• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P Shield Plus

Weekdays when wearing dress pants or a suit the 43x wins all day. Weekends when wearing jeans I'll go to the M&P 2.0 compact 4" with light and reddot.
Now carrying the 43x the majority of the time I want to have same capacity, decent light output (greater than 100 lumens), and a reddot. S&W's bigger blunder is the lack of rails, obviously there is a market to put a 300 plus lumen light of this new platform with surefire and streamlight manufacturing them.
Don't get all Butthurt but where do You go at night where you need 300+ lumen Light on a 4" barrel gun?

Weekdays when wearing dress pants or a suit the 43x wins all day. Weekends when wearing jeans I'll go to the M&P 2.0 compact 4" with light and reddot.
Now carrying the 43x the majority of the time I want to have same capacity, decent light output (greater than 100 lumens), and a reddot. S&W's bigger blunder is the lack of rails, obviously there is a market to put a 300 plus lumen light of this new platform with surefire and streamlight manufacturing them.

lol, no, it's not. The reality is quite literally, statistically, the equivalent of only you actually care about that. A mini with both a TV set and a flashlight on it is a gun hipster thing. And rarely, once in a blue moon, someone in LE wants it. Nobody at S&W, Glock, Kahr, or a bunch of other companies that don't do rails on little guns is losing sleep (or even a lot of sales) over not having a rail there. By this point even the TV set fad is eclipsing lights of any and all kinds by huge margins. I'm not even saying a light isn't valuable. No. I'm saying people largely don't care. Even at gun retail you get 10 times the amount of morons asking for a visible laser over a light.

At gun retail, NOBODY ever says "I want a tiny gun I can mount a flashlight on". Nobody does this. It's like someone going into McDonalds and saying "Can I have a cup of AIDS on the side with my Big Mac?" [laugh] Also, nobody ever says "I was going to buy X but theres no light rail, so I have eliminated it from consideration" [rofl] that basically never happens.

Like food for thought, I went on google images search and did like a dozen or so searches to find an RDS AND a light mounted on a regular Sig P365. I found a FEW pictures, but not metric tons of guns set up like that. Why? Most people that own them think its stupid- and they're going to upgrade to something larger if they actually wanted both. When I think of my circle of shooting buddies, I know a lot of guys with TV sets, and some with TV sets and Lights, and some with just lights. When these guys have attachments, they're on more normal sized handguns. If they are rocking a mini or sub type gun, there's usually not shit hanging off the gun- because it defeats the whole purpose of carrying the tiny gun.

Don't get all Butthurt but where do You go at night where you need 300+ lumen Light on a 4" barrel gun?

I don't think he's so much butthurt as he is out of touch with reality. Most of the buyers in the market arent gun hipsters and don't need guns with an ashtray coming off each side of the gun and LED mood lighting.

Most of the buyers in the market arent gun hipsters and don't need guns with an ashtray coming off each side of the gun and LED mood lighting.
Aftermarket works better, anyhow.
12083-mlt_stripe_light_fingers_comp_600.gif

Can massachusset residents buy shield + yet?if not when it gona be here? I got sick of cc my lc9s and a bunch of mags, it be nice if i can cut down on the number of mags i have to carry.

Can massachusset residents buy shield + yet?if not when it gona be here? I got sick of cc my lc9s and a bunch of mags, it be nice if i can cut down on the number of mags i have to carry.
They list a 10# trigger model with both a safety and no safety so I would assume these are MA compliant.

A swing and a miss for S&W. Despite having to play catch-up with its competitors they failed to release an optics ready/ rail high cap micro-compact. Also judging on how uncomfortable the grip feels (same feeling like the Shield 1.0 and 2.0) I suspect they could have made the grip slightly wider to increase capacity to 12 and 15 rounds. What do you thing of the S&W M&P Shield Plus Minus?
Swing and a miss?

They did the smart move, they kept it cross compatible with all of the older model guns for aftermarket support and parts. If you make the shield a wider gun then you have the regular M&P full size line lmao. Sure capacity is important but not the end all be all selling point.

They also fixed their horrid hinged trigger design which has kept me from keeping their guns in the past. (I do not replace triggers on carry guns)

Also, you expect S&W to change the grip of one of their most successful pistols?

This a great thing Smith & Wesson did, an I am no Smith fan boy

Last edited:
Idk, you seem pretty defensive yourself... funny enough I posted about S&W releasing an increased capacity shied day's prior to the plus announcement. I was hoping to purchase one since I've already got a 2.0 compact. Just disappointed they released a insufficient gun compared to the competition.

