S&W Mod 60 - 3"

I was at the show and saw a neat little pistol - S&W Mod 60, 3" round butt - 5 shot. I thought the balance was nice overall - seems like a nice do-all package for EDC

Does anyone here have experience good or bad on the piece?

Thanks

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...ew-smith-wesson-model-60-357-magnum-take-two/

IMG_0060-1024x764.jpg

I used to carry a snub nosed model 60. I can't remember the dash number but it was made in '83. Very nice little gun and more accurate that you might think. Mine was very reliable with a very smooth trigger pull. It can be a little tough on the hands during an extended range session. Light reloads make those J Frames a pleasure to shoot IMO. I used to carry mine in a $25 IWB soft holster. I would be happy to EDC one of those again, as long as it's reliable in rapid fire.

Edit

The newer mod 60s are 357 Mag and is noticeably bulkier and heavier than the older models. They also have worse triggers and the infernal/internal lock. I'd still go with a low dash prelock .38 spl loaded with +p ammo (yes I know the old one's aren't rated for it)

Last edited:
I used to carry a snub nosed model 60. I can't remember the dash number but it was made in '83. Very nice little gun and more accurate that you might think. Mine was very reliable with a very smooth trigger pull. It can be a little tough on the hands during an extended range session. Light reloads make those J Frames a pleasure to shoot IMO. I used to carry mine in a $25 IWB soft holster. I would be happy to EDC one of those again, as long as it's reliable in rapid fire.

Edit

The newer mod 60s are 357 Mag and is noticeably bulkier and heavier than the older models. They also have worse triggers and the infernal/internal lock. I'd still go with a low dash prelock .38 spl loaded with +p ammo (yes I know the old one's aren't rated for it)

Can you expand on the dashity-dash talk above? What years of mfgr are you talking about? Part of me wants to recommend one to a friend that wants a do-all gun but has little experience and a tight budget. The 357 is desired and I've been thinking of one for myself; good for goose = good for gander

Thanks

I have a model 60 pro 3 inch and highly recommend it. The 3" barrel is good enough for the range, and it is short/light enough for an iwb holster. 38s are easy. 357s are manageable, but wouldn't want to make a range day of them. Tthe trigger on the pro is great.

If you are looking for value, FS has 3" ruger sp101s on sale. Heavier, and trigger isn't as nice. But it is a reliable tank.

I have a model 60 pro 3 inch and highly recommend it. The 3" barrel is good enough for the range, and it is short/light enough for an iwb holster. 38s are easy. 357s are manageable, but wouldn't want to make a range day of them. Tthe trigger on the pro is great.

+1 on the model 60 Pro. Picked one up at Collectors a couple of years ago. Conceals well in my IWB holster.

I have a 3" Model 60. I bought it when I was teaching because some of the folks that I taught had small hands.

As much as I love revolvers, that gun is not something I would carry. It is too big and heavy for a pocket and if I'm going to carry a gun on my belt, I can carry something better.

If i want to carry a revolver my 2.5 in Model 66 is 6 shots, and being a K-frame it has a much better trigger than the 60. Even with a trigger job, none of my 3 j-frames can match a k-frame trigger. The 66 is a bit heavier, which helps when shooting .357. The 60 and 357 just isn't any fun, IMO.

I had, and sold, an sp101. I don't miss it. Like the 60, it just doesn't fill any niche for me.

These days I am mostly carrying my Glock 23. I can conceal it as easily as a 3" 60, it is easier to shoot, it is relatively light, capacity is much greater, and reloads are faster and easier. Like all Glocks, it needed real sights and a trigger job, but both are easy.

Back
Top Bottom