• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Sigma SW40VE

I am looking to get feedback on the trigger pull on the S&W Sigma .40. The gun seems to get good reviews but everyone complains about the 10-12 pound trigger pull. Can any owners comment on this? Should I anticipate getting a trigger job done? My friend shoots USPSA and I have gotten used to shooting his .40 STI 2011, 2 LB trigger pull and his Kimber 9m 1911. Do you think I will be disappointed after being spoiled with these guns? The link to the Sigma that I bought is here http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/411539388

A good gun for the money but the trigger sucks out of the box. A lot of good discussion on this here...

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...p/90485-s-amp-w-sigma?highlight=sigma+trigger

I was able to make mine better by removing the 2 springs mentioned in the thread and polishing the sear. Since I’ve done that I went from not being able to put 2 shots on a paper at 20 yards to keeping OK groups. I can’t imagine you’ll ever get it as good as the one you’re mentioning though.

Your comparing apples to oranges. One is the trigger of a single action pistol while the other is a double action. They are very different systems. You will never achieve a 1911 trigger with a double action platform.

My friend has one with a trigger job, and while it is nowhere near single action crisp, it does have a nice light pull. It is longer than a single action pull, but they can be made decent. I think if you either take action yourself, or have a good gunsmith do a trigger job you will be far happier than stock.

If you were looking to get custom 1911 glass breaking crisp, you will need to upgrade to a single action pistol with some trigger work done. With the Sigma, the trigger pull also cocks the striker, so the pull will be longer than one that just releases the hammer.

I've owned a Sigma for years and have put a couple thousand rounds without a hiccup.

The trigger is atrcious but for the money and the reliability it's a good value. Of course it's not my favorite gun, but it's the one I keep nearby because I know it will always go bang.

I had one in 9mm. It was very reliable, once broken in it never misfead with any of the kinds of ammo I fed it. The ergonomics were great. The cost was cheap. The trigger was so bad I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it though.

I hate when people complain about the Sigma. Ive had my 40ve for 6months now and i love it. yeah its a heavy trigger but I found that it improved my shooting because it trains you to maintsin a long steady pull. Where ells will you find a sleek looking two tone in .40 from a great name like S&W for under $300?

i have shot the sigma series in 40s&w and 9mm from their rental display cases several times, but never owned one (and thus had to maintain it).

honestly can't add much to what's been said: have seen zero misfeeds. the 40ve kicks harder than it should but the 9ve felt pretty smooth. the trigger sucks out of the box on both, yes. of course the heavily-abused rentals at the store have lost their accuracy so i couldn't even judge that, but even if they hadn't i'm not confident i could hit anything beyond 10 yards.

really it's not a bad gun. a brand new one of your own probably won't disappoint but eventually you're gonna want a 1911.[smile]

I really wanted to like mine. I actually did, I am new to firearms and certainly did not have the skill nor patience to shoot it effectively. I bought a brand new pistol by a real manufacturer with four mags for $249 after rebate. I sold it one year later on consignment for the same amount. No real complaints here.

Oh, I can't shoot the M&Ps full size or compact for s___t either even though I kinda like them if that gives anyone any perspective.

Last edited:
I've never owner one, but I shot one of the 9mm Sigma's a few years ago, I put a few mags through it when someone I knew brought their brand new one to the range. It fed just fine, and there weren't any problems with it. I honestly didn't notice the trigger, everything felt fine to me, I don't specifically remember my groups, but if they were anything unusual I'd remember, so they were probably normal. The new gun owner who bought it put 2-3 magazines through it in order to get two rounds on paper from a distance of about 15 feet though.

I've since pondered getting one as a cheap beater pistol, but I doubt I will. For the money I don't think you can go wrong, but if you're buying a self defense gun you shouldn't go cheap.

Try it before you buy it if you can.

I hate when people complain about the Sigma. Ive had my 40ve for 6months now and i love it. yeah its a heavy trigger but I found that it improved my shooting because it trains you to maintsin a long steady pull. Where ells will you find a sleek looking two tone in .40 from a great name like S&W for under $300?

sleek? hardly.

Back
Top Bottom