As far as the grip goes they feel like a triangle. Creating a weird pressure point in the front. If S&W wanted standout they would release a factory 15 rounder. Beating glocks lazy attempt with the 43x and 48. I thought about getting rid of my 43x for the shield, but the 43x is so much more comfortably to grip.

I and many others want a reddot and light, so now I'd rather a 43x mos for its factory slide and rail. The carry culture is changing and for the shield to be the last man in, it's pretty mediocre.
Wait wait wait....

You said S&W failed because of capacity (10 or 13 rds) but you you are a fan of the 43X which is bigger and only holds 10 rounds?!

If you think Smith & Wesson is insufficient, oh boy I suggest you do some research on Sig and all their problems over the past few years

I'm curious to see how this sells. P365 has been on the market now for a couple of years and sold like crazy. S&W is pretty late in responding to the P365. The only hope is the backlog of new guns owners trying to buy something. As a P365 owner myself, I have no interest in this new model. Just my .02

I'm curious to see how this sells. P365 has been on the market now for a couple of years and sold like crazy. S&W is pretty late in responding to the P365. The only hope is the backlog of new guns owners trying to buy something. As a P365 owner myself, I have no interest in this new model. Just my .02

Most "365 people" would never buy this gun and vice versa. Sure there is some cross shop, but smith likely did this because they knew ruger was going further into this space. That said, 50% of the buyers will probably be smith fanbois. [laugh]

Pffffffffft
The 365 is sooooooooo 3 months ago. I'll trade mine in on this new rebranded version of the old version.
I HAVE TO HAVE THE NEWEST ONE!!!!!
so I can hold on to it for a few months and trade it in for something else

I suppose i'm supposed to put some kind of "end sarcasm" disclaimer right.........about..........here -> ...

Having touched one of these today I talked to another person standing nearby who was interested in one that was somehow delusional in believing that S&W was going to introduce a mainstream MOS version I was like "dude thats not happening. This is smith". [rofl]

That said, seemed decent. The new trigger alone is a good improvement. Hopefully all the M&Ps get that instead of the f***o rubber band lever they have now.

I like the Shield .45. and own 2. I carry it daily and own 2 so I can practice without beating the shit out of it. I'd buy a Plus if they'd make one in .45. The Shield offers something that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. Reliability. I've owned and carried small .45s from Para, Kahr and Glock before I went to the S&W and all developed the same problem. Light strikes. Para and Kahr didn't have an explanation and Glock told me I wasn't holding the gun tightly enough. My theory is that it's difficult to design a little pistol that shoots a big bullet. I guess S&W got it right.

A swing and a miss for S&W. Despite having to play catch-up with its competitors they failed to release an optics ready/ rail high cap micro-compact. Also judging on how uncomfortable the grip feels (same feeling like the Shield 1.0 and 2.0) I suspect they could have made the grip slightly wider to increase capacity to 12 and 15 rounds. What do you thing of the S&W M&P Shield Plus Minus?
SW is famous for always f*cking it up.

For example, there is no reason why a lot of their guns they sell as performance center "competiton" ready are not set up to use optics without having to remove the iron sights (revolvers). Just machine the damn thing and charge me an extra $50 if I am already paying $1200+.

Clearly desicions made by a bunch of c*nts sitting in a conference room.

It's so funny I always think about how back in the late 90's S&W made their SW99 which was obviously their take on Walther's P99. That gun was awesome. They never really marketed that thing and then they stop production and go with the M&P's and then market the shit out of them. Then Canik makes a P99/SW99 clone and the thing is obviously awesome and sells out like crazy. Never could understand that thinking with S&W

Thinking about selling my old gen Shield 9mm (no safety) to get a Shield plus. Better trigger ergos and larger capacity? Seems like a win.

I had a trigger job done on my shield so it’s like 5-5.5 lbs. Not an apex kit though.
i've basically got the poor-man's Shield Plus already - Apex trigger, and a bunch of these on my mags. Not really any harder to conceal, definitely fits better on my paws. But it's not new and shiny...
and this one on a 7, that's what I actually carry 99% of the time:

They fixed the sandpaper grips I see. So I wasn’t the only one who had to stick Talons on them to avoid a raw patch on my guts.

It's so funny I always think about how back in the late 90's S&W made their SW99 which was obviously their take on Walther's P99. That gun was awesome. They never really marketed that thing and then they stop production and go with the M&P's and then market the shit out of them. Then Canik makes a P99/SW99 clone and the thing is obviously awesome and sells out like crazy. Never could understand that thinking with S&W
As a former SW99 owner the Canik clones are on their own planet.

Also Smith got the frames for those guns from Walther. Several years ago Smith and Walther "divorced".

@drgrant your posts are falling upon deaf ears.

