S&W mp 15-22 question

Actually, they're useful to let the RO's timer pick up your shots in Steel Challenge. Looks weird, but useful.

- - - Updated - - -

Wrong Don, but yes, they are. I have them on both of my 15-22s

That's good to hear that it works well. I don't feel that I "need" a brake on mine, but I do like the look with something on the muzzle end, and if it adds some function, all the better!

For clearing steel plate racks as dcmdon mentioned, you don't really want a bull barrel. Slower to transition and just not ideal IMO.

An short bull barrel (18-20 inches) does not hold up transitioning.....Imo.

mass answers--no, & no

take a trip to a free state & buy the 30 (or is it 28?)round mags

unlikely you'll find someone to ship to mass, but if so, let maura know (little rhyme there)

I would like to point out that this is highly illegal.

Any suggestions for slings?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I have a Magpul MS3 sling on mine, configured for two point attachment. It's not great but it works. The slider adjustment is just too loose and easy to get out of adjustment for me and what I like to use a sling for. If I bought a new one, I'd probably get a basic 2 point nylon sling and stick a paraclip attachment on one end.

I've also heard a lot of people who like the Magpul sling, but it's just personal preference. Buy a cheap one and spend the rest on ammo!

What's a good priced and worth the money sight for the 15-22.

I've got a Vortex StrikeFire II red dot on mine. Reasonably priced and does the job. Though apparently I need to sight it in, because I fired five heats last Sunday during a 50 yard benchrest competition and only managed to get one group on the paper. [frown]

Of course I've heard of comm2a... how come we still can't buy the guns we want? How come we have 10 round magazines? How come I have to have a 50 pound trigger? What good is the money you're throwing them doing? Where are the WINS? All we get are losses.

HOW COME WE DONT ALL GET CANDY AND PIE FOR FREE!?!?!?!?!? LIKE TOMOARROW!!!!!! I WANT IT NOW! I DONATED!!!!!! [rofl] [rofl]

Sorry, that's just how this post comes off.

Legal process on things takes years, amongst other things. And it also involves a lot of risk, too. There are no guarantees with anything. You might have 10 lawsuits and 1 that flies. It's still 1000 times better than doing absolutely nothing.

Also all the things you just bitched about, are mostly low order items in MA, shit most of us are annoyed by but don't actually matter because they can all be circumvented. Not something that's an actual huge problem- like discretionary issue of licenses, or an AG raging an interpretation to actually ban guns.

Legislative is the best way to do stuff but in this state we're on the shit end of the slope on that front, and there's no way around it, unless you happen to have a plan to "move a million gun owners into MA that will be politically active"

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
The shop that got in trouble for selling Glocks, that are on the "list" mind you...what was is that made them do that? Where was there fear for their livelihood or prison time? They where doing right by us and they got in trouble because there where the ONLY shop doing it. Now if every gun shop sells Glocks, then what?

They did it so they could make money. (Selling on list glocks as a dealer will NOT send you to jail, unless off list, just a risk of 10K civil infraction, as a dealer) The other shops don't do it because they'd rather make money selling guns/accessories than dealing with AG bullshit. It's a risk assessment they make. Not to mention you've probably lost sight of the fact that these shops aren't some hobby thing in a guys basement, they're businesses that people use to make money.

Also note- dealers fragrantly ignoring her bullshit has done nothing. There were a lot of dealers fragrantly ignoring the dumb laws in the past decade or so and the AG mostly ignored them because they were small enough to be ignored. They only ever got bagged from it when their head poked up out of the hole too far. None of that activity has changed the laws.

If "every shop did it" the AG's office would just pick the biggest fish and press the FRY button. And then the others would just fall in line after that, thinking that they would be "next".

The speed limit is 65 or so on the high way but everyone does 80 in the fast lane right in front of cops, no problem right? Now if everyone went 65 like they were told to the guy going 80 is getting pulled over...

There's a lot of people who have illegal mags, etc, in MA. I see that stuff all the time. That doesn't mean it's going to magically change the shitty law so that the "one off white guy" that got hit with a 209A doesn't get prosecuted for having a pmag or whatever. Massive civil disobedience is great to see memetically but in MA it does virtually nothing WRT gun rights. I can go to any half-busy, non fudd active gun club and find a half dozen or so felonies being possessed, but that isn't going to change the laws.

To use your analogy btw... a lot of highways people speed all the time, and many get away with it... but guess what, the guy going 80 is still going to get pulled over if he's not lucky. Shitloads of people speeding in MA hasn't changed the laws one bit.

Then again, it is kind of a shitty analogy anyways, there's a big difference between taking a risk for civil disobedience over a speeding infraction (which isn't even a criminal offense most of the time, absent other factors) versus a felony. If a postban mag was a $50 civil infrac, everyone would own them and every shop would keep them hidden behind the counter somewhere.

What you're suggesting is like saying that if everyone had a hotbox, cable television would be cheaper. Back in the 80s and 90s anyone that knew more than the average bear about electronics had at least one hotbox in their house. Despite thousands of these illegal units being in use, it didn't suddenly make cable television pay channels become free. [rofl]

-Mike

Last edited:
For what its worth, I have no use for Flash Hiders. I'm not in the military. I'd much rather have the muzzle stay planted. So I have brakes on all my guns. Even pre-ban ARs.

With that in mind, it is easy to get one of these:
http://www.kineti-tech.com/m-p-15-22-thread-adapter/

If is perfectly legal since the barrel is not threaded.

If you put a brake on this, you end up with the benefits of a brake and it looks "cool" to those to which it matters.

And before anyone says that you are a wimp if you need a brake on a .22, please realize that recoil, even minimal recoil slows you down when you are trying to do something like clear a plate rack as fast as possible. A brake on a .22 rifle can make a big difference.

Don, Have you actually used one of those? Looks like a great stop-gap instead of pinning.

TP

I have used this. I have 2 of them. One in .30 cal and one in .22. The .30 cal is on a Rem bolt gun I have and the .22 is on an AR. The Rem is a 16" in .308. It weighs about 6 lbs and has pretty stiff recoil with my reloads. (175 gr SMK moving at 2720 fps out of my 24" barrel gun, I haven't chrono'd them with this gun)

The brakes work "fine". Not the best, but definitely better than a bare muzzle. The exit aperture is a bit large so its not as efficient as it could be. Putting the shroud on definitely quiets it down to less than even a bare muzzle.

This is really one of those "dare to spend less" situations. The stuff really appears to be very well made. Much better than its price would suggest. The .22 one spent an afternoon on my M4gery machine gun and it held up just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

A brake on a M&P 15-22 is like putting a slicks on a Prius.[rolleyes]

Then you've never shot steel. Seriously.

Last edited:
I have used this. I have 2 of them. One in .30 cal and one in .22. The .30 cal is on a Rem bolt gun I have and the .22 is on an AR. The Rem is a 16" in .308. It weighs about 6 lbs and has pretty stiff recoil with my reloads. (175 gr SMK moving at 2720 fps out of my 24" barrel gun, I haven't chrono'd them with this gun)

The brakes work "fine". Not the best, but definitely better than a bare muzzle. The exit aperture is a bit large so its not as efficient as it could be. Putting the shroud on definitely quiets it down to less than even a bare muzzle.

This is really one of those "dare to spend less" situations. The stuff really appears to be very well made. Much better than its price would suggest. The .22 one spent an afternoon on my M4gery machine gun and it held up just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Then you've never shot steel. Seriously.

Serious question : how fast to do have to be for a brake to make a difference on a 22lr.

Now don't get me wrong I have some SW 41 with a factory brake I can see a slight difference in muzzle flip but I don't think my skill set gains from that much.

Last edited:
What kind of muzzle brake do you have on yours?

I just bought the Kineti Tech adapter too, and was thinking about the Michulek muzzle brake, but am worried it might look weird due to the adapter's width and then how the Michulek brake is narrow at the beginning. Do you have any pics of yours? Thanks

For what its worth, I have no use for Flash Hiders. I'm not in the military. I'd much rather have the muzzle stay planted. So I have brakes on all my guns. Even pre-ban ARs.

With that in mind, it is easy to get one of these:
http://www.kineti-tech.com/m-p-15-22-thread-adapter/

If is perfectly legal since the barrel is not threaded.

If you put a brake on this, you end up with the benefits of a brake and it looks "cool" to those to which it matters.

And before anyone says that you are a wimp if you need a brake on a .22, please realize that recoil, even minimal recoil slows you down when you are trying to do something like clear a plate rack as fast as possible. A brake on a .22 rifle can make a big difference.

Serious question : how fast to do have to be for a brake to make a difference on a 22lr.

Now don't get me wrong I have some SW 41 with a factory brake I can see a slight difference in muzzle flip but I don't think my skill set gains from that much.

Matches can be won by fractions of a second cumulative score, so anything that helps, helps.
I like them because it makes it easier for the RO's timer to pick up my shots, and he doesn't have to lean over to put the timer near the ejection port.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

What kind of muzzle brake do you have on yours?

I just bought the Kineti Tech adapter too, and was thinking about the Michulek muzzle brake, but am worried it might look weird due to the adapter's width and then how the Michulek brake is narrow at the beginning. Do you have any pics of yours? Thanks
I have these on my 15-22s:
http://precisionarmament.com/product/m4-72-tactical-compensator/

So, let’s say a dealer will sell a 15-22 w/ collapsible stock and flash hider in MA because Maura’s FAQs says that .22 rimfire is exempt from the enforcement notice. And suppose the owner of said rifle were to get in hot water for whatever reason. Do you think that the authorities would go after the dealer for selling it in the AWB non-compliant configuration, the owner for owning it or all of the above?

I want a 15/22 that both the kids and I can shoot comfortably. I don’t much care about the flash hider thought I do think it looks cooler.

So, let’s say a dealer will sell a 15-22 w/ collapsible stock and flash hider in MA because Maura’s FAQs says that .22 rimfire is exempt from the enforcement notice. And suppose the owner of said rifle were to get in hot water for whatever reason. Do you think that the authorities would go after the dealer for selling it in the AWB non-compliant configuration, the owner for owning it or all of the above?

I want a 15/22 that both the kids and I can shoot comfortably. I don’t much care about the flash hider thought I do think it looks cooler.

If you're shooting off a bench get sand/shooting bags for the kids until they are a little bigger

If you use a gun in a SD situation, they almost certainly will confiscate your LTC and all guns in your house as well (required if they suspend/revoke a LTC per MGL), at which point they will find any post-ban large-cap mags anyway.

Why do they confiscate your other guns?

Why is this even a question when you can get the MA neutered version from almost any gun shop? But for the record, you would be in violation of the AWB, since the actual law says something different from Maura's bullshit.

If you want to go this route, swap the flash hider for a comp or break and have a pin and weld done. For the stock, get one of these to lock it in place so you don't need to drill holes: AR M4 STOCK LOCKING PIN They make a version for Magpul stocks as well if you want to get something other than the M4 stock it comes with.

Or you could SBR it and do what you want, I guess.

I don't know that they'd go after the shop that sold it, but they may. They would definitely get you on an AWB violation and anything else that sticks when they throw shit on the wall.

S&W mp 15-22 question

I know, I bought a used 15-22 and ended up selling it before I even shot it because I just couldn't deal with how lame it looked.

I've never bought magazines online so I'm not sure how that works or if they just ship them to any state if you where to buy them from Smith & Wesson for example but if they did I'd buy a normal sized magazine... it's not like you carry a rifle through ought the day and could get pulled over with it and even if you where pulled over I doubt they're counting how many rounds can go in your magazine...and there aren't "magazine checking police" at whatever range you're shooting at so If you could get ahold of them I'd buy them, but that's just me; I'm a rule bender.
At least you are Sincere about it. Jack.

I think the case will disappear so as not to endanger the AG's illegal edict. But I'd still follow the law, ignore the AG, to be consistent.

Do you think a shooting bag is better than a bipod for kids? I like the shooting bag idea to keep weight off the rifle.
My daughter's preference, probably because we set up multiple targets and the bag makes it easier for her to switch targets

Do you think a shooting bag is better than a bipod for kids? I like the shooting bag idea to keep weight off the rifle.

I think a sandbag is better because you can make finer adjustments to the height and it provides a broader surface for a dead rest. Personally I'd rather shoot off a sandbag than a bipod if I'm going to sit at a bench.

I can tell you read the manual. About 7 years ago my wife's cousin ran Remington ammo through one it blew out. The manual at the time said dont use rem ammo. Cool end of story they replaced the rifle no questions asked.

I can tell you read the manual. About 7 years ago my wife's cousin ran Remington ammo through one it blew out. The manual at the time said dont use rem ammo. Cool end of story they replaced the rifle no questions asked.
It’s funny they single out Remington ammo, which type from what manufacture would be more detailed. Remington as far as I know does not make all thier own 22lr
I know some is made by eley.

It’s funny they single out Remington ammo, which type from what manufacture would be more detailed. Remington as far as I know does not make all thier own 22lr
I know some is made by eley.
I didnt know either till I read the manual.
Hell I didnt know you weren't supposed to run aluminum cased rounds through my mac 11. Till i found and read the manual.

I didnt know either till I read the manual.
Hell I didnt know you weren't supposed to run aluminum cased rounds through my mac 11. Till i found and read the manual.
Do they tell you why, is the mac11 have a unsupported Area around the case?

Back
Top Bottom