S&W M&P 9mm mag. Hard to load 10 issue ??

Is it just me ? Is any body else having trouble getting the 10th round into a 9mm M&P mag. ?? I called Smith and they told me to push the follower in w/a ruler ????????????[hmmm]

Last edited:
You can just force it, which is what I do. There's a post around here on how to modify the follower to still only hold 10, but to be less of a pain in the ass.

My wife got an M&P 9 a couple months ago and she couldn't load the 10th round in any of her mags. I was able to get the last round in, but that follower spring was damn stubborn. She just leaves the mags loaded 24/7 and they've loosened up enough that she can now load them to capacity herself without issue.

Have your husband load the mag

[laugh]

i had to just jam em in there, but since mine isn't a carry gun... i left them loaded w / 9 rounds for a couple weeks

on my Glocks, specifically my 19... i carried it with 14 rounds (13+1) for a few weeks too...

i didnt want to risk a malfuction [thinking]

Is it just me ? Is any body else having trouble getting the 10th round into a 9mm M&P mag. ?? I called Smith and they told me to push the follower in w/a ruler ????????????[hmmm]

use a loader, that's what they are made for. Eventually, the springs will break in and loosen up a bit, but a loader is still the best option.

Load the mags to full capacity and leave them loaded when in storage. It will help break the spring in a bit and make it easier.

Cripplemags suck, but unfortunately in MA most folks have little choice in the matter. (well, at least if you are concerned about staying in the clear legally. )

-Mike

I also noticed that it's not a 10+1 pistol. Once I strip one from the mag and chamber it I can add a 10th round back into the mag but the mag wont go back into the pistol. Booo!!!!

Mine were the same way, they went in so tight that when I slammed the mag in, the slide would release and chamber the 1st round. I recently got a new mag and it does the same thing.
They'll loosen up like others said. Leave them loaded.

I also noticed that it's not a 10+1 pistol. Once I strip one from the mag and chamber it I can add a 10th round back into the mag but the mag wont go back into the pistol. Booo!!!!

It will if you want, the tension of the spring is preventing it... You can lock the slide back and put the mag in.
I do recommend loading them up and leaving them when you're not using until they're happier and will load normally at full cap tho.

It will. Just takes a tap on the bottom of the mag.

If that doesn't work, your magazines may need some internal attention.

i CAN load mine 10+1 no problem now btw

[smile] is it an ealier vs later production mag issue? or i'm just scrooonnng [rofl]

I believe the most recently made mags have a different follower design that complicates matters by leaving ONLY enough room in the mag for 10 rounds, the follower, and the fully compressed spring. I have older mags (only by a few months) and they have broken in fine.

As others mentioned, it is a 10+1 capacity but because of the tight capacity on the mag, it doesn't seat easily. You may have to really pound it in.

Ok, after making many mistakes with forcing things in the past I decided not to with the firearms. 1 of the first times I restrained myself but if you guys say it takes more then a limp wrist sissy slap I'll try it.

Mine were the same way, they went in so tight that when I slammed the mag in, the slide would release and chamber the 1st round. I recently got a new mag and it does the same thing.
They'll loosen up like others said. Leave them loaded.

MANY of us consider this a BENEFIT! Rapid reloads. I can make this happen with a number of different mfr guns and use it to my advantage.

Ok, after making many mistakes with forcing things in the past I decided not to with the firearms. 1 of the first times I restrained myself but if you guys say it takes more then a limp wrist sissy slap I'll try it.

Yup, slap it in there.

It's the "new" followers. A maglula helps get the 10th round in but doesn't fix the underlying problem. You can leave it fully loaded for an eternity and it doesn't fix the problem. You have to trim the follower if you want to be able to 10+1 reliably. Take a look at the post by Timmay.

This problem seems to be quite common. A few weeks ago I was at MRA in Woburn and a fellow was there with a new Ruger semi auto in 40 S&W and he was having a bear of a time loading the mags. He asked if I could help and I'm used to stiff mag springs but these were nothing short of what a tranquillized gorilla could handle. Even the loader that came with the pistol was of little use.

It's the "new" followers. A maglula helps get the 10th round in but doesn't fix the underlying problem. You can leave it fully loaded for an eternity and it doesn't fix the problem. You have to trim the follower if you want to be able to 10+1 reliably. Take a look at the post by Timmay.

Good to know, but one has to wonder why S&W changed the follower. Maybe it was "too easy" to get an 11th round in the old ones?

A little segue here, point of comparison, whatever you want to call it....

Every time I see a cripple mag, especially one of the ones with the tube cut down and the block on the bottom of it, I have to try really hard not to throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I've gotten into several discussions/debates on NES about why cripplemags are s**t, but this thread has only further proved my case.

Even among cripplemags there are quality differences, too...

magazine.jpg

As opposed to this.... this is a checkmate 10 rounder, but Beretta makes their factory 10 rounders like this too.... Still lame because its 10 rounds, but still significantly less lame because the tube is this monolithic unit, instead of the hack job above.

berettacripple.jpg

FWIW I recently saw a Sig 9mm that has cripplemags similar to the Beretta design, and they used to use the block of gay, so even they figured out that it wasn't a good idea.

It's worth mentioning that S&W isn't the only one who screws this up.... I don't think anyone can top HK, really.

This particular 10 round design is the epitome of the "HK: Because you suck. And we hate you. " design philosophy.

usp4510round.jpg

The design defect in this gem isn't immediately apparent... If you drop this mag on a hard surface while fully loaded, the hidden thin, vertical tabs that lock in the sides of the mag can shear off, and the mag basically explodes and spills its guts and content on the ground. Worse yet, none of the parts of the bottom end of the mag are very common.

-Mike

Last edited:
Good to know, but one has to wonder why S&W changed the follower. Maybe it was "too easy" to get an 11th round in the old ones?

I have no idea why. There is NO way I could get 11 in with the "old" followers.

A little segue here, point of comparison, whatever you want to call it....

Every time I see a cripple mag, especially one of the ones with the tube cut down and the block on the bottom of it, I have to try really hard not to throw up in my mouth a little bit.

Does it suck to have a cripple mag? It sure does. I don't really care what they look like, as long as they function. With the old followers the M&P mags have run like a top for me. The added benefit is that I can just swap the cripple plastic floor plate between my M&P fullsize and compact mags since the body is the same size.

Thank you. Right now I see this as the only solution. Curiosly when I spoke to S&W they seemed defensive about it, almost like it's a huge problem they hope just goes away. It sucks enough being restricted to 10 round mags, never mind 10's that are 9+1's

Like eisenhow said, the advantage of the block bottomed cripplemags is that they're the same tubes as the compact mags. You can buy spare basepads and swap them back and forth.

My guess on the new follower is it either lowered production cost or improved reliability in the standard cap mags and they never tested them in the 10 rounders.

I also use an Uplula and have no problems.

It may help that all my mags are more than two years old (no new ones).

That's what it is, they changed the shape of the follower. The first one I came across was just over a year ago. The old ones worked fine.

Mag-lula is the answer. It really helps getting the last 1 or 2 rounds in the mag w/o a major struggle.

The UPLula won't load the 10th round in my M&P, although it will do the other 9 just fine. Weird, but all of the mags are low round count.

As others noted, the magazine will fit in just find as long as you seat it. Whenever I carry my M&P I carry 10+1.

Back
Top Bottom