• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Model 1911 SC - Opinions?

LenS said:
Darius, can you please clarify one issue?

Is it 4 guns/within 12 months?

Or is the clock reset every January 1st?

This question comes up frequently and although I've researched it before, I don't really recall the answer (a citation would be useful . . . I suspect it would be a CMR). I don't usually sell my guns (although I will have 1-3 for sale shortly) so I don't usually pay attention to this issue.

Len, it is four private transfers per calendar year. For the source of this law, take a look at the first sentence of the second paragraph of MGL Ch. 140, S. 128A.

That is the only reason that I can think of that has even a little bit of logic.

I thought that it was a backdoor attempt to trap those who bought guns to re-sell to those who could not buy them legally.

Okay... I might be skirting the edge of OT here, but it seems to have taken that angle anyways...

For a PRIVATE sale of a handgun (one that is MA legal), one need only submit an FA-10 form, correct?

I'm talking about a permitted MA gun owner selling a MA-legal firearm to another legally permitted MA resident. All that is required is the FA-10 form.

For my own records, I'd like to have a bill-of-sale, but I don't believe that is required to comply with state and federal law, is that correct?

Thanks!

For my own records, I'd like to have a bill-of-sale, but I don't believe that is required to comply with state and federal law, is that correct?

AFAIK, that is correct. All the state cares about in a personal transfer is the FA-10. Now, like you, I would prefer to have a seperate bill of sale, or something to back me up.

Jay G said:
Okay... I might be skirting the edge of OT here, but it seems to have taken that angle anyways...

For a PRIVATE sale of a handgun (one that is MA legal), one need only submit an FA-10 form, correct?

I'm talking about a permitted MA gun owner selling a MA-legal firearm to another legally permitted MA resident. All that is required is the FA-10 form.

Thanks!

You are correct, sir.

Whew. Glad that's answered. Now about that S&W 1911...

From your experience, how well do the S&W parts swap out with aftermarket 1911 parts? Is it a true 1911 dimensionally?

Also, Has anyone had experience with the other S&W 45s like the 4516, the 4517, etc? I see plenty of SS S&W 45s in 3.5, 4, 4.5 bbl, but haven't hweard much about how people like them.

Back
Top Bottom