• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P 9C sighting in advice needed.

My brother in law just bought one and we went to the range today. He had a problem hitting the target so I gave it a try. Same problem. I pretty much had to aim off the target to hit it. Are these usually problematic? Should he mess with the sights? Send it back to Smith and Wesson? I have to think the thing would shoot half decent out of the box. Other than the sighting problem I like how it shoots. Anyone else have problems with theirs?
Get a pink rhino laser cartridge and then you will know for sure where it aims.
Most cheap bore sighters Amazon sells are very off center, inaccurate.

i didn't bother to read all 60 posts so forgive me...why the hell don't you do the tried and true method...let someone who knows how to shoot fire the gun. i'm blunt is all, trying not to be insulting.

Get a pink rhino laser cartridge and then you will know for sure where it aims.
Most cheap bore sighters Amazon sells are very off center, inaccurate.
Artist's conception:
Amazon product ASIN B08713FWGH
I bet those training lasers are all kinds of good.

On the other hand...

If the finish on the muzzle crown
is the most important influence on bullet trajectory,
then how is a chamber bore sight
more accurate than a muzzle bore sight?

Are those O-rings centering it in the chamber perfectly concentric?
-----

Bushnell: Laser Bore Sighter .22-.50 Caliber

As cheap-ass as the day is long.
(Well, there's a plethora of ChiCom knockoffs on Amazon; shudder).
I guess the only downside is I can't use it on .17(7);
but let that go.

But if I'm using it to zero sights,
and it's got an offset,
I can just spin it 90° four times
and aim at the center of the four dots.
Amirite?

i am using this one for 9mm and it is good, tested up to 25yds.
View: https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Rhino-Laser-Training-Cartridge/dp/B07K34W265

as i went with setting up my tavor i tried several bore sighters for .223 and all were absolute garbage. i used an external green laser while looking through the bore to set it, initially, then set a scope to the laser, then adjusted it all at the range, it worked ok.
boresighters then, when checked, were showing a laser dot a good 1.5-2ft away from the zeroed scope at 30yds distance. all went back to amazon.

This subject comes up quite a bit, and I am thinking about writing a short article about it. But the short summary of the article would be "have an experienced shooter shoot the gun."

The sights should not be adjusted until someone who can reliably shoot good groups has shot the gun. If you are not that person, then getting help is invaluable. Specifically, you need someone who can pick up any pistol and shoot a good group to the point of aim where the sights are set. A good group is something like 4" at 25 yards, and proportionately smaller at shorter distances. People who can shoot in this way are called target shooters, and you can usually find some at most clubs.

Giving shooting advice to someone who is not sure about their sights is not helpful. It takes a lot of practice to shoot well, and trying to learn and tweak the sights at the same time rarely works out well.

What really helps people shoot better is seeing someone good shoot their gun. If you are not sure about the sights, and then a good shooter shoots a tight and well centered group with your gun, then you get to continue practicing with confidence about what is going on. Having confidence in your sights, and knowing which shots were mistakes, is very important for developing skills.
"What really helps people shoot better is seeing someone good shoot their gun. " Not always, I had a friend bring his New .22 cal Target pistol to range and let me try it out at 25 yards. I shot a Much tighter group then he did, he was NOT pleased. We never went shotting together again, he was always busy! Oh well, the point is I'm just OK with a pistol, but that gun just fit me and it was like being in the "Zone", he would Not sell it to me.

Artist's conception:
Amazon product ASIN B08713FWGH
I bet those training lasers are all kinds of good.

On the other hand...

If the finish on the muzzle crown
is the most important influence on bullet trajectory,
then how is a chamber bore sight
more accurate than a muzzle bore sight?

Are those O-rings centering it in the chamber perfectly concentric?
-----

Bushnell: Laser Bore Sighter .22-.50 Caliber

As cheap-ass as the day is long.
(Well, there's a plethora of ChiCom knockoffs on Amazon; shudder).
I guess the only downside is I can't use it on .17(7);
but let that go.

But if I'm using it to zero sights,
and it's got an offset,
I can just spin it 90° four times
and aim at the center of the four dots.
Amirite?
IIRC oncthe name , I had a chamberlite laser bore sighter that was off to the point it hit the inside edge of the muzzle, when I called the guy said rotate 90’ intil its centered.... lucky enough i was able to return it.

i do think bore and chamber lasers are a good quick tool to see if everything points in the general direction.

this is what I use now , comes in handy for sure.

some where deep in the closet I have one of these. It might be made by weaver ? It works pretty good for what it is.
Amazon product ASIN B0002LWWBWView: https://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-743333-Boresighter-Case-ARbors/dp/B0002LWWBW

Last edited:
The reality is, that most self-defense situations are within arms length or a little further.
Distance training with your carry pistol is very important, but close-up work is your foundation...

Also, I bring old tee shirts and pull them over cardboard in one of my exercises. No sticky orange dots, no pasty targets in the center.
Just an old, worn tee shirt that a human once wore. It changes their perspective...
Ever wear them after? [rofl]

The reality is, that most self-defense situations are within arms length or a little further.
Distance training with your carry pistol is very important, but close-up work is your foundation...

Also, I bring old tee shirts and pull them over cardboard in one of my exercises. No sticky orange dots, no pasty targets in the center.
Just an old, worn tee shirt that a human once wore. It changes their perspective...

think it’s 3 yards, 3 seconds and 3 rounds for the average shoot.

Back
Top Bottom