• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Model 41

Hello all I was wondering if anyone out there could help me with a question on my 41. I have a A 1978 production 41 my wife just bought me for my birthday. It has a hole in the rear for a cocking indicator but there is no indicator in it. Has it been removed? I know S&W stopped adding cocking indicators at some point. Did Smith leave an empty hole? Also I would like a muzzle brake anyone got one for sale! Thanks
ezabesy2.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 1979 S&W 41 and it doesn't have a cocking indicator. Are you sure its a 78?
I used this link. Mine is a A600XXX which looks like a 1979.

I also have a 1979 production Model 41, S/N A590XXX.
No hole or cocking indicator.

My research found this:

M41 began in 1957 with #1401 and stopped production of 7.375" bbl in 1978. Cocking indicator also dropped in'78. 5" bbl stopped in 1976.

Further research tells me it was common in the day for target shooters to remove the cocking indicator because it was believed to improve the trigger pull.
Finding one nowadays with the cocking indicator missing is not unusual.

Ok, better to resurrect this old thread than start another ? :cool:

Anyway, I need a Slide Stop Assembly for my Model 41 and it appears that both Brownells and Numrich are out of stock. I did find this place where the price is bit higher but says they have it:

Anyone ever dealt with this place ? Any other ideas for sources ?

Thanks !

Peter

1669603620887.png

they are still being made. Might be worth your time to send a kind email about how much you love the gun and how it's a pleasure to shoot when working correctly yaddy yaddy yada, to their customer service and see if they don't offer to send you a replacement. no harm in trying, won't even cost you a stamp just a couple minutes.

sorry I can't speak to that vendor. good luck

Ok, better to resurrect this old thread than start another ? :cool:

Anyway, I need a Slide Stop Assembly for my Model 41 and it appears that both Brownells and Numrich are out of stock. I did find this place where the price is bit higher but says they have it:

Anyone ever dealt with this place ? Any other ideas for sources ?

Thanks !

Peter

View attachment 691606
I have not used them in like 10 years. Old timer WWII vet.
He had or possible made some parts for a old ruger rifle for me.
Not sure how much they are doing these days.

Quick search search to indicate its a legit store with good Google feedback. Appear to have been featured in American Rifleman magazine.

Pay with CC and fight charges if parts don't arrive.

they are still being made. Might be worth your time to send a kind email about how much you love the gun and how it's a pleasure to shoot when working correctly yaddy yaddy yada, to their customer service and see if they don't offer to send you a replacement. no harm in trying, won't even cost you a stamp just a couple minutes.

sorry I can't speak to that vendor. good luck
Did call S&W and they were out of stock as well but did say they would send me the part, gratis, when it comes in.

The firearm does function without it so will just plug along and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input !

Quick search search to indicate its a legit store with good Google feedback. Appear to have been featured in American Rifleman magazine.

Pay with CC and fight charges if parts don't arrive.
Ok, yep, could do that but the part on the web page about parts maybe needing "modification" was a bit concerning. So, will wait for S&W and see if they ship it out when they say they will.

Thanks !

Back
Top Bottom