s&w sigma

Reading a lot of good things on the web about sigma,but i know about the trigger is heave but all around a good gun.Great price for a range gun looking for some input on this gun

Have they worked the bugs out of this one? I had one of the first generation and I have to say it was one of the least reliable firearms I have ever owned. Consistent ftf's even with quality ammo.

The Sigma sucks thing is outdated. I owned one and it was a solid affordable and reliable firearm. As long as you dont get one of the early models you should be good to go.

i've shot two SIGMA 9's, both of which are still owned by acquaintances and i owned a SIGMA 40 for a while as well. not one FTF, FTE in any of the three guns....

outside of the "ma**h***" factor: cripple mags, horrible trigger - they are good to go.

The newer ones are fine. But the trigger does suck something horrible.

And I don't know anyone who will work on them. I know one smith who tried and it was marginally better, but had light primer strikes. He had to replace some parts and return it to factory condition for it to shoot reliably. Save your money and pick up a used M&P from the classifieds.

The Sigma sucks thing is outdated. I owned one and it was a solid affordable and reliable firearm. As long as you dont get one of the early models you should be good to go.

Agreed it's not a bad gun. Had issues on it with one brand of ammo (federal) but has shot WWB perfect through about 300 rounds so far.

I heard the models with the rail on it are the improved version.

The trigger is tough, but for under 300, not much to lose.

I have a new model and have sent alot (4k+) through it. It is awesome. Seeing as it's my only handgun, It gets used for everything range trips, IDPA, and carry. I had one hiccup, It starte to FTE, so I had the extractor spring changed out about a year ago.

I don't think they're nearly as bad as their reputation but before I bought one, I'd make an effort to find something else used. A use S&W 3rd gen, like a 5906, might be doable for the same money.

I have a newer 40VE and haven't had one issue. I removed a spring and polished up the sear parts which greatly improved the trigger. I don't have a scale, but I'd guess it's somewhere around 6 lbs now instead of 10+. The gun fits my hand and points perfectly. No complaints here.

I agree. The trigger can be greatly improved in ten minutes by removing two springs. Google around for "Sigma trigger"

Did you remove the springs? I polished the striker retainer which smoothed it out greatly but I wasn’t sure about what removing the springs would do it’s reliability.

I like my Sigma a lot. I have 1500+ rounds down it and no issues at all. It’s not a good target gun but it’s not a pretty gun and it’s cheap. That means I can carry it without worrying about holster wear, scratches, keeping it shiny, none of the things I’d be worried about carrying a more expensive gun.

Did you remove the springs? I polished the striker retainer which smoothed it out greatly but I wasn’t sure about what removing the springs would do it’s reliability.

I like my Sigma a lot. I have 1500+ rounds down it and no issues at all. It’s not a good target gun but it’s not a pretty gun and it’s cheap. That means I can carry it without worrying about holster wear, scratches, keeping it shiny, none of the things I’d be worried about carrying a more expensive gun.

Another forum member sent this to me so I'm gonna pass it along.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-other-gun-discussion-area/101197-sigma-trigger-fix.html

IIRC S&W settled with Glock over a patent infringement by the Sigma series. They're said to have copied Glocks "patent" in order to take back mkt share they'd lost to Glock. IIRC. They do have a heavy trigger, I had one for a while. 200/250 is a ball park price. Not a bad firearm. IMHO

Heavy trigger is all i can say badly about this gun. I have one and have fired thousands of rounds and my own reloads through it with no issues..

If removing two springs from the gun to lighten the trigger is ok then why are they in there in the first place? No light primer strikes caused by this?

If removing two springs from the gun to lighten the trigger is ok then why are they in there in the first place? No light primer strikes caused by this?

To make it MA compliant? Mine didn't have two coil over springs in the sear mechanism, there was only one to begin with. I just removed the pig tail spring and polished the sear faces with a dremel. No light strikes in 2K+.

Last edited:
Anyone ever have a problem with their trigger falling off? A SW40VE was my first ever firearm purchase. I was shooting it at the S&W range and the pin holding the lower half of the trigger drifted completely out a couple of times during shooting. I showed it to the range officers and they told me to sell it and buy a Glock.

These springs are just to return the sear back to position. The spring on the firing pin is in the slide. My worry was about the sear not getting back fast enough to catch the firing pin.

I'm going to pull the springs out of mine and put 100 rounds through it. I'll post the results.

i've owned my sw9ve about 7mo now. it's my main ccw. it fired great right out of the case. maybe 3000-4000 rds through it with only one or two fte. for some reason it only happened with federals. i've shot golden sabers(124gr), hydro shocks(135gr), and countless wwb target rds through it. i'm very happy with my purchase. keep it clean and it will keep you safe!

I have one in .40 its at S&W right now it wont eject any casings at all, the trigger stinks but the price was right, I don't know I think if I had it to do over again I dont think I would have purchased this one, its reasonably accurate for what it is but I think I would skip it save up a few more months and get a glock or sig

And I don't know anyone who will work on them. I know one smith who tried and it was marginally better, but had light primer strikes. He had to replace some parts and return it to factory condition for it to shoot reliably. Save your money and pick up a used M&P from the classifieds.

I shot about 2000 rounds through my sigma 9mm and it got workable. Not as nice as my 1911 but what is?

I bought a new sigma 9 back in the fall. I have only put a few hundred rounds through it, but haven't had any ftf or fte. Its not my carry gun, but i like it just the same.

Its great for the price.

I had a SW40VE for over a year and it never failed to fire. Since it was the first pistol I ever owned, I never had problems with the trigger pull as I obviously never had anything to compare it to. I found it to be VERY reliable and a decent size for CC, but the lack of a safety always made me a little paranoid although the heavy trigger assuaged my fear a little bit. I sold it recently to buy a rifle as I have a Para Slim Hawg for my carry. I miss it though and kinda wish I had it back.

There is also another method which replaces the outer (bigger spring) with a ball point pen spring.(do more googling)

There is also talk about calling a S&W warranty place in Texas and talking to "Frank Smith" and tell him your trigger is way too stiff. The place is called LSG manufacturing. http://www.lsgmfg.com/ **NOTE** I have not done this, know anyone that has so you would be on your own.

If you search on Sigma LSG Frank Smith in Google you should see people on other forums talking about it.

I had a SW40VE for years. After not shooting it for a while I decided I might as well sell it. Sold it on the forum and bought a .40 conversion barrel for my Glock. Everytime I was going to modify it, I would go to the range and would get used to the trigger again then do nothing.

Back
Top Bottom