• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Sport AR15 Question

My rifle did not come with a flash suppressor - I see shops selling the suppressors', but the Sport does not have threads.

Question is - Can I add the flash suppressor? If so, has anyone done this and have someone they can recommend?.

You can't have a flash suppressor in MA.. move north, then you can get one. You can, however, have a muzzle break. As far as threading and all that. I don't know?

Flash hiders can only be on pre ban rifles. You can add a muzzle break, but it must be pinned. I don't think M&P Sports in MA have threaded barrels.

MA law, muzzle devices on mag fed auto loaders must be permanantly attached. There are several shops in the metro area that will thread, install, pin and weld a brake if you want one. My advice would be not to bother. There is not that much recoil and most of the brakes will blow back on anyone in the lane next to you.

The entire aspect of the sport is to cut over all cost by aliminating items that are not generally needed for "sport" shooting. Save your money for ammo.
Installing a muzzle brake on your sport will do nothing but maybe look better.

The entire aspect of the sport is to cut over all cost by aliminating items that are not generally needed for "sport" shooting. Save your money for ammo.

What about muzzle rise and noise reduction?

Any gun smith should be able to thread your barrel to 1/2-28.

Just remember what ever you add needs to be pinned. And that will make adding a rail or other accessory later more of a headache.

Wrong. What little muzzle rise there is, a comp will absolutely bring it down. The sport does have a heavy barrel so it's pretty good at staying level. But the fireballs, huge.

IANAL but if you really want a flash suppressor just throw it on. Some comps come real close to the FH spectrum but the ATF still doesn't consider it a FH. I forget which one. Maybe the Battlecomp?

Source: I own both a Sport and a 14.5" build with XTC comp. It's night and day...

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge flash and concussion with the sport. A decent brake will eliminate most of the flash and muzzle rise will be about nil. Have shot the sport quite a bit.

the sport definately can be threaded for a brake, but it defeats the purpose. It's a budget rifle. You'd probably make out just as well financially selling the sport and buying a little nicer AR. You can get a windham or a stag for probably $800 and it will have a forward assist and dust cover in addition to the brake.

threading the barrel and then purchasing the brake, pinning and welding it is going to cost a few hundred bucks easy.

Some are louder than others. I get way less noise and concussion (perceived by me behind the trigger anyway) with my windham with their brake vs. the sport.

Just remember what ever you add needs to be pinned. And that will make adding a rail or other accessory later more of a headache.

You mean noise increase? Most that decrease rise, increase noise. Or at least has been my experience.

You mean noise increase? Most that decrease rise, increase noise. Or at least has been my experience.

No I meant decrease. The sport is a very loud platform. Yes, some muzzle devices increase noise dissipation while controling muzzle rise. However there are those that are able to both control muzzle rise and reduce the noise signature.

My rifle did not come with a flash suppressor - I see shops selling the suppressors', but the Sport does not have threads.

Question is - Can I add the flash suppressor? If so, has anyone done this and have someone they can recommend?.

Get it threaded by 1776 gunsmiths and put on a Compensator like a spikes dynacomp, battlecomp, or a brake like the Lantac dragon. felt recoil and muzzle rise will absolutely be minimized, in some cases eliminated.

threading the barrel and then purchasing the brake, pinning and welding it is going to cost a few hundred bucks easy.

This is true, but i'm not a huge fan of some of the stock brakes. The Stag brake is ridiculously loud, and your stuck with it, i'd rather slap on the comp of my choosing while spending the few extra bucks.

No I meant decrease. The sport is a very loud platform. Yes, some muzzle devices increase noise dissipation while controling muzzle rise. However there are those that are able to both control muzzle rise and reduce the noise signature.

like which one? You can reduce the noise/concussion the shooter hears(basically any brake will do this), but I'm pretty sure reduction of overall noise whilst reducing recoil is impossible.

Noise dissipation and muzzle brake don't belong in the same sentence. Noise redirection? Okay.

Last edited:
... Save your money for ammo.

And that is arguable with some of them.

Muzzle rise? I don't think it would be noticeable unless you are doing a long string of rapid fire.

The sport is also as noisy as hell. It always gets attention when I shoot mine

couldn't tell you how many times that people asked if I was shooting a 308

...sport is loud!

Huge flash and concussion with the sport. A decent brake will eliminate most of the flash and muzzle rise will be about nil. Have shot the sport quite a bit.
the sport can be threaded for a brake, but it defeats the purpose. It's a budget rifle. You'd probably make out just as well financially selling the sport and buying a nicer AR. ...

often when i'm shooting at my range under a roof, I wish it had a plain barrel. Comps are loud!

I have 3 Ar's, and the sport is by far the loudest

like which one? You can reduce the noise/concussion the shooter hears(basically any brake will do this), but I'm pretty sure reduction of overall noise whilst reducing recoil is impossible. Noise dissipation and muzzle brake don't belong in the same sentence. Noise redirection? Okay.

So, which is it? Does a compensator make it louder or quieter? I have always thought louder. Remember, this is not a flash hider nor is it a silencer (suppressor). Never was intended to be. Compensators are usually for larger caliber guns, to keep the muzzle from rising up. Sometimes on the AR calibers, it helps when shooting multiple rapid fire shots, or on an M-16 in full auto. Someone please confirm this for me, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Also a good brake (compensator) will totally make a difference on an AR even for a single shot, doesn't need to be auto to percieve a difference. Obviously, it only is advatageous when firing multiple shots though, making it easier to stay on target.

MA law, muzzle devices on mag fed auto loaders must be permanantly attached. There are several shops in the metro area that will thread, install, pin and weld a brake if you want one. My advice would be not to bother. There is not that much recoil and most of the brakes will blow back on anyone in the lane next to you.

Agree with this. On an AR, a muzzle device is more or less useless to the recreational shooter. They add more aesthetic value than anything else (I'll admit I do like the look of them). I have rifles both with and without muzzle brakes, and I can't tell the difference aside from the added noise of the one with the brake. You won't get much of a benefit for the cost of adding one, and as the poster above said, the people in the lanes next to you will get a whole lot of noise headed their way. If you really want one that bad, just buy a rifle with it already installed/pinned from the dealer (Stag, Windham, etc already have them on most state compliant models).

Last edited:
So, which is it? Does a compensator make it louder or quieter? I have always thought louder. Remember, this is not a flash hider nor is it a silencer (suppressor). Never was intended to be. Compensators are usually for larger caliber guns, to keep the muzzle from rising up. Sometimes on the AR calibers, it helps when shooting multiple rapid fire shots, or on an M-16 in full auto. Someone please confirm this for me, or correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks.

Comps have two main purposes, to reduce muzzle rise and to reduce the recoil force on the shooter's shoulder. The former is mostly useful on semi-autos or full-autos when shooting many rounds in rapid succession, the latter is mostly useful on heavy recoiling rounds like 300 Win Mag or 50 BMG.

Gas exiting the muzzle is directed either up (to push the muzzle down and thus reduce muzzle rise) or to the rear (to reduce recoil force) or a combination of the two. This redirection of the gas is what results in increased perception of noise on compensated guns, especially when there is a roof overhead. This is especially true for the people standing to the side and/or rear of the shooter, as much of the gas redirected by the comp goes in those directions.

Back
Top Bottom