s&w mp 15-22 sport question

peterk123

NES Member
I searched this but I think I ended up more confused than before I decided to look into this. Apparently, 22lr is not considered an "assault rifle" so I should be only limited to the ten round magazine rule. Am I correct, or will the horribly dangerous adjustable stock put me in jail for life? Not that it is a big deal, but since I would like to get this for my wife it would be really nice to be able to make the rifle fit her. Thank you Pete

All pre 7/14 assault weapons rules apply. I think you can have the adjustable stock if you remove the pistol grip.

I searched this but I think I ended up more confused than before I decided to look into this. Apparently, 22lr is not considered an "assault rifle" so I should be only limited to the ten round magazine rule. Am I correct, or will the horribly dangerous adjustable stock put me in jail for life? Not that it is a big deal, but since I would like to get this for my wife it would be really nice to be able to make the rifle fit her. Thank you Pete
These rifles are readily available at Four Seasons in Woburn. Seeing as how Carl (owner) is scrupulous about following MA law I would say there is no problem acquiring and owning one.
The only caveat is if you are a City of Boston resident they have an "assault weapon ban" and I am not sure if the S&W MP 15-22 falls into that category.

shooting supply in westport also has them, checking one out for my wife. sold w/ pinned stock in Mass. (easily removed roll pin) so i can re-pin for her comfortable length-of -pull

Sadly, this is not the case. Being .22lr only makes it not subject to Healey's bullshit; it is still subject to all the restrictions of the Mass AWB. If you want it to fit her you can pull the pin and re-position the stock, but you will need to have it re-pinned.

shooting supply in westport also has them, checking one out for my wife. sold w/ pinned stock in Mass. (easily removed roll pin) so i can re-pin for her comfortable length-of -pull

If the stock is anything like the M&P 15 that I purchased. It's a dummy collapsible stock. The buffer tube would have to be changed out to an adjustable one, in the stock itself would have to be changed

If the stock is anything like the M&P 15 that I purchased. It's a dummy collapsible stock. The buffer tube would have to be changed out to an adjustable one, in the stock itself would have to be changed

i checked the stock, the one i saw is not a dummy. same as free states, just pinned. BUT--- buffer tube, (no buffer of course). is molded into the lower, and cannot be swapped out

There's a MA compliant version with a pinned stock and no muzzle device. It's subject to the MA AWB rules but exempt from the 7/16 Healey "rules". The buffer tube is fake so it's just a plastic tube molded into the receiver. It will accept some aftermarket stocks like the Magpul MAG480 Fixed Carbine Stock but you'll have to drill a hole in the old stock to get to the backside of the pin to push it out and then file a groove in the bottom of the "buffer tube" so the pinch bolt on the new stock can pass through. Pretty easy if you're handy and it won't be an adjustable stock...It'll be fixed, but in the new location of your choosing.

This state is so messed up. My understanding is that under the AWB (which is actually law), the collapsible stock would be forbidden. However, Healey’s enforcement notice (which is not law and just her opinion of how to apply the AWB) states that 22lr is excluded.

This state is so messed up. My understanding is that under the AWB (which is actually law), the collapsible stock would be forbidden. However, Healey’s enforcement notice (which is not law and just her opinion of how to apply the AWB) states that 22lr is excluded.
Right so she wont hang you for her non law BS but will quickly hanging you on actual law. See how nice she is to us......
You can always but a 22lr upper and install a Entry length stock on a lower if you want a nice compact AR.

It's a .22lr; not a real buffer tube. The pin fell out of one I was shooting once. Thank god it didn't get adjusted while the pin was out.

The short 10 round mags are much better than the fake 30 rounders. I believe the fakes are the same as the real thing, just pinned or something.

Ordered one with the red dot from my local FFL. After reading a bunch about it and watching some vids, it just looks like too much fun. She will love it and it will be a good intro for us into the world of ARs. Looks like a nice addition to our collection of 22s. I just can't get myself to spend the required Massachusetts markup for a legit AR. I will wait until we move to a normal State before taking the plunge. Pete

The short 10 round mags are much better than the fake 30 rounders. I believe the fakes are the same as the real thing, just pinned or something.
The full size 10 rounders are the same as the 25 rounders except for the pin, and the load assist buttons.

The good thing about the 10-25 rounders is that you can easily drill out the pin if you move to a free state.

I recommend adding aftermarket load assist buttons for any of the 10 rounders as it’s still helpful with even just 10 rounds.

The full size 10 rounders are the same as the 25 rounders except for the pin, and the load assist buttons.

The good thing about the 10-25 rounders is that you can easily drill out the pin if you move to a free state.

I recommend adding aftermarket load assist buttons for any of the 10 rounders as it’s still helpful with even just 10 rounds.

Hmm, I wonder if the "standard cap" ones I used didn't have the load assist buttons.

These are all good points. It's a fun rifle to shoot and surprisingly accurate.

Hmm, I wonder if the "standard cap" ones I used didn't have the load assist buttons.

These are all good points. It's a fun rifle to shoot and surprisingly accurate.
Some are very good. Some are just plinking good.
Friend has 2 with sequential serial #'s.
With Eley Match and Eley black box one rifle is getting close to MOA or at least a consistent -.75" groups at 50 yards with some nice 1/2" groups here and there. The other rifle not so much. Its getting 1" groups on a good day.
Both shoot CCI sv to -1.25" at 50 yards but one rifle tosses more flyers than the other. Both have 10x40 super snipers with parallax adjustment.
found them on line discounted as NOS sale last year. They are a bit bulky but a decent scope and made in japan.

These rifles are readily available at Four Seasons in Woburn. Seeing as how Carl (owner) is scrupulous about following MA law I would say there is no problem acquiring and owning one.
The only caveat is if you are a City of Boston resident they have an "assault weapon ban" and I am not sure if the S&W MP 15-22 falls into that category.

I don't think Carl will sell a M&P 15-22 to a Boston resident. Technically it is exempt from the Boston AWB as despite aesthetics the operation of the gun is completely different from the AR-15 platform and not an equivalent firearm under a different designation per the AWB ordinance. But having that tested in court by the red diaper Suffolk County DA is not something anyone wants to go through.

I don't think Carl will sell a M&P 15-22 to a Boston resident. Technically it is exempt from the Boston AWB as despite aesthetics the operation of the gun is completely different from the AR-15 platform and not an equivalent firearm under a different designation per the AWB ordinance. But having that tested in court by the red diaper Suffolk County DA is not something anyone wants to go through.
Yes we have to live with our own set of special rules here in the "hub of the universe". Sucks but you have to play the hand you're dealt.
I have no desire to run afoul of our new DA.
On the bright side: my daughter (BLS '19) got a great education at zero cost to me...

Back
Top Bottom