• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Model 41 worth the $?

Yes, buy the 41. I own one with the 7" bbl. Love it....it would be one of the last guns I would sell.

Hmmm...I don't agree with folks on the 'picky' about ammo.... I did use CCI Std Vel stuff UNTIL the "great .22 unavailability" situation....Now I use WHATEVER I can find...which happens to be the Rem "Bucket-O-Bullets".... I don't think I've had a jam in the last 2000 rounds or so...

image.jpg
Here's my two. An older one with the unusual factory orange follower magazines and a 2003 model with factory drilled barrel and an ADCO 30mm red dot sight.

Very nice! Looks like the rear sight is different on the new one? Do you have a preference for one over the other?
Thanks
I believe the two rear sights are very close in their "sight picture". I never compared them closely. There was a period in the later 90's when S&W was using the Millett rear sight. Those I'm not a fan of.

Here's my two. An older one with the unusual factory orange follower magazines

My two original mags have metal followers.
I later got some more mags and some had the orange plastic follower, these mags actually hold 12 rounds, not the standard 10. Notice how short the extension piece below the thumb button is, this allows longer travel (thus two more rounds capacity) before it bottoms out. This follower was actually designed for the model 2213/2214 mags, which are slightly over an inch shorter than the M41 mags, but still hold 8 rounds.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:
I was reading the specifications and it says "single action" -- looks like a semi-auto pistol to me.

Being a wheel-gun guy, I don't understand -- is there a hammer to pull back on this pistol ?
I think the hammer is hidden by the slide. S&W has been known to mis-label guns with internal hammers as "hammerless".

I have a love hate relationship with my 41. When she purrs she is untouchable when it comes to my favorite gun. She is very finicky. I only shoot CCI Standard in her and she has times when she jams quite a bit. Key is keeping the bolt dry and clean. Any bit of oil in the bolt causes crap to form inside the extractor. I keep a tooth pick with me and clean the bolt after every competition round

Yep. It never occurred to me, but they have the initials "KN" over "Nill Griffe". Griffe must translate to grip.

Could you take a close up or few of your grip and post it please?

To those using CCI years back when I shot shorts the wax would build up and cause problems if it wasn't wiped clean regularly. Is that still the case these days?
Had a guy try and sell me on Federal Match and that stuff just wouldn't work worth a crap. Went to RWS and never looked back

I was reading the specifications and it says "single action" -- looks like a semi-auto pistol to me.

Being a wheel-gun guy, I don't understand -- is there a hammer to pull back on this pistol ?

Semi-autos can be
  • single action only
  • double action only
  • traditional double action (meaning that the 1st round/1st round after decocking are double action with the others being in single).

With respect to a semi-auto single action means that the firing mechanism is cocked cocks when the action cycles.

​I have an older 7" model, it certainly shoots better than I do. I bought it from one of my teammates that was retiring from shooting pistol on my club's team, I've never had a problem with CCI standard velocity ammo....

The Rink grips usually have a piece on the palm shelf that wraps up around your hand a little. A buddy had them on his Hammerli and I almost like then better.

Yes, I had a set of Rinks and shot with them for a long time. The factory Pardini grip was a large and it was a little too big. I couldn't find a medium and when I sold the gun with the Rink. I recently found the original grip and would love to give it to the NESer that bought it but I don't have his intel anymore.

Back
Top Bottom