S&W Special CTG need help

Hello, I am new here. I found a couple post that as close but not quite what I was looking for.

I have a S&W 38, I am not sure what year or model. in truth I know next to nothing about guns.

OK about this gun, its a 38, it has a 4 1/2 barrel, 6 shot, there is a S&W stamped logo on the frame, there was a wood grip ( very bad cont.) i replaced it, on the barrel top says "Springfield Mass USA patented FEB 6.06. SEPT 14.09. DEC 29.14." the bottom of the barrel says "ECCSA PENN NJ" and the side says "38 S&W Special CTG"

The SN on the bottom is a little faded, but the on inside the bottom were the ejector is "388590" . the numbers on the inside of the yoke ( i think thats what its called ) "24685" there are also some numbers on the cylinder but I think I am rite to assume that they are the part number of the cylinder since its a replaceable part.

I dont care about how much this gun is worth, I dont plan to sell it, it shoots strait and is all I need from a firearm. What I would like to know is when it was made, is it some thing "special" like the words on the barrel imply ( i doubt it since it was a hand me down) and any other information that might help me better understand it.

thanks

sounds like a WW2 British lend/lease gun (38-1?) that was imported back, hence the Pennsauken, N.J. reference

Last edited:
sounds like a WW2 British lend/lease gun (38-1?) that was imported back, hence the Pennsauken, N.J. reference
lend lease was this just left over armament's from WWII ? is there a way to know for sure or should I contact S&W could they tell me?

Back
Top Bottom