S&W or Sig?

I am trying to decide my next purchase. I want a 9mm alloy frame single/double action. I am between a S&W 910 and a Sig 226 any feedback would be appreciated.

You probably should try to find someone who has both* and see if they will let you test fire them. That way you can use your own feelings instead of someone else. Also, depending on where you live you may be able to go to Springfield, MA and try out the S&Ws or Exeter, NH and try out the SIGs.

I have a sig239 40cal. I love the thing, but it fits my hands quite nicely and I can fire it a lot without it getting uncomfortable (except when I went through 4 mags worth in DA mode).

* Or two people who each have one of the ones you are looking for

You should be able to find plenty of LE tradi-in S&W 6906 on the market for decent prices. I've seen many in the area of $350.00.

If you're left-handed, you might like the 910 a bit more. Maybe it's just me, but I find the Sigs to be lefty-unfriendly.

The one thing that keeps me away from S+W 3rd gens is the damn
mag disconnect. I hate those things.... I would place a fair
wager that any gunsmith worth his salt could probably remove
it though- but for me it's just one more thing to deal
with. Outside of that, however, some of them work pretty
good, at least the ones I've had the chance to try.

I own a bunch of Sigs... (P226, P228, P229, P239) they're
excellent guns, all the way around. As EddieCoyle says,
however, they ARE kinda unfit for lefties. The location of the
slide release often doesn't lend itself well to lefties or to people
with huge hands. Sometimes that same control also causes
issues for folks with oven mitts for hands. (People used to
shooting 1911 type handguns might ride the slide lock with their
thumb and then the slide lock won't actuate at the end of the
mag.... ) That shortcoming aside, they're reliable and very
accurate.

-Mike

Why not look at a 9mm M&P? It's better than both of those guns IMO.

You can switch all the controls to be left handed as well.

Last edited:
I'm with Eddie Coyle, I've never found the Sigs to be left handed friendly. Even when I worked with them and could buy guns at wholesale, I never found one the "felt right".

I think you have to hold the gun, fire it,, see how it fits you. There are too many good guns these days to buy something that isn't "just right" for you.

sig 226

I bought a used 226 LEO turn in from Carl. I like it a lot. i'm right handed so no issue there. I chamged out the grips and it fits great.

It also decocks.

I'm not familiar with the 910, but i own six smiths and like them
a lot.

JimB

I own a Sig 226 9mm, 229 .40S&W, and 239 9mm. They are all excellent, accurate and reliable. I also own an S&W 6906, 4013, and 4563. They are also excellent, accurate and reliable. The Sig trigger is nicer, but the S&W warranty is better. The S&W models can be found used for less money, but the Sigs retain their value better on the used market. My advice: buy a S&W 1911PD 4.24" and don't look back.
[devil2]

mag disconnect. I hate those things.... I would place a fair
wager that any gunsmith worth his salt could probably remove
it though- but for me it's just one more thing to deal
with. Outside of that, however, some of them work pretty
good, at least the ones I've had the chance to try.

I own a bunch of Sigs... (P226, P228, P229, P239) they're
excellent guns, all the way around. As EddieCoyle says,
however, they ARE kinda unfit for lefties. The location of the
slide release often doesn't lend itself well to lefties or to people
with huge hands. Sometimes that same control also causes
issues for folks with oven mitts for hands. (People used to
shooting 1911 type handguns might ride the slide lock with their
thumb and then the slide lock won't actuate at the end of the
mag.... ) That shortcoming aside, they're reliable and very
accurate.

-Mike

The mag disconnect is a simple plunger and spring held in place by the rear sight. Remove rear sight, plunger and spring and then replace rear sight. Check zero and you're done.

I am big fan of S&W semi autos and the 6906 is my favorite. I shot one for a season of IPSC competition and didn't do too badly. On the other hand, I have never found a Sig DA/SA with a trigger that I liked.

mag disconnect

I'm guessing that cost is a factor in this purchase somewhat. As far as the magazine disconnect, we had them in our S&W auto's since we first went to the 659 in 83. Ever since our second and third gen SA have never had an issue with that feature. In any case, they are simple to remove.

I haven't tried any of the newer S&W M&P's (which a lot of people love), but none of their semi-auto handguns have ever impressed me much.
Any Sig is a good gun.

I have yet to shoot a Sig with a trigger that was "good". I think they have the worst triggers out there. The way the hammer falls onto the striker and just wobbles. They are reliable but the triggers, sights, and grip angle leave a lot to be desired.

I've owned 5 Sig P226's and a S&W910 along with over a dozen other model S&W 9mm pistols. I'ts all up to you how you like the egernomics of them. Currently I have a 5903 and a P226 which is pretty close to what you want. IF you want to meet at Harvard some weekend to try them out and decide for yourself, you are most welcome. Just bring a ton of ammo. This will give you the hands on experience some of the prior posts mentioned. I can also bring along a P228 and 5906MM which will really spice up the pot a bit.

Springfield, MA and try out the S&Ws or Exeter, NH and try out the SIGs.
SIG will not provide demos at the factory. You can try their line of products out during a class at the Academy. Another option is the Manchester Firing Line where they rent a wide variety. But I don't think it is a totally fair comparison. The 910 is their Value Line and made for a cost. It will do the job but it isn't a "finished" firearm by any means. That would lie in their TSW line for much more money.

I carried S&W autos for twenty years in a fairly large department. We never had a problem with the mag disconnect unless a magazine wasn't fully seated but that's operator error. However we had a left handed officer how did have a few problems with a partial magazine release due to the vehicle's seat belts but that isn't an issue unless you would carry in a duty style holster of the older vintage.

Back
Top Bottom