On the topic, M&Pee Shields are gayer than a bag of post op tranny dicks on their way to P-Town in a Geo Metro.

They fixed the sandpaper grips I see. So I wasn’t the only one who had to stick Talons on them to avoid a raw patch on my guts.
Username checks out.

1. You can have any handgun you want in mass if you do some homework and find an ffl that'll take care of you. Legally.

2. Bunch of mags that you have to carry? What do you do that you need a bunch of mags on a daily basis when carrying a sub compact heater?

If you’re one of the folks who cares/looks at the “list”, word on the street is that they’ll be making the list for June.

I think @MAGAArms sells them but only in .40

I like the Shield .45. and own 2. I carry it daily and own 2 so I can practice without beating the shit out of it. I'd buy a Plus if they'd make one in .45. The Shield offers something that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet. Reliability. I've owned and carried small .45s from Para, Kahr and Glock before I went to the S&W and all developed the same problem. Light strikes. Para and Kahr didn't have an explanation and Glock told me I wasn't holding the gun tightly enough. My theory is that it's difficult to design a little pistol that shoots a big bullet. I guess S&W got it right.
Has S&W ever been more reliable than... anything? It's a company with a long history of poor quality control and spotty customer service. As far as Glock goes, none of mine have ever had a light strike, including the G30 I carry.

I can’t imagine any scenario where I put a red dot on my edc. That’s just me though. How long before we add magnifiers as well?
Eh, I’m not carrying with a red dot yet, but they’re just better. Better because you can focus on the threat instead of the front site. Better because it’s easier to shoot with both eyes open for situational awareness. Better because they eliminate sight alignment from the list of things you need to do. Yes, you need to get used to presentation with the dot, but that really doesn’t take long.

Aaron Cowan with Sage Dynamics had completed a good white paper on his findings after a few years of research. The data are pretty convincing:

His white paper is specific to LE duty guns, but has significant applicability to carry guns with the availability of durable micro red dots now.

1. You can have any handgun you want in mass if you do some homework and find an ffl that'll take care of you. Legally.

2. Bunch of mags that you have to carry? What do you do that you need a bunch of mags on a daily basis when carrying a sub compact heater?
I live and work in bad areas, need all them mags.
I like an s&w m&p 2.0 sub compact in .40 ,or a new shield + with 10rd mags,if anyones sell em let me know.

lol, no, it's not. The reality is quite literally, statistically, the equivalent of only you actually care about that. A mini with both a TV set and a flashlight on it is a gun hipster thing. And rarely, once in a blue moon, someone in LE wants it. Nobody at S&W, Glock, Kahr, or a bunch of other companies that don't do rails on little guns is losing sleep (or even a lot of sales) over not having a rail there. By this point even the TV set fad is eclipsing lights of any and all kinds by huge margins. I'm not even saying a light isn't valuable. No. I'm saying people largely don't care. Even at gun retail you get 10 times the amount of morons asking for a visible laser over a light.

At gun retail, NOBODY ever says "I want a tiny gun I can mount a flashlight on". Nobody does this. It's like someone going into McDonalds and saying "Can I have a cup of AIDS on the side with my Big Mac?" [laugh] Also, nobody ever says "I was going to buy X but theres no light rail, so I have eliminated it from consideration" [rofl] that basically never happens.

Like food for thought, I went on google images search and did like a dozen or so searches to find an RDS AND a light mounted on a regular Sig P365. I found a FEW pictures, but not metric tons of guns set up like that. Why? Most people that own them think its stupid- and they're going to upgrade to something larger if they actually wanted both. When I think of my circle of shooting buddies, I know a lot of guys with TV sets, and some with TV sets and Lights, and some with just lights. When these guys have attachments, they're on more normal sized handguns. If they are rocking a mini or sub type gun, there's usually not shit hanging off the gun- because it defeats the whole purpose of carrying the tiny gun.

I've never understood putting an optic on a sub/micro compact. It's a carry gun. In any real world scenario, you're going to be shooting at a human sized target within 10 feet of you.

How complicated of a sighting system do you need?

Aaaand S&W does the dick thing releasing the optic ready milled slide version with factory Tritium sights a few months late:
PLUS-04.png
PLUS-FEATURED-660x385.png

I imagine at some point they will refine the front of the trigger guard to provide a grasping surface and maybe add a tiny rail for a micro light/laser unit rather than their typical trigger guard mounted accessories for the Shield from Crimson Trace for the geardos.

I personally think the MRD on a micro is stupid and defeats the purpose, but these guns should come with factory night sights as carry guns and it was dumb that S&W didn't make those standard from the get go like their competition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom