• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W M&P 10MM is hot garbage.

So you had two types of ammo in a single mag?

Not that it really matters with plinking ammo. Have you tried it with real 10mm ammo?

If I saw that press release, I would never buy it. They are telling the public they designed it around a plinking load. Do you have a link from Smith saying this?
About 40 years ago, this big fat guy named Phil and his associates bought all kinds of guns off the rack from dealers and tested them. While S&W revolvers performed well, he had photos of S&W 39s and 59s literally choking on S&W brand FMJ ammunition. Phil always poked fun at himself because he was obese, but his gun review were real. He refused to receive a gun from a dealer because he knew they would be altered. Her tested rifles and shotguns as well, also purchased retail. Not sure what ever happened to him. Been out of sight for years.

About 40 years ago, this big fat guy named Phil and his associates bought all kinds of guns off the rack from dealers and tested them. While S&W revolvers performed well, he had photos of S&W 39s and 59s literally choking on S&W brand FMJ ammunition. Phil always poked fun at himself because he was obese, but his gun review were real. He refused to receive a gun from a dealer because he knew they would be altered. Her tested rifles and shotguns as well, also purchased retail. Not sure what ever happened to him. Been out of sight for years.

I'll probably take shit for this but IMHO the SW Mod 39 is probably the biggest overrated piece of shit they ever made. What an ergonomic nightmare, the later 3rd gens were superb guns compared to that turd.

"The sights are the wrong height"

The sights. When you bought it did you say give me that one. Thanks. Out the door you go.
Or did you inspect it before you bought it?

"The sights are the wrong height"

The sights. When you bought it did you say give me that one. Thanks. Out the door you go.
Or did you inspect it before you bought it?
Really nothing to "inspect" that you would see in a gun store. Talking a front sight that is .30 high and should probably be .25 high or so. This also wasn't an old stock inventory gun, this was ordered specifically for me by the SKU number.

The OP makes some very good points and raises an issue that I have experienced myself. You "fall in love" with a particular gun and purchase one. The gun has numerous problems and quickly becomes a big disappointment. You badly want to make it work. You try a bunch of different things, you spend a lot of time, money and energy in this effort. At some point 1. either the problems will be resolved (a long shot) 2. you will learn to live with the gun's shortcomings 3. you will part ways with the gun.
After several bitter experiences with this I have learned to be thankful for what I've got. I've bought a few "dogs" but I also have some guns I really enjoy shooting. I got rid of the "dogs" and shoot the guns I like.
It's inevitable that over time people will find themselves disappointed with guns they bought they went into with high hopes more so then they will be surprised by a gun they bought they didn't expect much from. I mean, just by the nature of purchasing a gun you were interested and something about it motivated you to spend money to own it, so when it doesn't pan out it's disappointing.

Which is why it's important to praise that which you had low expectations for and the gun exceeded them. One reason I've grown so enamored with H&R revolvers has been because when I bought one of the top breaks I was buying it because I wanted a top break. Didn't expect it to be good and it turned out to be an excellent shooter. Taurus 92, everyone shits on the brand, and I love that gun, just needs to get some 124gr ammo as the 115 shoots a tad low of POA. Phoenix Arms .22, I deactivated several of the safeties and it's the most reliable .22 I've ever shot. How a $120 gun made of Zamak can run and shoot as well as something 3x the price is nuts.

Get a Glock 20. It's 10mm.
Have one, never really liked the finger grooves. Glock needs to do a gen 5 version. I'm not a fan of the M&Ps, but it fits my hand better.

Still have to dick around with the recoil spring with the glock if anyone wants to run full power 10mm loads.

I like how a line of guns made 20 years ago somehow still reflects a current companies product. That line of thinking would make people believe that Marlin's are as good today as they were 50 years ago, Colt's as good as 100 years ago, and Remington is a beacon of quality.

Times change. Taurus a few years ago was making stupid shit that got attention at SHOT shows (Curve .380, View .38) and didn't last long, but the bashers today are missing out on decent guns.

I like how a line of guns made 20 years ago somehow still reflects a current companies product. That line of thinking would make people believe that Marlin's are as good today as they were 50 years ago, Colt's as good as 100 years ago, and Remington is a beacon of quality.

Times change. Taurus a few years ago was making stupid shit that got attention at SHOT shows (Curve .380, View .38) and didn't last long, but the bashers today are missing out on decent guns.

Lol. Most of their line is still hot garbage outside of the G3, TX22 and one or two other guns they make.

Going to comment on why I don’t send guns back to the manufacturer as I wait for these parts to come in.

Just in the last 18 months:

Aero complete upper in 308 with too tight of an extractor (two o rings) and an undersized gasblock/hole

S&W victory with an out of spec ejector

Dead Foot Arms defective folding stock

FoldAR upper improperly machined that wouldn’t accept most mags

Glock 19 failing to go fully into battery

Two different RIA shotguns with FTF FTE issues which required a ton of filing and deburring

Springfield Hellcat failing to lock back on the last round.

That’s 7 trips to the post office, most likely issues not being fixed, not trusting the fixes since I won’t know what they actually did. And prevailing thought is that anything sent back is gone for 5 weeks or so. So that’s 35 weeks of guns or accessories at the manufacturer for issues I was able to fix on all of them for probably about the same amount of money as shipping and a couple hours.

The only firearm I’ve ever sent in was a Springfield XD 45. It would not feed 45 wad cutters. After almost 2 months it came back with a note that there is an inherent design issue that prevents reliably feeding wadcutter ammunition. That’s it, no polishing or anything. Just a note that basically said deal with it. So now I just fix my own stuff.

so why dont you stop buying crap?

