• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P 15-22 Thread

UFO

I have searched and searched and cannot believe there isn't an NES S&W M&P 15-22 thread.
If you can direct me to it, much appreciated and apologies for this post.

However, if this post is the starter...

- has anyone fired one / bought one?
- are they worth owning in MA or is the compliant version to limiting?

I know there have been M&P15-22 threads, although perhaps they weren't exclusively that model.

The 15-22 is a great 22 rifle to own -- I have one. I would bet it's the most popular AR pattern 22 (Ruger being the popular more traditional rifle). It's all about fun to shoot and to accessorize.

The 15-22 shoots pretty well and reliably for a 22 semi. The M4 style stock is nice, although it is non-standard in that receiver and stock core are integral. The trigger us so-so at best. And of course the mags are custom. But what makes it work is that it has so much rail, and you can accessorize it like an AR (sights, scopes, foregrips, lights, bipod, etc). And it is lightweight. So it is about having fun. And it also drives exactly like a full AR, so there's a comfort factor, too.

The Mass version has the pinned stock, which sucks, but also no muzzle device of any kind. That does take away from the look, although on a 22 you don't need a suppressor or a brake.

It's a great first rifle to own, but you will eventually want a full-size AR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google is your friend. There's been plenty of threads on here. Have one that's 2 years old. One of the best purchases I've made. Fun to shoot and the kids love it.

I owned one several years ago but sold it. IMHO It was not as accurate as a Ruger 10/22 but It was fun to shoot and very reliable and very easy to maintain. If you don't mind the fixed stock, missing flash supressor and the 10 round magazines I would recommend one for plinking. Four Season's have them for $399.

I own about 10 AR's now..... my 2 15-22's are the most fun gun I have ever shot. As for accuracy.... I was shooting 1\2-3\4" cloverleafs last week with my new camo model at S&W Range at 25yds with a red dot scope. I think a good magnified scope will get me even better, out further.. My wife and I are planning to join a league for an outdoor 22 rifle shoot and can't wait... It was kind of explained that you move through a target field with small targets to knock over at up to 45ft and timed... I think this gun is gonna be a homerun for this kind of compettion..

Also, we have shot many thousands of rounds through our original 15-22, gotta be somewhere north of 5,000 rounds. The new camo has about 500 rds through it now... I'll be shooting it this weekend. [grin]

Good for training ONLY. Mine couldn't keep target ammo inside a quarter at 50 yds. That was POOR considering it has a "match grade" barrel on it! It is also TOO light. It is made of ALL plastic. The LONG blocked 10 round mag LOOKS cool (25 rds in other states where allowed), but is STUPID ..... you can't shoot off a bench with it because it is too long. Not sure if they started shipping those with the shortended 10 rd mags not or not. If you try to mount a scope on it - make sure you have a LONG base! Since the rail is plastic, a single clamp on style sight MOVES/loses zero too easily!!! Trust me on this one. I was happy to get rid of that PIG recently. I took a beating on it when I sold it to a shop. Good riddens!! [frown]

Ruger 10/22 is way more accurate and even after pimping it out with accessories it will still be LESS $! You can find pre-ban hi caps for it as well. Mine is an old one, but the new ones shoot just FINE with the stock barrel. No brainer there - go Ruger 10/22 and you will not regret it.

Alternative is newer Marlin model 60 - very accurate and much less $$ than the Ruger 10/22. Tube feeder, but not an issue IMHO. Worth a look! The deluxe one I got last year can keep ANY ammo inside a nickle on a bad day.

Good luck.

Good for training ONLY. Mine couldn't keep target ammo inside a quarter at 50 yds. That was POOR considering it has a "match grade" barrel on it! It is also TOO light. It is made of ALL plastic. The LONG blocked 10 round mag LOOKS cool (25 rds in other states where allowed), but is STUPID ..... you can't shoot off a bench with it because it is too long. Not sure if they started shipping those with the shortended 10 rd mags not or not. If you try to mount a scope on it - make sure you have a LONG base! Since the rail is plastic, a single clamp on style sight MOVES/loses zero too easily!!! Trust me on this one. I was happy to get rid of that PIG recently. I took a beating on it when I sold it to a shop. Good riddens!! [frown]

Ruger 10/22 is way more accurate and even after pimping it out with accessories it will still be LESS $! You can find pre-ban hi caps for it as well. Mine is an old one, but the new ones shoot just FINE with the stock barrel. No brainer there - go Ruger 10/22 and you will not regret it.

