S&W "Restricted" parts

Is there anyway around this BS. Could a gunsmith/armorer get these parts? I called to ask them to send me a new striker for a SD9VE and they say they can't I have to send the gun in, which I would rather not do for a part I can change in a few minutes. Any help appreciated.

Lol, service from S&W? good luck with that. Might be a liability thing.

And people wonder why Glock dominates the market. I can pick up a phone and drive somewhere and get a Glock 17 striker from like 3 different people in an hour. Any other brand that isn't a Glock or 1911.... and the result = LOL.

Parts... you want to buy some small parts for your handgun??? LOL. Just LOL...

I own a lot of guns besides glocks FWIW, but it just continually pisses me off that no other manufacturer has figured out that they have to get parts in the hands of
armorers down the food chain....

-Mike

And people wonder why Glock dominates the market. I can pick up a phone and drive somewhere and get a Glock 17 striker from like 3 different people in an hour. Any other brand that isn't a Glock or 1911.... and the result = LOL.

I own a lot of guns besides glocks FWIW, but it just continually pisses me off that no other manufacturer has figured out that they have to get parts in the hands of

-Mike
And in Glock's case if you do decide to send it in, you might just end up with a free overhaul. I sent my G19 in and they replaced basically the entire gun except the barrel, frame and slide for free, I only paid shipping. New sights, all springs, the works. A three page invoice with free replaced parts. I had it back in less than a week, too. Hard to beat that.

Ha! I asked a buddy that works there if he could get me a CORE slide for my 9mm. They told him nope! The CORE model isn’t MA compliant so they won’t sell the parts in state. So in essence my CORE slide went from Springfield to Texas back to Chicopee. And it pisses me off that I’m 10 mins from there and have to go to W. Springfield to 2nd day a piece back to Springfield. Guard shack drop offs were too convenient I guess.

Head down to the S&W days down at Four Seasons, the folks from S&W are incredibly helpful and are sometimes able to help you out.

One of the reasons for "Restricted parts" is "We don't make our parts to tight enough standards for interchangeability; a fitter has to find one that fits in your gun".

There's also the more tinfoilly reason that they won't tell you about"

"Replacing a striker will change the look of a fired cartridge case, so WE must replace it and keep a test fired case in or files for when the government comes looking to match a shell from your gun to a shell found at a crime scene."

This "restricted parts" crap is a big reason why I disrecommend S&W 1911's. No possibility of keeping a spare extractor in your range bag at a match.

Othing new , browning has done this for many years.
Even many years ago parts for guns where not easy to get. Often the manufacture would give you address of a “authorized” service center or parts distributor.
There has to be plenty of aftermarket parts these days , no

Is there anyway around this BS. Could a gunsmith/armorer get these parts? I called to ask them to send me a new striker for a SD9VE and they say they can't I have to send the gun in, which I would rather not do for a part I can change in a few minutes. Any help appreciated.

I find it odd that the striker assembly is available for the M&P line .... but not the SD9VE.

Yea, that was my thought too. I called S&W for a new striker for my "regular" M&P and they just sent me one. (the firing pin broke off my first striker. The replacement is a slightly different design)

Yea, that was my thought too. I called S&W for a new striker for my "regular" M&P and they just sent me one. (the firing pin broke off my first striker. The replacement is a slightly different design)

Was the recently? As far as the SD she said this started some time in 2016, prior to that they could send them out, now they do not have access to that part.

AM13-

while it's annoying i would send the pistol in to S&W. if they have to keep paying shipping costs perhaps they will eventually grow enough testes to dish out a striker. this is one of the reasons I loath S&W. even Ruger has trusted me enough to send out parts free of charge, including mini 14 extractors twice. Sig parts from top gun supply and HK from hkparts.net are available (although i've never neeeded an HK part!). S&W is even toolish about parts supply to gunsmiths! absurd.

Head down to the S&W days down at Four Seasons, the folks from S&W are incredibly helpful and are sometimes able to help you out.

unlikely to be useful. also the two times i met their S&W "rep" the guy was clueless and a grade A tool

I had this infuriating experience with a M&P 15/22 that had the extractor come out of the bolt. It needed a new spring and pin. S&W refused to ship them to me.

I asked if we could just swap bolts. They refused.

The up side is that they paid for shipping both ways and had the rifle back to me within 6 days of me sending it out to them.

Reminder: you can lawfully ship any firearm out for repair on your own. No FFL needed.

Was the recently? As far as the SD she said this started some time in 2016, prior to that they could send them out, now they do not have access to that part.

Not recently, I'm sure it was pre 2016.

That's a dumb-ass policy change.

I find it odd that the striker assembly is available for the M&P line .... but not the SD9VE.

Probably because the smegma is mostly considered a throwaway gun and 99.9% of the people that buy them will never shoot them enough to
wear out a striker. It's still a stupid move by S&W to not offer parts. At least let dealers buy them or something.

-Mike

AM13-

while it's annoying i would send the pistol in to S&W. if they have to keep paying shipping costs perhaps they will eventually grow enough testes to dish out a striker. this is one of the reasons I loath S&W. even Ruger has trusted me enough to send out parts free of charge, including mini 14 extractors twice. Sig parts from top gun supply and HK from hkparts.net are available (although i've never neeeded an HK part!). S&W is even toolish about parts supply to gunsmiths! absurd.

Ya I guess that's my only option, It looks like a small piece of the striker hook? (Not sure the technicall name for it) cracked at the edge. It still cycles fine, I'm not even sure how long it's been like that. My concern about sending it is the Apex springs and trigger. Will I have to swap it all back to stock before I send it in?

Probably because the smegma is mostly considered a throwaway gun and 99.9% of the people that buy them will never shoot them enough to
wear out a striker. It's still a stupid move by S&W to not offer parts. At least let dealers buy them or something.

-Mike

That was really my question, can a dealer/gunsmith get them? I'm gonna have to stop in a local shop and ask but I'm guessing no

Last edited:
I had this infuriating experience with a M&P 15/22 that had the extractor come out of the bolt. It needed a new spring and pin. S&W refused to ship them to me.

I asked if we could just swap bolts. They refused.

The up side is that they paid for shipping both ways and had the rifle back to me within 6 days of me sending it out to them.

Reminder: you can lawfully ship any firearm out for repair on your own. No FFL needed.

Yes but for an SD pistol doesn't fedex/ups force you to pay overnight ship costs to get it there?

Yes but for an SD pistol doesn't fedex/ups force you to pay overnight ship costs to get it there?

No. S&W will email you a shipping label. The cost to you is ZERO. They will even send you a box if you don't have one.

So like I said. Its a stupid policy. But they do try their best to make this stupid policy as painless as possible.

We are S&W armorers who deal with the factory frequently over the last decade, and S&W will not sell us trigger bars, striker blocks, slides, strikers, etc. They claim all of their semi auto parts for MA compliant guns are under "part control", and always want the gun returned to the factory. Consistently one of the worst manufacturers in the industry to deal with, with some of the worst quality control. Good thing most of their guns have a life time warranty, because you will likely have to use it.

-Mike

I've had decent luck with H&K too, but not as good as Glock.

CS at Smith is a crap shoot. Sometimes they'll ship parts, sometimes they won't. There are a few "armorer only" parts, but some of the CS reps seem to have their own list. I recently bought a Firing Pin Retainer for a 3953 DAO. No problem at all. Others have tried and been told no dice.

Glock dominates the market because their guns are cheap to produce. Just like Happy Meal toys.

Back
Top Bottom