Why didn’t you send it to S&W for service before dropping you own $$$?

^^^^this

S&W built the pistol. Let them deal with it. I’ve sent the same gun back to manufacturers 2 or 3 times. Eventually they’ll issue you a replacement if it’s not working. however I avoid all web or email requests. I only request RMA by phone with an actual human on the other end.

truly if you dump any of your own $$ trying to fix this pistol then it becomes your problem, not S&W’s any longer.

This kind of bullshit happens from time to time. There’s nothing you can do about it you might as well just call and yell at them.., It won’t get you anything but you’ll feel better

I swear there must be a bunch of guys here that need to take their cars to the dealer to refill the wiper fluid.
I’ve been telling people for years that they need blinker fluid changed..

Like a couple years ago somebody said they ran out of exhaust fluid for a diesel. I thought they were f***ing with me

It’s a real thing what happens when you run out of exhaust fluid? It’s some kind of emission bullshit but I don’t understand.

I’ve been telling people for years that they need blinker fluid changed..

Like a couple years ago somebody said they ran out of exhaust fluid for a diesel. I thought they were f***ing with me

It’s a real thing what happens when you run out of exhaust fluid? It’s some kind of emission bullshit but I don’t understand.
Newer diesels won’t run without DEF, it’s a whore if you run dry. Like worse than running out of fuel.

Lol. Most of their line is still hot garbage outside of the G3, TX22 and one or two other guns they make.
Like what? Nobody who has a brain who wants a 1911 buys Taurus, even a cheap one they buy Rock Island. The TH series? Idfk why Taurus still makes those, they look like q plastic toy more than any other polymer gun I've seen.

The revolvers lately I haven't heard much about largely because they're unobtainium now and have been for over 2 yrs.

Like what? Nobody who has a brain who wants a 1911 buys Taurus, even a cheap one they buy Rock Island. The TH series? Idfk why Taurus still makes those, they look like q plastic toy more than any other polymer gun I've seen.

The TH, G3, G3c, TX22, PT92, are ok.

The revolvers lately I haven't heard much about largely because they're unobtainium now and have been for over 2 yrs.

They're not unobtainium but they're still the same garbage they were 5 years ago no news on that front.... it's all about the skin flints for those things....

The TH, G3, G3c, TX22, PT92, are ok.

They're not unobtainium but they're still the same garbage they were 5 years ago no news on that front.... it's all about the skin flints for those things....
Lol, so basically all their semi autos are okay, but the revolvers, which I rarely ever see complaints about on other forums are the garbage?

They make a lot of different revolvers, so I can't say which are known offenders. I know the ones I've kept my eye on (Tracker .22's, 942, 692) haven't had major complaints. One video was a guy shooting his 692 (.357/9mm) and he shot one or two brands of ammo and didn't like how they shot. Can't judge (no pun intended) a gun's accuracy on two brands of ammo.

Lol, so basically all their semi autos are okay, but the revolvers, which I rarely ever see complaints about on other forums are the garbage?

Not all. The G2 is dog shit because the stupid trigger safety is poorly designed, and there are a whole host of previous Taurus semis that were absolute garbage (pt111, 24/7, etc) I think when the new CEO came along he got rid of most of them. Not sure if they still even make the 1911 but those were probably the worst 1911 you could ever buy...

Nobody complains about the revolvers because if they're not retarded they don't buy them... and the people that do buy them probably don't shoot them very much because they must be really poor.... if they can't even buy a Ruger....🤣

They make a lot of different revolvers, so I can't say which are known offenders. I know the ones I've kept my eye on (Tracker .22's, 942, 692) haven't had major complaints. One video was a guy shooting his 692 (.357/9mm) and he shot one or two brands of ammo and didn't like how they shot. Can't judge (no pun intended) a gun's accuracy on two brands of ammo.
All f***ing junk.

Pick up a Raging Bull sometime.... when you have to use two fingers to open the cylinder you'll realize what kind of smelly dog s*** you're getting into..... 🤣 like they couldn't even be bothered to design a cylinder latch that only required one button to be depressed...... 🤣

And pick up any Taurus revolver and look up how the serial number is stamped on the frame they can't even be bothered to stamp it on straight half the time.....

Not all. The G2 is dog shit because the stupid trigger safety is poorly designed, and there are a whole host of previous Taurus semis that were absolute garbage (pt111, 24/7, etc) I think when the new CEO came along he got rid of most of them. Not sure if they still even make the 1911 but those were probably the worst 1911 you could ever buy...

Nobody complains about the revolvers because if they're not retarded they don't buy them... and the people that do buy them probably don't shoot them very much because they must be really poor.... if they can't even buy a Ruger....🤣

All f***ing junk.

Pick up a Raging Bull sometime.... when you have to use two fingers to open the cylinder you'll realize what kind of smelly dog s*** you're getting into..... 🤣 like they couldn't even be bothered to design a cylinder latch that only required one button to be depressed...... 🤣

And pick up any Taurus revolver and look up how the serial number is stamped on the frame they can't even be bothered to stamp it on straight half the time.....
Yeah, cuz when I buy a gun the location and geometric orientation of the serial # is a key factor in the final decision :/

Again, I think you're equating Taurus of years past with current Taurus. I haven't seen any Taurus revolvers in shop in over 2 years, the last one I saw and handled was a .17 HMR Tracker and it was fine.

Back
Top Bottom