S&W M&P15-22 P??

msdamato

NES Member
Heres the link if anyone does not know of this toy.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57996_757781_757781_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

So, a LEO I know has one of thease in MA and may be looking to sell it. After shooting it a few weeks back I decided there is no usefull purpose for it to even exist, but if he is selling it I gotta have it. Bummer I'll have to get 10 round mags.

The question is can I have it?? Will it transfer as a pistol or is it subject to AWB? Will I have to change the flash supressor and weld it?

No, you cannot. Unless you find a way to knock some ounces off before you take it. Needs to be below 50 ounces.

Is the 50oz requirement WITH the mag or without? Because you could easily shave an ounce off if you used a short 10round mag.

I didn't think of the weight being a problem. I guess I thought to be a pistol it needed to be 51 oz and that's why s&s puts the weight on the page.
Is it different in ma or am I just wrong?

I wonder how much the flash suppressor weights as opposed to a thread protector?

What about having a gunsmith take the threads off? I'd bet the flash supressor + the half inch of barrel would do it.

I didn't think of the weight being a problem. I guess I thought to be a pistol it needed to be 51 oz and that's why s&s puts the weight on the page.
Is it different in ma or am I just wrong?

I wonder how much the flash suppressor weights as opposed to a thread protector?

What about having a gunsmith take the threads off? I'd bet the flash supressor + the half inch of barrel would do it.

The 51oz rule is in the AWB regarding 'assault pistols'.

My guess is that S&W made it 51oz for a reason. Not that it would have been approved for sale in MA anyway.

I guess the barrel shroud is an issue as well.
Thanks for the link to the GSG maybe I can get my buddy to find on for me

This would seem to be a post-ban assault pistol...

Magazine outside of grip - Check
Threaded barrel - Check
Barrel shroud - Check
Weight over 50 oz. - Check

...and as such would be illegal to possess in MA (even by a LEO, unless for "purposes of law enforcement"). Additionally, it can't be brought into compliance due to the current administrative position "once an assault weapon, always an assault weapon".

Threaded barrel - Check
Barrel shroud - Check

...and as such would be illegal to possess in MA (even by a LEO, unless for "purposes of law enforcement"). Additionally, it can't be brought into compliance due to the current administrative position "once an assault weapon, always an assault weapon".

Isn't that last part up for debate? If not A LOT of people in MA own assault weapons.

Isn't that last part up for debate? If not A LOT of people in MA own assault weapons.

Since some chiefs are calling the mfrs to verify the "pedigree" when it left the factory, good luck with that.

Yes, a lot of people in MA own allegedly illegal "assault weapons". They might win in court, but the "ride" will be very expensive and bumpy along the way for a few years.

Threaded barrel - Check
Barrel shroud - Check

Also, we should note that the website linked in the OP says right on it "Restricted for sale in: ... MA ..."

Since some chiefs are calling the mfrs to verify the "pedigree" when it left the factory, good luck with that.

Yes, a lot of people in MA own allegedly illegal "assault weapons". They might win in court, but the "ride" will be very expensive and bumpy along the way for a few years.

How would the chiefs have the serial numbers unless they already had the guns? And why would a COP be playing DA?

How would the chiefs have the serial numbers unless they already had the guns? And why would a COP be playing DA?

Yup, they are doing it on confiscated guns. Ever hear of a 209A confiscation? They have the guns and S/Ns and looking to hook the guy up.

DAs don't prosecute anyone that the police don't charge with a crime, thus it is legit police work to investigate if a crime was committed. Yes, I think it's a witch-hunt, but it is what it is!

Its almost a shame that it will only come up if you get jammed up with something else.
I find it hard to believe that one would hold up on it's own merit.

I'm sure it's another great tool to get people to take a plea.

I can't wait to get out of this craphole.

From the AWB? No. Unless it is a department issued rifle. Which you usually would not be allowed to keep.

Not to mention the improbability that a .22LR AR pistol would be dept issued in the first place [laugh]

Not for normal police work, that's for sure.

I could only see this if it was issued to Animal Control Officers (if sworn as LE, some are) to use to euthanize injured animals out in the field. Even there, very unlikely.

From the AWB? No. Unless it is a department issued rifle. Which you usually would not be allowed to keep.

For some reason, I thought the "P" meant "Police". Now realizing it is for "Pistol". Still, I thought they could buy lots of things we cannot.

Not for normal police work, that's for sure.

I could only see this if it was issued to Animal Control Officers (if sworn as LE, some are) to use to euthanize injured animals out in the field. Even there, very unlikely.

I suppose if an ACO really wanted one, and was part of a podunk department, it might happen. Otherwise, a Ruger Mark or Browning Buckmark would probably be what I would expect to see.

So is ammo at CTD.

But here's the difference. CTD says that because the AG threatened legal action if they didn't stop selling to MA. S&W is based in MA, and has a ton of models approved for sale. If anyone has a good handle on pistol compliance, it's them. The logical step, therefor, is that if S&W comes out and says "This item is restricted for sale in: MA" (not to mention, the other states that still have AWBs), you ought to believe them.

My LEO buddy is involved in ordering guns for his department and has access to all of them when I go to shoot with him. I don't know how he came into this one or even if it is actually his, but he did say "i should sell this, I could use the cash". Then again he's full of shit most of the time anyways. He probably borrowed it from his brother in NH.

I'll see him next week and ask what the deal is. He is also not up to snuff on the civilian laws, probably because he buys everything throught the department.

Oh well a man can dream can't he!!!

My LEO buddy is involved in ordering guns for his department and has access to all of them when I go to shoot with him. I don't know how he came into this one or even if it is actually his, but he did say "i should sell this, I could use the cash". Then again he's full of shit most of the time anyways. He probably borrowed it from his brother in NH.

I'll see him next week and ask what the deal is. He is also not up to snuff on the civilian laws, probably because he buys everything throught the department.

I suggest that you NOT post whatever you learn.

There are people who troll NES looking to jam people up . . . even cops! [shocked]

No need to "feed the trolls" is there?

Back
Top Bottom