• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

s&w m&p 9mm or Ruger sr9

I am looking to get a 9mm next month, does anyone have experience with either of these guns? Which is the better gun?

M&P.

The M&P is IMO far better than the Ruger. In quality, performance, reliability.

Owned two M&P. "Tested" my buddies Ruger SR9 (after the Ruger safety recall on that firearm) and I am not impressed.
(Not that I, myself is a highly recognized firearms tester, I am a fan of stiker fired handguns and have had many glocks, and M&P's and have worked on them as well. Just like I will say the Sigma is a piece of junk directly copied from Glock, the Ruger SR9 is this generation's and company's idea of getting into the polymer-framed pistol market.

The M&P is what I would call: "an upgraded Glock" (and Im a glock fan!)

The M&P by S&W fills the gaps Glock and other companies didn't think about years ago and like some more recent companies in the polymer framed market (HK for example) have made this generation more "user-friendly"
Features like the three differnt palm-swells are great. The gun feels more natural to hold, less "precieved" recoil in your .40 and .357 calibers.

THe Ruger has a grip that can be swapped around but the entire gun in and out boils down to the same general observation:
Quality... yay, or nay.

M&P yay.
Ruger nay.

The only complaint I have heard regarding the M&P is the "mushy" trigger.
Some say it is not as crisp as others, or doesn't break like other brands etc.
Every trigger is differnt, I wasn't a fan of the MA 10lb pull, but with the CORRECT
trigger work by someone that knows what they are doing this can be fixed.

Last edited:
There's a thread about the SR9 here.

There are countless posts on the M&P.

You already know my opinion [wink]. The M&P's have ambidextrous slide stop and mag releases, I'm not sure about the SR9.

Ok, sounds like the M&P takes it in a landslide. Now I need to pony up another 100 bucks. I would rather get the right one 1st rather than upgrade later. Thanks all for the input. I don't know squat yet.

Ok, sounds like the M&P takes it in a landslide. Now I need to pony up another 100 bucks. I would rather get the right one 1st rather than upgrade later. Thanks all for the input. I don't know squat yet.

You know enough to make such a correct observation as that. "rather get the right one first than upgrade later"

That is how alot of us learned... the hard way by buying a ton of pistols to try them all out if we couldn't find someone with a certain model/caliber etc. [crying]

I have an M&P in .40 and the SR9. I agree with the posts here that the M&P is better overall with the grips, etc. The SR9 does have the ambi mag release and man safety. I think the two-tone SR9 is aesthetically cooler but that's just pure preference. You also can get the extra 2 mag deal from S&W if you pick up the M&P soon, and that's an $80 deal.

If I had to buy one or the other, I guess I'd get the M&P. If I could only have one 9mm, it would be a Sig 229.

shot both, bought the SR9. 500 rounds not 1 single issue. thinner grip than the M&P ( felt a little better in my hand and on my hip ) Comes stock with a ambi 1911 style safety ( S&W charges more for the safety and most dealers dont stock it ) If you look arond you'll find the SR9 in the $430 ish price range

but, 2 free mags with the M&P is kinda cool

the biggest question is, which one "feels" better in "your" hand No matter what anyones " buddy" has or says its your hand that holds it. Both companys stand begind their product for pretty much forever.......

If you are trying to "fit in" def. get the M&P otherwise just get what "fits" you drb

Last edited:
shot both, bought the SR9. 500 rounds not 1 single issue. thinner grip than the M&P ( felt a little better in my hand and on my hip ) Comes stock with a ambi 1911 style safety ( S&W charges more for the safety and most dealers dont stock it ) If you look arond you'll find the SR9 in the $430 ish price range

but, 2 free mags with the M&P is kinda cool

the biggest question is, which one "feels" better in "your" hand No matter what anyones " buddy" has or says its your hand that holds it. Both companys stand begind their product for pretty much forever.......

If you are trying to "fit in" def. get the M&P otherwise just get what "fits" you drb

To be honest I like the way the Ruger felt in my hand better. What will probably happen is I will get the Sr9 and eventually get the m&p down the road. I did the same with my .22 handguns. Got the S&W 22a 1st.. and 2 weeks later got a Ruger mkIII. The Bug has bitten

To be honest I like the way the Ruger felt in my hand better. What will probably happen is I will get the Sr9 and eventually get the m&p down the road. I did the same with my .22 handguns. Got the S&W 22a 1st.. and 2 weeks later got a Ruger mkIII. The Bug has bitten

Glad to hear!! when in doubt buy both!! Seriously, too many people get sucked into "my buddy" stories or buy the "in" gun...... its not a handbag ladies! it is supposed to serve a purpose! Buy a reputable product that fit YOU!

How do you like the MKIII? thats my next purchase! I decided on the MKIII 22/45 Kinda similar feel to my SR9 with a grip my wife could hold on to more comfortably than the 22-a

I got the Ruger and Smith and Wesson Pictured below. The Ruger has a real nice balance and feel to it. I like the Smith and Wesson as well. I have not shot them yet because I won't have a club membership until next month. It's amazing the ammt of bullcrap you have to go through to get into this hobby. The whole process started the end of November.
248L.jpg

107431_large.jpg

I ended up getting the Ruger SR9 today. I am pretty happy with the purchase, looks like a solid gun and fits well in my hand.

Congrats on your purchase!

I was planning on posting my love of my M&P 9mm compact (only after Dave Santurri fixed my trigger) but its a little late now....huh?

Anyway - hows the Ruger shoot?

Back
Top Bottom