S&W MP15/22 too short!

So I need some advice, In the complete lack of anyone in the country having any inventory, I cannot find a dedicated .22lr upper that satisfies me. With that said I was in the (MA) local shop and bought a 15/22. I took it to the range and its a nice little plinker and super economical but being about 6'3 It seems to be a bit too short for my personal preference. I have noticed that the stock has a buffer tube all molded into one piece so I cant go that route. Does anyone have any advice to lengthen up the stock 3-4in? Thanks in advance!!

Check the smith and wesson forums, you might find some ideas there. The guys in the 15-22 forum are REALLY into that rifle :)

Add a recoil pad to the rear of the stock???

I know Ace has different size ones, maybe that will work, or a slip on shotgun style might...

I haven't tryed it so I'm not sure...

Go about halfway down page...

Ace

Now you have me thinking, I'll pull mine out and take a look at it.

The stock is pinned and can be removed/replaced it is not molded into the buffer tube. The tube is mil-spec diameter; I put a Magpul CTR on mine, makes it much more comfortable.

The only kind of stock you could swap on would be an adjustable type (which you could pin). The buffer tube is molded into the lower and cannot be removed. Standard collapsible stocks should fit on it (check and find out if it's mil spec or commercial diameter, I don't know off hand) but I can't think of any stocks that are going to add 3-4" to the LOP. The stock from the factory is pinned at the longest setting as-is. Like DavidC77 said you could add some sort of recoil pad, but again not sure if any that are that long. Maybe just wear a bulkier jacket to add some padding.

I really appreciate the input guys, I know that a milspec configured stock is the one I would need, I wish they made the buffer tube a separate piece though! ill figure something out............ I hope lol

I really appreciate the input guys, I know that a milspec configured stock is the one I would need, I wish they made the buffer tube a separate piece though! ill figure something out............ I hope lol

It wouldn't matter even if the buffer was removable because they are all the same standard length. It is not like you could buy a different brand buffer tube that was longer. The rifle length tube is a bit longer but I'm pretty sure that once the fixed rifle stock is on, the length of pull is still the same as the adjustable stock at full extension. If you buy a Magpul MOE, or CTR stock I believe that they make an extended buttpad for those, although it only adds maybe 1/2" or so. I personally run the MOe on mine because that is what I have on other rifles and I like it. CTR is similar but has QR sockets and a locking mechanism on the adjustment lever but that doesn't matter for us mass holes because we have to pin them anyway.

Check to make sure that the pinned length isn't set at a short length.

Did that make sense??

You may be able to unpin it (you have to drill it out then you will get to clean up the tube you just bjorked) adjust it as you so see fit and then (naturally) re-pin it.

OK I may have read your post wrong, I thought you were talking 3/4" not 3" or 4"...

Either way, I just got done paying around with a ACE recoil pad and you might be able to get that to work...

I think you would have better luck with a shotgun recoil pad, I held a few up to it and they don't fit to bad and you could attach those easier because of the hard base that would noramaly sit against the stock...

So if your looking for 3/4" to 1 1/4" (rufly) I would try the shotgun recoil pad...

Good Luck...

So I need some advice, In the complete lack of anyone in the country having any inventory, I cannot find a dedicated .22lr upper that satisfies me. With that said I was in the (MA) local shop and bought a 15/22. I took it to the range and its a nice little plinker and super economical but being about 6'3 It seems to be a bit too short for my personal preference. I have noticed that the stock has a buffer tube all molded into one piece so I cant go that route. Does anyone have any advice to lengthen up the stock 3-4in? Thanks in advance!!

just my couple of pennies ....
Want accuracy - buy bolt rifle 22+" barell. (Chezh or German)
Want fun - buy Ruger and customize tigger

Is the buffer tube and stock one piece? Is the stock removable from the gun - and can a "standard" AR stock be attached?

If so you might look into must removing the current stock entirely - and replacing it with a "standard" AR stock like an A2. A lot of the adjustable type AR stocks are not as long as an A2 - even at their farthest out position.

- - - Updated - - -

It wouldn't matter even if the buffer was removable because they are all the same standard length. It is not like you could buy a different brand buffer tube that was longer. The rifle length tube is a bit longer but I'm pretty sure that once the fixed rifle stock is on, the length of pull is still the same as the adjustable stock at full extension. If you buy a Magpul MOE, or CTR stock I believe that they make an extended buttpad for those, although it only adds maybe 1/2" or so. I personally run the MOe on mine because that is what I have on other rifles and I like it. CTR is similar but has QR sockets and a locking mechanism on the adjustment lever but that doesn't matter for us mass holes because we have to pin them anyway.

Does this rifle even have a buffer in it? A lot of the .22LR AR's don't use an actual buffer. The tube is just there to mount the stock.

The stock is removable (after unpinning) but the buffer is one piece with the lower. The buffer tube is a carbine length so a regular A2 wouldn't work without serious modification. The 15-22 doesn't use a standard buffer setup like a full size AR... The recoil spring is part of the "bolt carrier group" and the whole BCG stays put while the bolt reciprocates. The buffer tube is sealed off instead of being open like a regular AR for the buffer and spring.

Sent from my iPhone

I have no ideas since its the exact opposite for me... I am going to get it adjusted.

Definitely ask around on the Smith-Wesson 15-22 forum. Those guys might have some good ideas there

I have no ideas since its the exact opposite for me... I am going to get it adjusted.

Definitely ask around on the Smith-Wesson 15-22 forum. Those guys might have some good ideas there

If you have access to a drill and a couple small bits, adjusting it is super easy. Took me about 5 mins total.

+1 on a fun gun to shoot. I am 6'6" and don't have a problem with the stock. I am in NH so my stock is not pinned so if you need a couple of measurements to see where your stock is at let me know

Back
Top Bottom