that adds to my comments here. Matter of fact, just came back from a quick ride to the bank in the box for another little purchase tomorrow... but according to your statements, I shouldn't buy another S&W, I should be selling everything I have purchased in the last 3-4 years.. not..

I'm not flaming you, nor trying to start some BS thread battle, just sharing like everyone else here. Thank you for the offer to direct my to the Collectors Ass.. just not interested in that area.. I just like guns and playing with them.. just a big kid living the dream.. believing in S&W and knowing they are not the company they were for my father, but also understanding, in this day and age, they couldn't possibly run their business like they did 40 years ago. Today, I see their core business and philosophy is what it needs to be to survive.. period. If there is a problem with their product they stand behind it, if they need to fix it or make it better, they will.

I have been a gun owner and shooter for 45 years. The first gun I bought was model 39, followed closely by a model 60 and the about six or seven more S&Ws. I, too, have had friends that work for S&W.

Until fairly recently S&W customer service was tops; the best I have ever experienced. Lately S&W CS has hit an all time low. I purchased an M&P 9mm Pro model which lost its front sight almost immediately. I called S&W CS and the tech explained that some of their Pro models were shipped with oversized dove tails for the front sight and that there was nothing they could do about it. I was then given detailed instructions on how to place the front sight upside down in a vise and gouge its base for an interference fit in the out of spec dovetail. This is a "bush league" remedy which was unlikely to solve the problem.

I suggested to the tech that S&W source some front sights from Brownells that would fit their dovetail and he responded that this would be impossible and that I would have to deal with the problem myself. A $30 front sight from Brownells cured the problem. S&W did not stand behind their product and most certainly did not fix it or "make it better".

I have been a gun owner and shooter for 45 years. The first gun I bought was model 39, followed closely by a model 60 and the about six or seven more S&Ws. I, too, have had friends that work for S&W.

Until fairly recently S&W customer service was tops; the best I have ever experienced. Lately S&W CS has hit an all time low. I purchased an M&P 9mm Pro model which lost its front sight almost immediately. I called S&W CS and the tech explained that some of their Pro models were shipped with oversized dove tails for the front sight and that there was nothing they could do about it. I was then given detailed instructions on how to place the front sight upside down in a vise and gouge its base for an interference fit in the out of spec dovetail. This is a "bush league" remedy which was unlikely to solve the problem.

I suggested to the tech that S&W source some front sights from Brownells that would fit their dovetail and he responded that this would be impossible and that I would have to deal with the problem myself. A $30 front sight from Brownells cured the problem. S&W did not stand behind their product and most certainly did not fix it or "make it better".

Reading this has really given me faith in S&W, [rofl]

The victory is brand new. I imagine they will fix the teething problems if the gun remains in production, which it seems likely to.

Personally, I make it a point to not buy the first year of either car models or guns, because usually there are issues that get fixed

Last edited:

I have had people tell me they sent guns to smith 2 or 3 times and still get it back ****ed up, the factory claims whatever the problem wasn't a problem, etc. Or they "fix" it and then it breaks again immediately after shooting. Eventually they gave up and just consigned the things to make it someone else's problem.

Most of the time though their CS is pretty good, but if you haven't noticed that their QC and CS has been suffering in the past few years compared to what it used to be, you should probably see an optometrist.

-Mike

The victory is brand new. I imagine they will fix the teething problems if the gun remains in production, which it seems likely to.

Personally, I make it a point to not buy the first year of either car models or guns, because usually there are issues that get fixed

I don't think this is a design issue as much as it is one of QC. Although sometimes bad parts get thrown in the mix, too. For example I don't know too many people who have had scandium 1911s from the first 2-4 years they were out and -haven't- had the safety plunger tube shear off the gun... eventually S&W got better parts and it stopped happening.

-Mike

Gam, I've read your tale of woe here, I believe several times. Sucks to hear your version of what happened. But ... there are always 2 sides to a story and unfortunately, I find it somewhat unbelievable. It is so out of line for S&W to suggest what you say. I'm not saying you are FoS, just that there is something missing in your story. Standard routine is to send a shipping label to bring the gun in...

Gam, I've read your tale of woe here, I believe several times. Sucks to hear your version of what happened. But ... there are always 2 sides to a story and unfortunately, I find it somewhat unbelievable. It is so out of line for S&W to suggest what you say. I'm not saying you are FoS, just that there is something missing in your story. Standard routine is to send a shipping label to bring the gun in...

Nothing missing, S&W refused to fix the front sight on my M&P Pro. I repeat this "Tale of Woe" because I believe people should be aware of the sad state of S&W CS. Perhaps if I pushed the matter and went up the food chain I would have found a sympathetic ear and the result could have been different. The truth is that I intended to fix the pistol myself and wasn't surprised with the BS I got from S&W. I just took the path of least resistance and bought the part from Brownells and installed it myself.

PS I found S&W's behavior somewhat unbelievable myself. This is why I often repeat my warning.

I could have told you back in the 90's that S&W was starting to suck.

I'm hoping to send it off to S&W tomorrow. I'll report back any significant breakthroughs. Thanks for all the interesting posts.

Nothing missing, S&W refused to fix the front sight on my M&P Pro. I repeat this "Tale of Woe" because I believe people should be aware of the sad state of S&W CS. Perhaps if I pushed the matter and went up the food chain I would have found a sympathetic ear and the result could have been different. The truth is that I intended to fix the pistol myself and wasn't surprised with the BS I got from S&W. I just took the path of least resistance and bought the part from Brownells and installed it myself.

PS I found S&W's behavior somewhat unbelievable myself. This is why I often repeat my warning.

Yep.... pretty easy to read between these lines.. [grin]

I have friends (one of which is a die hard S&W fanboi type to the point of absurdity) that have sent guns back multiple times and not gotten the problem fixed. It's most certainly believable. S&Ws been churning out a perceptibly higher amount of junk in the past 4+ years.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom