S&W Shield

SS1

Have 9 shield that I would like to do a trigger job and sight replacement,
How easy is it to do a trigger on these, Same with the sight's
Or should I drop it off to a gun smith and have them take do the job?
Thank You

It's easy to do. Took me about an hour to replace the original with an Apex on my Shield 40C

Plenty of videos available on the subject, here's one to get you started...

sometimes, and i don't know why, s&w front sights on their semi autos like the m&p line, are a son of a bitch to move out of their dovetails. just saying....so, knowing that, i had a gunsmith do mine while i waited and he was tapping away out back to break them free. said they were a bear to move but not the worst he's encountered

never did a trigger on a smith. lou biondo at bec did a trigger job on mine. short money and again done while i went down the street for coffee. they say here on nes, from the folks who have done it, that it's a snap to put in a trigger.

Have 9 shield that I would like to do a trigger job and sight replacement,
How easy is it to do a trigger on these, Same with the sight's
Or should I drop it off to a gun smith and have them take do the job?
Thank You
Apex is nice, lots of videos on how to do but I took my Shield to my local GS who did a great trigger job and changed the sites

sometimes, and i don't know why, s&w front sights on their semi autos like the m&p line, are a son of a bitch to move out of their dovetails. just saying....so, knowing that, i had a gunsmith do mine while i waited and he was tapping away out back to break them free. said they were a bear to move but not the worst he's encountered

never did a trigger on a smith. lou biondo at bec did a trigger job on mine. short money and again done while i went down the street for coffee. they say here on nes, from the folks who have done it, that it's a snap to put in a trigger.

That's a true statement. I had the same occur with mine and it took a few good taps to break it free. Not sure why, but I suspect they used Loctite of sorts.

That's a true statement. I had the same occur with mine and it took a few good taps to break it free. Not sure why, but I suspect they used Loctite of sorts.
The rear sight set screw was lock-tited in. Had to use a micro torch to heat it up to release it. There's a spring under the rear sight too. You need a dovetail tool to keep it from flying out.

I’ll echo the statements about the rear sight being a pain. I did the full Apex duty/carry kit on a full size M&P45, which was easy.

Then I did it on my Shield 1.0, which required the rear sight removal. That thing was a bitch, even with the sight installation tool/press. I ended up dinging my rear sight in the process... but I did get it done. What a PIA, and I’m rather mechanically inclined.

Last edited:
Thank You for all the feedback
What tool would you suggest for the sight removal
Looking on amazon and seems like everything is made out of aluminum
What is the advantage of straight vs curved on the triggers

I personally found the rear sight to be a bitch. I swear, that thing was red loctited on. Tried heat and solvents. Nearly stripped the set screw. Ended up messing up the slide at the end, so make sure it's all the way out and not just backed out before you start pushing.

Everything else is easy and can be home done if you are mechanically inclined and can follow youtube video directions.

Ordered and picked up an apex trigger and duty/carry kit. Trijicom sights on there way..
So i decide to do the lower part, Spring's and Trigger, Well the first sign of a problem was the extra green spring, figuring somewhere in the video would be an explanation,
Took everything apart and put the spring's in and started to put it back together Then tried to put in the trigger and found it would not fit.
Watched the video a couple of times and his just fitted nicely. ..Went back to look at the packaging and found it was for the M&P not the shield..Went to Apex web site to compare the 2 and I see nothing except for the trigger and the green spring being different all colors and sizes of spring's that I can see seem to be the same.
So the Question is...Can i just get a new trigger and keep the spring's in or do I need to get a new kit ?
Thank You.....

Unless you're planning on doing a bunch of these have somebody else (experienced) do it. It's not worth the wasted time and potential damage.

Depends on how handy you are... I paid MFS to drop an Apex kit in my Shield... it took them 20 minutes while I waited... since then, I’ve put trigger kits into three different M&P 9 (full size) and a Ruger MKIV 22/45...

If you’re handy, go slow, watch the videos before you start and as you go, and keep track of your parts and you’ll probably be fine. If you’re all thumbs, pay someone. The extra $50 is worth the expense of not having to kick yourself every day if you F- it up.

Back
Top Bottom