• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Model 64 with 3" barrel

P

Phaedo1982

I'm looking at this as my first gun upon receipt of my LTC. I generally enjoy shooting revolvers more than semi-autos and like the .38 caliber as a recreational round as well as a defensive round (in +p form, of course).

I've put hundreds of rounds through the 4"-barreled model and like the gun very much. I'm thinking the 3" would be better for possible concealment, but would still provide a great day at the range.

Snubbies are great for concealment, but I much prefer the feel of a K-Frame S&W in my hands. And I wouldn't want to spend a day at the range just firing small-framed guns...

Does (or has) anyone carried this gun concealed? What are your observations?

I'm hoping this will be a good compromise, for a first pistol, as both a range and adequate home defense gun, as well as a limited concealed carry firearm.

From what I understand, the Model 64 was considered the "premier" LE revolver up through the eighties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at this as my first gun upon receipt of my LTC. I generally enjoy shooting revolvers more than semi-autos and like the .38 caliber as a recreational round as well as a defensive round (in +p form, of course).

I've put hundreds of rounds through the 4"-barreled model and like the gun very much. I'm thinking the 3" would be better for possible concealment, but would still provide a great day at the range.

Snubbies are great for concealment, but I much prefer the feel of a K-Frame S&W in my hands. And I wouldn't want to spend a day at the range just firing small-framed guns...

Does (or has) anyone carried this gun concealed? What are your observations?

I'm hoping this will be a good compromise, for a first pistol, as both a range and adequate home defense gun, as well as a limited concealed carry firearm.

From what I understand, the Model 64 was considered the "premier" LE revolver up through the eighties.

Damn good choice! I have been asked over the years... if I had one gun? my choice was always a 3 or a 2.5 K frame 38/357 To quote the knight..."You have chosen wisely" YMMV spg

A three inch 64 with +P rounds is a very good carry firearm. I carried one, in four inch for 13 years.

A three inch 64 with +P rounds is a very good carry firearm. I carried one, in four inch for 13 years.

Did you carry it on duty or concealed? I agree, it's a solid firearm and seems like a damn good fit.

I haven't fired the 3" yet, but I've put many rounds through the 4".

The 64 3" is a great little revolver. I had one (just traded it away last week actually...) It's great fun at the range... and it'd be a great choice for a carry weapon.

The NES'er who I traded it to is actually going to use it at his home defense gun.

Nice choice. I have a 2 1/2" model 66 and it's a great shooter. Have you considered a .357? You can always shoot .38's at the range.

Nice choice. I have a 2 1/2" model 66 and it's a great shooter. Have you considered a .357? You can always shoot .38's at the range.

I have considered the .357, just for the fact that you can shoot the .38+P and .357 round, but I've heard conflicting information regarding shooting the .38 caliber out of the .357. Someone had said that it actually will, slowly, "damage" the gun over time if one is primarily shooting the .38 rounds out of the .357, which is what I'd be mostly shooting. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I have considered the .357, just for the fact that you can shoot the .38+P and .357 round, but I've heard conflicting information regarding shooting the .38 caliber out of the .357. Someone had said that it actually will, slowly, "damage" the gun over time if one is primarily shooting the .38 rounds out of the .357, which is what I'd be mostly shooting. Can anyone shed some light on this?

I don't think it will "damage" the gun over time. It may build up crud in the chambers if you don't clean it out and eventually .357 will not chamber till you clean it out.

I am the one who aquired Hanwei's and it is SWEET! Even with +P it's a pussy cat to shoot. It is now the home defense gun as I wanted a point and shoot for home defense.

I bought a 66 brand new in 2.5 inch....my first revolver. If I could do it over again, it would be a 3 incher. The 3 incher is much more in demand than the 2.5.

You can shoot 38's out of a 357 all day and into the night, just clean the cylinder when you're done. Some people say to fire a cylinder of 357 just before you go home. It makes cleanup easier !

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm 99.9% sure it's going to be my first gun to purchase when the LTC comes in. I've fired the Model 64 hundreds of times in the 4" version. My grandfather was a retired MA EPO and it was the duty revolver he carried when he retired back in the 80s.

I kept eying those S&W Nightguards; they make K and N-Frame models and has a 2.5 barrel, but I think the 3" Model 64 would be a better first revolver, as it will see more range time.

I carry a 64-6 3" inside my waist band at 2 o'clock. The grip conceals very well in this position, but the gun has to be canted forward a bit so the barrel clears the side of my leg when I sit. Absolutely love the gun. If I could have one designed from scratch for a carry piece, the only thing I would change is having it built to withstand .357 mag preasures. Just something to look out for speaking of which, I don't think the model 64 was ever rated for +P. Mine isn't. When you get one, you can call S&W with the serial#. If they tell you not to shoot +P out of it, you probably shouldn't. Otherwise, like mine, they'll tell you it's not rated for it, and they can not recomend it. I've shot a few hundred rounds of +P through mine and it hasn't shown a hint of wear from it.

You really cannot do much better than a 3" Model 64. The only way to out do it is to carry a 3" Model 65 (.357 Magnum). But be advised, .357 Magnum K frames are definitely a hand stinger, particularly with 125 grain old school loads like Remington's R357M1.

If you can snag a 3" K frame, DO IT. They ain't making any more, and they clear leather much faster than their 4" brothers. Concealability is the same, particularly if you carry the gun inside the waist, as the longer barrels just get covered by your pants. The portion sticking up out of the waist band is always the same size.

Just to show you that a 4" is not hard to hide, here's a 4" Model 64 in an O'Rourke pancake.

Exposed:
DSC00363.jpg

And concealed:
DSC00362.jpg

I carry a 64-6 3" inside my waist band at 2 o'clock. The grip conceals very well in this position, but the gun has to be canted forward a bit so the barrel clears the side of my leg when I sit. Absolutely love the gun. If I could have one designed from scratch for a carry piece, the only thing I would change is having it built to withstand .357 mag preasures. Just something to look out for speaking of which, I don't think the model 64 was ever rated for +P. Mine isn't. When you get one, you can call S&W with the serial#. If they tell you not to shoot +P out of it, you probably shouldn't. Otherwise, like mine, they'll tell you it's not rated for it, and they can not recomend it. I've shot a few hundred rounds of +P through mine and it hasn't shown a hint of wear from it.

It can fire +P rounds. Here are tech specs straight from S&W:

SKU: 162504
Model: 64
Caliber: .38 S&W Special +P
Capacity: 6 Rounds
Barrel Length: 3"
Front Sight: Integral Front
Rear Sight: Fixed
Grip: Rubber Grips
Frame: Medium
Finish: Satin Stainless
Overall Length: 8 7/8"
Material: Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 33 oz.

If you can snag a 3" K frame, DO IT. They ain't making any more, and they clear leather much faster than their 4" brothers. Concealability is the same, particularly if you carry the gun inside the waist, as the longer barrels just get covered by your pants. The portion sticking up out of the waist band is always the same size.

They aren't making them anymore? They have them for sale on the website.

And great advice (and pics) on the CCW aspect of the Model 64. Appreciate the response, man. I hear there are a LOT of holster options for the Mod. 64, as it was in use by LE for so long.

They aren't making them anymore? They have them for sale on the website.

And great advice (and pics) on the CCW aspect of the Model 64. Appreciate the response, man. I hear there are a LOT of holster options for the Mod. 64, as it was in use by LE for so long.

I take that back, the 3" Model 64 is still in S&W's law enforcement catalog, so theoretically they can still be found new. But the chances of running into one at a dealer are pretty slim. You will probably find more of them on the used market.

Also, that is the only 3" K frame still made. The 3" Models 10, 13, and 65 are definitely out of production.

I take that back, the 3" Model 64 is still in S&W's law enforcement catalog, so theoretically they can still be found new. But the chances of running into one at a dealer are pretty slim. You will probably find more of them on the used market.

Also, that is the only 3" K frame still made. The 3" Models 10, 13, and 65 are definitely out of production.

Yeah. I actually live about 20 min from the actual S&W factory (and they have a store on campus), so I think I can get one new. My friend also works there.

Edit: Maybe it won't be that easy... he wrote this in an IM regarding the Model 64:

(1:41:50 PM): yeah it's discontinued, no production, haven't shipped a unit of it since December
(1:42:04 PM): last one to the store was in Jan of 07

It can fire +P rounds. Here are tech specs straight from S&W:

I appologize for being unclear.

Some are rated for it, some are not but can handle it according to certain folks, some are not rated for it and should not use +P rounds.

If you get a used one, and it is not marked "+P" on the barrel, you may want to look into it.

There are definately model 64's that are not rated for +P. I own one.

Yeah. I actually live about 20 min from the actual S&W factory (and they have a store on campus), so I think I can get one new. My friend also works there.

Edit: Maybe it won't be that easy... he wrote this in an IM regarding the Model 64:

(1:41:50 PM): yeah it's discontinued, no production, haven't shipped a unit of it since December
(1:42:04 PM): last one to the store was in Jan of 07

No sweat. Plenty of used ones out there. Check out gunbroker.com

When I was able to purchase a 66-1 in 2.5" I grabbed it. I still have it, still carry it and with proper grips/stocks it is a pussycat to shoot.

Mine has a lot of miles on it and a lot of rounds down the pipe. To prove how well they shoot, I shot an IDPA match in NH 2 years ago with factory 158gr JSP Duty 357 mag loads and had a lot of fun. It is not what some called a hand stinger unless you have girly hands. If that is the case, buy a 22 or develop your hands to absorb the recoil.

I carry mine in an Alessi holster. (RIP Lou, I miss you and your craftsmanship) The holster allows concealed carry with easy access.

The 3" 64 you are looking at is also a fine hand gun. Limited only by caliber but with some Gold Dot ammo, 135gr Snubby loads, you have a fine carry combo. Add to that a couple Safariland Comp I or II speed loaders and a pair of speed strips and you are good to go.

IWB003.jpg

IWB002.jpg

What does it mean if it's a Model 64-3? What does the "-#" designate? It's not the barrel length, because I'm going to look at a used Model 64 with a 4" barrel this week at a local gun shop and it's designated as this model: S&W 64-3.

Talked to a friend of my uncles who is an experienced gun collector and he said the store was asking like $360 or $375 (can't remember the exact figure) for it and I thought that seemed high for a used Mod. 64. He stated he'd offer the guy $325 for it and said it was in great shape and was fired very little.

Dealer is a reputable local gun deal who's well-respected.

What does it mean if it's a Model 64-3? What does the "-#" designate? It's not the barrel length, because I'm going to look at a used Model 64 with a 4" barrel this week at a local gun shop and it's designated as this model: S&W 64-3.

Talked to a friend of my uncles who is an experienced gun collector and he said the store was asking like $360 or $375 (can't remember the exact figure) for it and I thought that seemed high for a used Mod. 64. He stated he'd offer the guy $325 for it and said it was in great shape and was fired very little.

Dealer is a reputable local gun deal who's well-respected.

-3 means it is the third major engineering change for the model. What exactly is the difference between it and the 64, 64-1, and 64-2, I do not know.

If you can get a 3" fixed sight K frame revolver for less than $350, you are getting a SMOKING deal.

Do a search on gunbroker.com to see what people are paying for them.

On the choice of ammo, while Speer's 135 grain Gold Dot is a great load, I much prefer Remington's old school R38S12 158 grain lead semi wadcutter hollow point 38 Special +P. It clocks an honest 890-900 fps out of a 4" revolver and I suspect it will still do 850 out of a 3". That's 158 grains (vs 135 for Speer) of soft lead with a cavernous hollow point. They are deep penetrators (number 1 attribute in my book) and very good expanders.

That Remington load was THE load for many years for many police agencies including the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It is what I carry in my Model 64, and in my Model 65 when I don't feel like carrying Magnum ammo in it.

Awesome. Thanks for the reply.

I searched on the web and it indicated that the -3 dates range from 1977-88 (unconfirmed).

Dude, you really should jump on this pistol.

And remember, it didn't happen unless you post pics. [wink]

I am going to be on it first thing Tue. morning. Only problem is, I'm waiting on my LTC to come in. It's only been one week, but I live in a small (green) town and it shouldn't take more than 4 weeks, from what I've been told.

Guy at the shop is a good guy and I think he'd let me reserve the gun, if I put some money down. Other option is my uncle who has his Class A said he'd buy it and transfer it to me, if I give him the money.

I'm going to inspect it on Tue. and I'll def. post pics if I acquire the item.

If your LTC isn't in either put some earnest money on it or tell your uncle to buy it and hold it.

That's exactly what I'm going to do, friend, as long as it inspects well. I'm experienced with shooting Model 64s, but I don't know how to really "inspect" a used revolver for quality... I know to check the screws, look for markings, and test the cylinder for looseness, etc. Any other considerations?

Will a gun dealer allow you to dry fire a revolver?

That's exactly what I'm going to do, friend, as long as it inspects well. I'm experienced with shooting Model 64s, but I don't know how to really "inspect" a used revolver for quality... I know to check the screws, look for markings, and test the cylinder for looseness, etc. Any other considerations?

Will a gun dealer allow you to dry fire a revolver?
The best technical reference is Jerry Kuhnhausen's The S&W Revolver: A Shop Manual.

You have the basics down, don't forget to check for proper carry up both in double and single action.

Any gun dealer who will not let you dry fire a common centerfire revolver is hiding something.

So, I went and looked at the revolver today. The owner let me inspect it, etc. and allowed me to dry fire it and put it in full lock-up, etc. It inspected well and the owner usually only buys good items. (Very trustworthy local dealer.)

Seems like it's an older model, though. It's a Model 64-3, but he said it was probably made in the '77-'82 range. The firing pin is on the hammer itself and he said it had the "old style" barrel on it, but I couldn't remember the exact term he used...

It's a Model 64-3 with a 4" barrel and he was asking $350 for it. What do you think? I think that seems a little high, but maybe the older models are more valuable...

Oh and on the barrel it wasn't specifically rated for +P it read: ".38 Special and CTG." What does that indicate? He said it was capable of firing the +P rounds, but said not to shoot them all the time. What does the "and CTG" indicate?

Any thoughts?

I have the serial number if that helps at all. I called S&W and they stated that I'd have to talk to the "historian" to get any info, as it was a pre '91 older serial number and they didn't have access to "that database." It reads: 7D110XX (leaving out last 2 digits). Can anyone tell any info from the serial #?

Update: I spoke with S&W historian and he said the gun was made in '81 and said that the gun is a beast and is hard to outwear, but couldn't say much else until I submitted an "official request" for research.

So, I went and looked at the revolver today. The owner let me inspect it, etc. and allowed me to dry fire it and put it in full lock-up, etc. It inspected well and the owner usually only buys good items. (Very trustworthy local dealer.)

Seems like it's an older model, though. It's a Model 64-3, but he said it was probably made in the '77-'82 range. The firing pin is on the hammer itself and he said it had the "old style" barrel on it, but I couldn't remember the exact term he used...

It's a Model 64-3 with a 4" barrel and he was asking $350 for it. What do you think? I think that seems a little high, but maybe the older models are more valuable...

Oh and on the barrel it wasn't specifically rated for +P it read: ".38 Special and CTG." What does that indicate? He said it was capable of firing the +P rounds, but said not to shoot them all the time. What does the "and CTG" indicate?

Any thoughts?

I have the serial number if that helps at all. I called S&W and they stated that I'd have to talk to the "historian" to get any info, as it was a pre '91 older serial number and they didn't have access to "that database." It reads: 7D110XX (leaving out last 2 digits). Can anyone tell any info from the serial #?

Update: I spoke with S&W historian and he said the gun was made in '81 and said that the gun is a beast and is hard to outwear, but couldn't say much else until I submitted an "official request" for research.

GET IT NOW OR TELL ME WHERE IT IS AND I WILL BUY IT. [smile]

Seriously, $350 is more than a fair deal for a 3" Model 64 in the condition that you describe.

Yes, it will handle +Ps all day long.

ETA: The inscription on the barrel is "38 S. & W. SPECIAL CTG." CTG mean cartridge. S&W kept the old school terminology for a loong time. I wish they still did.

Back
Top Bottom