Alternative is newer Marlin model 60 - very accurate and much less $$ than the Ruger 10/22. Tube feeder, but not an issue IMHO. Worth a look! The deluxe one I got last year can keep ANY ammo inside a nickle on a bad day.

Good luck.

Soooo, what is it you do with your 22's that they need to hold a .5 cent vs a .50 cent piece group....

Love it as an AR-15 training tool. I bring out my fastmag AR-15 mag carriers for my belt and practice reloads and different shooting positions with it.

Primary Arms makes a cheap red dot that is an Aimpoint T-1 clone. I run that to mimic the T-1 on my AR.

It is accurate enough if you really learn the trigger. It is slightly gritty, and has a little bit of travel before it breaks. Once I learned the trigger I was able to take out groundhogs and rabbits with CCI Mini Mags at around 80 yards on the farm with a 4x optic. Still ended up dropping it for varmint use, upgraded to a .17 bolt.

Buy one, it's that awesome.

i bought the Colt M4 (15-22) I have zero complaints at all. I went in to buy the Smith and Wesson but for 100 bucks more ended up with the COlt, which the Gun Store Owner told me was a more solidly made gun. hey UFO if you ever get to Braintree and wanna try it out i can meet you and take you at the club here.

I bought a S&W 15-22 about 6 weeks ago and have put nearly 3,000 rounds through it. It's absolutely great! It shoots nearly anything (I've had maybe 4 failure to feeds & works best with the Remington cheap stuff) and is fairly accurate at 100yards. I put a BSA optic 3X9X40 on it and shoot it all the time at Braintree. Great, cheap fun for sure. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Here's a target from last week, I shot 100 rnds dialing in a cheap red dot on our new M&P15-22 camo, the top row first, then the bottom row, then the middle 2. By the time I got to the middle 2 rows, I was having a hard time with these old eyes. PLus, like someone posted earlier, it's possible the scope moved a tad. Gonna check that out more, I love this gun, all shooting was indoor at S&W at 25yds. I think this 22 will shoot with most semi-auto 22's out there just fine.. all ammo was CCCI standard veloscity, lead nose

Camo15-22target.png

Thanks everyone for the informative replies! Great recommendations on scopes as well. I have a feeling that the S&W will be another "CCI Mini-mags only" gun, despite what I've read.
MAGG - thanks for the offer to shoot. I am curious about the Colt as a competitor to the S&W. Is the M4-Ops version MA-compliant? I like the all-rail design of the S&W.
Jack C. - nice shooting. Can it do that at 100 yards? [grin]
SecondAmmended - 3000 rounds? I hope you're not in MA, that's be 300 tedious reloads!

Thanks everyone for the informative replies! Great recommendations on scopes as well. I have a feeling that the S&W will be another "CCI Mini-mags only" gun, despite what I've read.
SecondAmmended - 3000 rounds? I hope you're not in MA, that's be 300 tedious reloads!

Didn't even realize that! Hahaha. My wife's reloaded about half of them though (she loves the 15-22 just as much as me), so it's only been about 150 for me ;)

So for a .22 on an AR platform, in MA, is this the list of choices?
1. S&W M&P 15
2. Colt M4
3. Ruger SR-22 (not really AR though)

I don't see MA-compliant on the Colt site the way we do for S&W and Ruger.

Can we adjust / re-position the stock on the MA-Compliant version of the M&P 15?
Technically, is there a pin that can be moved and if so, are we in violation of one of our great life-saving MA laws?

I have a friend who did this...by drilling-out some of the embedded pin, just enough so that the outer sheath of the stock just slips over the pin, and a very firm push or pull can adjust the stock to another of the 5 or 6 locking stop points. Hey, anything is adjustable if you hit it hard enough (my friend told me to say that).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have a M&P 15-22 with a Tru-Glo 1x red dot and love it. I found that with some cheaper 22 ammo it will have a failure to feed properly. If I use Federal Champion it runs perfectly.

Can we adjust / re-position the stock on the MA-Compliant version of the M&P 15?
Technically, is there a pin that can be moved and if so, are we in violation of one of our great life-saving MA laws?

Yep, you can adjust it. Mine came with a Magpul MOE stock, and was fortunately not blind pinned, so I was able to drive the pin right out and adjust to where I wanted, then just redrilled, and pinned it again. Such an asinine law! I know that my rifles are much less lethal with the pins in place, though.[smile]

Back
Top Bottom