• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W "pre lock" -- what does it really mean?

I have seen a few comments on other threads about "pre-lock" S&Ws. I assume this refers to the little safety lock built into some S&W's. Are those just made for the Massachusetts market? In any case, is the lock really a big deal? It seems pretty inconspicuous to me. Opinions?

I have a model 637 with a lock in it and it doesn't bother me at all. The pre lock models have a slightly better trigger. My trigger is just fine..

I have seen a few comments on other threads about "pre-lock" S&Ws. I assume this refers to the little safety lock built into some S&W's. Are those just made for the Massachusetts market? In any case, is the lock really a big deal? It seems pretty inconspicuous to me. Opinions?

The Smith-Wesson Forum had a sticky devoted to malfunctions in revolvers with the lock. There were enough to make me leary of the device. Odds are it is not going to hang up. But if it does, I know of no malfunction drill to clear it short of disassembling your new paperweight.

Pre-lock S&Ws generate interest among those gunnies who are stiff traditionalists.

Frosty, on the other hand, is a man's man. He calls his own shots, and almost never misses.

It's another component of the mechanics of the gun that could fail at a critical moment. Note: I don't know of any confirmed failures... but the chance, no matter how slim, is there.

Bill

Pre-lock S&Ws generate interest among those gunnies who are stiff traditionalists.

Frosty, on the other hand, is a man's man. He calls his own shots, and almost never misses.

That's "manly man" to you, youngster!

Do you recall the Air Force "Brown Paper" from the late 1980's???

S&W is selling some of the new J frames with a choice of lock or no-lock. I guess it's a no brainer which one to get. I just got a 642 no lock, myself. Well, it's on hold 'til my LTC gets finalized.

That is an interesting sticky on the S&W Forum on the lock failures.

John

It's another component of the mechanics of the gun that could fail at a critical moment. Note: I don't know of any confirmed failures... but the chance, no matter how slim, is there.

Bill

I know of confirmed failures, though thankfully none have occurred during one of those moments where it would have made a real difference. The word from those who've taken matters into their own hands is that they're relatively simple to remove.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom