• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W SD9 New Pistol

Did a quick search nothing came up...sorry if dupe.

Has anyone seen these?

Any thoughts?

220900_01_lg.jpg

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_768467_-1_757962_757752_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

SPECIFICATIONS
Model:
Capacity:
Action: Barrel Length: Front Sight: Rear Sight: Overall Length: Width: Weight: Grip: Frame Material: Slide Material: Barrel Material: Finish:
UPC Code:
Launch Date:
SD9 - 9mm (Standard Capacity) - 220900 SD9 - 9mm (Low Capacity) - 120900
SD40 - .40 S&W (Standard Capacity) - 220400 SD40 - .40 S&W (Low Capacity) - 120400
9mm: 16+1 (10+1) Rounds .40 S&W: 14+1 (10+1) Rounds
Striker Fired Action 4” (10.2 cm) Tritium Night Sight Steel Fixed 2-Dot 7.2” (18.3 cm) 1.29” (3.3 cm) 22.7 oz. (643.0 g) Textured Polymer Polymer
FEATURES
• Tritium Front Night Sight
• Steel, White 2-Dot Rear Sight
• SDTTM - Self Defense Trigger for Optimal, Black Melonite® Consistent Pull First Round to Last
• Standard, Picatinny-Style Rail
Stainless Steel
220900 - 022188141665 120900 - 022188209006 220400 - 022188141672
• Textured Finger Locator 120400 - 022188204001
• Aggressive Front and Back Strap Texturing
June 2010
• Front and Rear Slide Serrations

Aside from it looking like a Sigma and an M&P had a baby... I don't know why they would release a line of guns like this when it would take away from their M&P sales... not to mention it looks like the SD9 doesn't offer anything different than the M&P series.

Aside from it looking like a Sigma and an M&P had a baby... I don't know why they would release a line of guns like this when it would take away from their M&P sales... not to mention it looks like the SD9 doesn't offer anything different than the M&P series.

I think it will cut into sigma sales more than the M&P. The M&P seems to be geared more to law enforcement and some competitive shooters. The SD looks like it is intended for the consumer that wants an inexpensive, basic, and reliable gun to stick under his/her bed at night. With the new "self defense trigger" they're using they also could have decided to simply call it the SD instead of an "updated" sigma.

According to a review on GunBlast, it is closer to the M&P for ergonomics and function, but closer to the Sigma in price. So you get a lot more refinement for a little bit more money than the Sigma.

Saw them on Gun's an Ammo televison show this past week. they looked alright, I think there just going to stop with the sigma line and just have the SD line, all they really did was make a new slide for the sigma that resembled the M&P pistol series.

Saw them on Gun's an Ammo televison show this past week. they looked alright, I think there just going to stop with the sigma line and just have the SD line, all they really did was make a new slide for the sigma that resembled the M&P pistol series.

Not really. The trigger system is closer to the M&P. They've already said that they're going to run all three lines for the forseeable future.

The Sigma was a win for folks looking to get into a reasonable gun at a reasonable price. They sold tons of them for a reason and it wasn't always because people were not savvy. The folks I see with them on the range are happy with them - one guy got an essentially NIB 9mm for $250.00 - that's value. Is it a perfect gun? Not even close, but it gets folks into the game without taxing their wallets. More guns = good. If the new SD9 accomplishes the same thing with a better - more updated design, then I think it's another win for Smith and Wesson and the shooting community at large... If Apex can solve the horrid MA trigger, then yee-friggin-haw.... [cheers]

The Sigma was a win for folks looking to get into a reasonable gun at a reasonable price.
Unfortunately, for many folks it was NOT a reasonable gun. Ask LenS about his experiences with a Sigma -- completely unreliable. And his experience was not that unusual.

Unfortunately, for many folks it was NOT a reasonable gun. Ask LenS about his experiences with a Sigma -- completely unreliable. And his experience was not that unusual.

Yeah - I guess that's where the sea parts, as for many more - it was and is a reliable gun. I've never owned one, so I can't comment, but the people I see weekly with them on the range would disagree....

The Sigma was a win for folks looking to get into a reasonable gun at a reasonable price.

I'm kind of on the fence about this. IMHO the Sigma only does one thing really well.. and that is, on the whole, it's not nearly as much of a piece of s**t as most junk guns are... and if the Sigma stops someone from buying a junker, then everyone is better off for it. It fills the gap between junk land and quality firearms. At least with a Sigma the odds of it working OK out of the box are better than 50%.... the same cannot be said for a Hi Point, Jimenez, or other trash grade handgun.

That aside if someone was hard up for cash I'd steer them to a used Ruger P series first before anything else. I don't like Ruger centerfire autos either, but by and large they usually work, and they are built like brick outhouses. The sigma kinda has a wonky track record. It seems to be you either get a good one (that works well, and continues to work well) or you get a gun that is a disaster... but at least if you get one that's working, they tend to stay working.

-Mike

That aside if someone was hard up for cash I'd steer them to a used Ruger P series first before anything else. I don't like Ruger centerfire autos either, but by and large they usually work, and they are built like brick outhouses.
Agree completely.

I'm kind of on the fence about this.
-Mike

I saw the Guns & Gear show today and they were at S&W Shooting Center talking about the new gun. As S&W said they are looking at it as being a "better gun".

They said the Sigma was there "good gun" and that the SD is there "better gun" and that the M&P is there "best gun". So it looks like they will be doing all three lines.

I'll stick with the M&P myself.

Last edited:
Well, I had the opportunity to shoot a "good one" last night after our club meeting. It was a bone stock 9mm which the owner uses for IDPA. The grip and angle were not exactly my cup of tea, but the gun was accurate and reliable. The owner was making a nice ragged hole in the x-ring and I managed to not shoot it all over the place...I still would not own one, but understand why people do.... I think the SD9 will be a nice step up at a good price...

I have and carry one as often as legally possible. I find that it fits my hand and puts bullets in a ragged hole in the X ring. I shoot MM in SSP for IDPA and love it. I don't know if I have the only good one, but I have put over 10k rounds downrange over the last 5 years. As for issues with it I had an extractor spring break around 5 or 6k and it was fixed by S&W for free and has ben going strong since then. IMO it is great. I understand that people have had trouble with them, especialy early ones, but I think they are great guns and advocate for them as a lowpriced option for anyone.

As for the trigger I have huge hands and dont mind a heavy trigger.

I have and carry one as often as legally possible. I find that it fits my hand and puts bullets in a ragged hole in the X ring. I shoot MM in SSP for IDPA and love it. I don't know if I have the only good one, but I have put over 10k rounds downrange over the last 5 years. As for issues with it I had an extractor spring break around 5 or 6k and it was fixed by S&W for free and has ben going strong since then. IMO it is great. I understand that people have had trouble with them, especialy early ones, but I think they are great guns and advocate for them as a lowpriced option for anyone.

As for the trigger I have huge hands and dont mind a heavy trigger.

This thread is about the SD9, not the Stigma.

This thread is about the SD9 which is bridging the gap between the Sigma and M&P. Half of the posts in this thread are bashing the base model of the gun in question. I am putting my 2 cents in with my extended experience with this gun. The SD9 is coming from solid roots and should be solid pistol providing another option for more gun owners.

No shit Sherlock, but the Sigma and the SD9 became a merging subject of conversation....Read the thread again...

I know. But he didn't specify what gun he had, so someone reading the end of the thread might assume that he had been shooting an SD9 for 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom