S&W Model 60 cylinder question

I have a model 60 that I bought used. The gun is in great shape other than the cylinder. I appologize in advance for my lack proper terminology of parts, I'm not really a revolver guy.

DSC00908.jpg

DSC00907.jpg

The cylinder will spin clockwise (opposite normal cylinder advance) with slight force. The small pawl on the lower part of the frame where the cylinder sits (straight above the trigger) will slide out of the cylinder notches that locks it into position and will allow it to spin. It does not go down far enough to allow the cylinder to advance (counterclockwise) and it does not alow the cylinder to spin when the hammer is cocked. It feel as if that pawl does not engage far enough into the notches or the notches are not deep enough. The gun will index correctly to a bullet as the trigger is pulled but the problem could be if the cylinder slips (again; backwards) during the next trigger pull the gun will index to the already fired bullet. This has not happened yet but it could

Is this a common problem? Is there an easy fix or is it back to S&W?
PS-sorry about the crappy pictures

Make sure the notches in the cylinder are clean. If they are, remove the side-plate, give the area under the cylinder a good cleaning, and replace the cylinder stop spring.

Revolvers are actually quite frail in some areas. Cylinder rotation and lock up is one of these areas. I would send the gun back to S&W; their customer service is the best.

Back
Top Bottom