• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W New E Series 1911

glockstar

NES Member
So does anyone have any idea when these will actually be available in Ma.? I called S&W today and the guy I spoke with was not very much help. Looks like a great pistol just not sure on how long of a wait we could all be looking at.

I was at the shooting center the other day. The gentleman I spoke with said he thought the guns for everyone else would be available around July-August, and the mass compliant ones may not be available until submission and approval most likely in 2012. I hope he was wrong.

Last edited:
Wow, that is slick looking, but that beaver tail is too much.
I always fancied a Commander size to compliment my Gov and Officers models.
A Bobtail would be nice, and I like the "fish scales" treatment to the grasping grooves.
This needs further research. [wink]

108485_01_md.jpg

First Defense in Uxbridge had one. Nice gun but I don't care for the fish-scales.

Agreed.

Obviously it had to be fish scales because snake skin had already been taken by Kimber. I just really don't like the design lines of the fish scale portion of the grips.

I can't help but think 'BBQ gun' due to the gaudiness of the grips.

Agreed.

Obviously it had to be fish scales because snake skin had already been taken by Kimber. I just really don't like the design lines of the fish scale portion of the grips.

FWIW S+W has used similar type scallops on the SW945 before, so IMHO it isn't out of character for them. I think the grips are a bit fruity, but that's nothing against the gun, considering that changing grips out is a trivial thing overall.

I hate to say it but I am actually intrigued by the tac rail version of the gun. Another thing I like other than the Series 70 stuff M1911 spoke of, is the fact that it looks like S+W finally put real checkering on the front strap.

This is a smart move by S+W.... this series is sort of the only one of its kind, in a decent price range.

-Mike

Last edited:
FWIW S+W has used similar type scallops on the SW945 before, so IMHO it isn't out of character for them. I think the grips are a bit fruity, but that's nothing against the gun, considering that changing grips out is a trivial thing overall.

I hate to say it but I am actually intrigued by the tac rail version of the gun. Another thing I like other than the Series 70 stuff M1911 spoke of, is the fact that it looks like S+W finally put real checkering on the front strap.

This is a smart move by S+W.... this series is sort of the only one of its kind, in a decent price range.

-Mike

I agree that these are a very smart move by S&W and love the guns themselves.

My favorite is the two tone, with rounded butt.

LINK

I'd most likely add CT grips anyway.

Last edited:
What do you guys think about this gun as a first 1911 (or a first pistol in general)? I'm a bit torn between the new E series and a SIG 1911.

What do you guys think about this gun as a first 1911 (or a first pistol in general)? I'm a bit torn between the new E series and a SIG 1911.

Personally, I'd go with the S&W, but it's really personal preference and budget. The SIG is a fine gun too.

First 1911? Fine. First gun? I wouldn't recommend a 1911 as a first gun. 45 ACP is expensive ammo -- 9mm is much cheaper. And 1911s are the kings of feedway stoppages. Get a 9mm Glock or M&P instead if it is your first gun.

Compared to the Sig 1911, I'd get the E-series. The SIG 1911 uses a proprietary slide profile and as a result it won't fit in many Kydex 1911 holsters.

First 1911? Fine. First gun? I wouldn't recommend a 1911 as a first gun. 45 ACP is expensive ammo -- 9mm is much cheaper. And 1911s are the kings of feedway stoppages. Get a 9mm Glock or M&P instead if it is your first gun.

Compared to the Sig 1911, I'd get the E-series. The SIG 1911 uses a proprietary slide profile and as a result it won't fit in many Kydex 1911 holsters.

Before I first shot a 1911, my plan was to start with a 9mm. I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe one of both? [smile] Thanks for the info.

Are you including S&W 1911s in that remark? My sample is small, as I only own a couple of them, but mine run fine and go bang every time, so if know something else, I would like to hear more.

I was at the S&W Retail Outlet in Springfield on Sat...no E Series. Four Seasons has advertised them. If the grip profile of bobtail version is the same as the grip profile on the old Model 39/439/539/639 this would be an ideal handgun for me as no other handgun has fit my hand as well as those old 1st and 2nd Generation S&W 9mms.

I always thought the only feeding issue some 1911's have is when using Hollow Point ammo. Not the case?
No.

But 1911s are prone to feedway stoppages. They can be very reliable if they are set up right, but you are more likely to get such stoppages with a 1911 than with, say, a Glock.

No.

But 1911s are prone to feedway stoppages. They can be very reliable if they are set up right, but you are more likely to get such stoppages with a 1911 than with, say, a Glock.

Is it your experience that the S&W 1911s require set-up work, or that they feed without issue right out of the box?

Is it your experience that the S&W 1911s require set-up work, or that they feed without issue right out of the box?

S&W 1911s are usually very good with typical loads. They make their own springs which don't like +P+ velocities, so if you intend to shoot hot loads, you'll likely want to replace them. If I was going to buy another 1911 (which I'm not soon, after discovering the M&P45), I'd get a S&W, replace the recoil spring, grips, and (eventually, when 10-8 releases a compatible replacement) sights.

Like all guns, there are always examples that are broken, but as a rule, S&W makes a nice 1911 these days.

EDIT: If you have springs (mainspring, recoil, magazine, extractor) that are out of spec, or bad feed lips, or something else "wrong" 1911s will stop working faster than modern designs. It's imperative, when running a 1911, that everything is within operating margins.

Last edited:
S&W 1911s are usually very good with typical loads. They make their own springs which don't like +P+ velocities, so if you intend to shoot hot loads, you'll likely want to replace them. If I was going to buy another 1911 (which I'm not soon, after discovering the M&P45), I'd get a S&W, replace the recoil spring, grips, and (eventually, when 10-8 releases a compatible replacement) sights.

Like all guns, there are always examples that are broken, but as a rule, S&W makes a nice 1911 these days.

Interesting. Thanks for the info! [cheers]

Nearly every 1911 requires you do something to it... although 99% of the "something' is typically an issue of user preference based, not something you need to do to get the gun to just work.

For example, some of the SW1911s with ambi safeties on them have safeties where the edge on the safety is as sharp as a frigging razor. That would be getting changed out, or at least get the edges rounded off a bit. [laugh]

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom