• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Shield recall?

Shield recall

I have a good friend that is the general manager of a BPS. I called asked if he has heard anything about it, he confirmed that they did receive a stop selling notice today and will looking into the details for me.

I think this one has some weight to it, now it's just a matter of the details and depth of the impact.

FWIW I think the impact will be minimal.

Add**Also the 1st time posters have good credit with me, keep it up and thanks for sharing! We all had a 1st post at one time, I'm glad theirs added value!

**Update** I heard back and apparently S&W hasn't provided any other details or instructions to dealers other than "Safety issue with the lower trigger mechanism" and that they will be providing more details shortly. All this aligns with what others have posted here.

It looks like the "Mailman" OP has delivered. Thanks for sharing the info.

they go on to say that it's a problem with new handguns, not older ones. nothing more than what was posted in the screenshot from FB earlier in this thread.

I have never had any issue with UMC. I would take it over that foreign steel case crap any time.

I find the 9mm to be dirty as hell and underpowered. It -usually- does the job, but it's not something I would be using to determine whether a handgun was reliable or not. Then again it's been awhile since I last used it, so it's possible they've made some improvement to it.

As far as the steel stuff goes, that goes without saying... most of the steel cased pistol ammo out there is crap.

-Mike

Just checked the trigger on my one year old Shield. Looks great, no problems that I can see. I'd guess 1500 rounds through it. It probably is just a small, new batch of guns that are involved.

Sorry to keep going off topic. Remington Thunderbolt 22s really leaded up a guy's barrel over on another forum. You shoulda seen the pics. It's too bad but I can't say that I'd shoot anything Remington out of any of my guns.

Over on the M&P forum a few people have posted that the trigger safety's are not working. They are are saying the trigger block lever is in the unblocked position all the time.YMMV

Local gun shop back in WA just posted on FB:
"Safety Recall may be coming soon from Smith and Wesson:

To All Smith & Wesson Customers:

Smith & Wesson is in the process of announcing a Safety Alert relating to the lower trigger on M&P Shield pistols. We should be in a position to provide you with more details as to the scope of the affected pistols in a few days. In the meantime, please stop all sales and shipments of M&P Shield pistols pending further notice. We appreciate your assistance in ensuring that the products we provide to customers meet our high standards for quality and safety."

After Googling around to different sites I did find a "FEW" complaints from Shield owners that the spring that operates the lower hinge safety of their trigger had fallen out. This might be what's up, I dunno.

Just checked the trigger on my one year old Shield. Looks great, no problems that I can see. I'd guess 1500 rounds through it. It probably is just a small, new batch of guns that are involved.

Same here, next month will be a year and nothing seems out of sorts. Shoot the damn thing every time out to the range just for the sake of keeping up to speed with it. 2,200 rds and counting.

I had a shield 40 that was a mag dropper... Sent back to s&w and it came back with stronger mag release spring and dimpled mags. I bought one extra extended mag and it is not dimpled but seems to be a little wider... 1000rds after the fix with no issues at all, it wasnt untill about 500 rounds till it started droping mags...

This is the email we received from one of our distributors Davidsons this morning.

To All Smith & Wesson Customers:
Smith & Wesson is in the process of announcing a Safety Alert relating to the lower trigger on M&P Shield pistols. We should be in a position to provide you with more details as to the scope of the affected pistols in a few days. In the meantime, please stop all sales and shipments of M&P Shield pistols pending further notice. We appreciate your assistance in ensuring that the products we provide to customers meet our high standards for quality and safety.

Glad I listened to my gut and never bought a Shield 9mm...

Hope you guys get your firearms straightened out. And for those whose only CCW is the Shield, damn.

My shield is fine.

I wonder if some of the units shipped without the trigger spring in it at all Or if the spring is prone to fall out.

Was carrying it today when I started reading this thread. Saw the link, unloaded it and checked it. Loaded it back up and slipped it back in the holster. No biggie.

Purchased in May so I'm sure it's a pretty new build too.

Back
Top Bottom