• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Introduces the new SHIELD EZ 30 SUPER CARRY in the new 30 SUPER CARRY Caliber

Bold move introducing a new caliber in today's ammo world.

View attachment 560642

Currently there are several manufacturers supporting the new caliber to include Speer, Federal, and Remington. For defensive ammunition, shooters have their choice of 115gr Speer Gold Dot, or Federal HST, and Remington HTP in 100gr loadings. Full metal jacket choices include Federal American Eagle and Remington UMC in 100gr loads, or Speer's Blazer Brass in 115gr loadings. Cases are straight walled from promotional images. Rumors say we should expect roughly 1,200FPS on average from 30 Super Carry.

Figures, since stuff like "30 Super Carry" would be shot primarily by Shield owners anyways

Smith Engineer: we have like 17 guns in each caliber and they all have quality issues. I think we should focus on quality

Smith Exec: I know, lets release a new gun in a new caliber.

Also smith exec: but also, lets not support a great existing cartridge like .357 sig but still simultaneously make .40s, even tho its easy to support both…. [rofl]

Did S&W have some other caliber they came up with ? Maybe in the 90’s or I could just be totally wrong
356 TSW

Did they release firearms with the caliber as well? I've never seen one. I know the round was targeted toward shooting sports. Was this caliber released with the hopes people would just re-chamber their guns?

356 TSW

Did they release firearms with the caliber as well? I've never seen one. I know the round was targeted toward shooting sports. Was this caliber released with the hopes people would just re-chamber their guns?

356 TSW

I believe they made some j frames and 5906’s they may have been all performance center models. You are correct it was geared towards IDPA and other shooting sports

What are you talking about? I’m having trouble following your comment.

What sounds like a necked down 380 case? If you’re talking about 30 super carry, no. It seems to have a straight walled case, which is why it gets a couple more rounds per mag, compared to 9mm. If you’re talking about 30 luger, it would be more like 9mm necked down and not 380 necked down. But really 9mm luger is just a necked up 30 luger.

As for comparison of bullet weights, it sounds like 100gr is the “normal” weight for this new 30 super carry, and 124gr is the normal weight for 9mm defensive bullets. 115gr for 9mm is mostly for range ammo. But I don’t know what offerings they plan to have with 30 super carry in 115.

All this necking has me like. . .

maxresdefault.jpg

The added capacity in open could be a significant advantage.

What is the bullet diameter of this 30 super carry?

The rules show
View attachment 560903
I believe the bullet diameter is 0.312" and the bullet weight (from what I've seen on the Federal website) is 100 grains. So this won't meet rules 3 and 4 for Open right?
Even if it did, where are you going to get an Open gun chambered in 30 super carry right now?[laugh] I know it's brand new so nothing chambered in it aside from a S&W Shield and a Nighthawk 1911.
I just can't see you dumping your 38 super comp open guns for an open gun in 30 super carry so you can gain an extra couple rounds?? Your 38 super comp guns already hold like 26 or 28 rounds right?
I may be missing/overlooking something[laugh]

@andrew1220
Believe me, if it meant 35 rounds fit in a 170mm mag, builders would start making 2011s in that caliber immediately. (Assuming it was within the rules and made major)

Lol then the stage designers will just bump up the round count by a c*** hair just to f*** with you guys to make you still reload at least once. [rofl]

32 rounds/stage is the max at a level 3 match. But you're absolutely right.

I'm glad the 30 super carry is too small diameter, so no need to worry about this.
It's bad enough there is a small push to lower major PF.

LOL, really?

What a bunch of fags, the PF is already stupid low, can most semis even run if you go much lower than the current PF?
Just major. Nobody wants to change minor.
Getting off topic here, but I'll go on

The idea of lowering major for open division started with a well known gun builder, who sometimes has to warranty broken guns. The builder claims his reasoning is based on safety.

I see this as another attempt as a "Goldilocks" round, much like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .357 Sig, and .40, only this time, it's between 9mm and .380. Oddly, .40 is the most derided one of those "just right" rounds and also the most commercially successful, so I won't make any predictions for "super carry." If a .380 is a mouse pistol, would this be for a gerbil pistol? Gere up, everyone!

I see this as another attempt as a "Goldilocks" round, much like 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, .357 Sig, and .40, only this time, it's between 9mm and .380. Oddly, .40 is the most derided one of those "just right" rounds and also the most commercially successful, so I won't make any predictions for "super carry." If a .380 is a mouse pistol, would this be for a gerbil pistol? Gere up, everyone!
I’d say it’s more like a 9mm mini, rather than being slotted between 9mm and 380 since it has nearly the energy of 9mm. It’s just narrower.

I think the only reason why 40 took off was because the FBI adopted it. So lots of other LEAs hopped on the bandwagon, trusting the FBI’s testing. Which filtered down to civilian buyers. Without FBI adoption it would have died (forgetting that it wouldn’t exist without the FBI).

You can literally launch a 230 gr head out of a slingshot and still make major p.f.
I spent way too much time researching if this is possible.

According to Wikipedia the world record sling shot was 135 joules. No mention of the mass of the projectile or it's speed.

Back to your 230g.... at 718fps is 165pf, and 355 joules. Way more than any slingshot

Lot of people are asking why this exists and the obvious answer right now is the .30 Super has increased capacity of 9mm without sacrificing performance and the possibility of dedicated pistols built from the ground up for .30 Super that will be slimmer than current 9mm's.

The downside is .30 Super is never going to be as cheap as 9mm and that turns off like 90% of the civilian market who aren't willing to pay more for a caliber that does the same thing 9mm does. For people in capacity restricted states the .30 Super makes absolutely no sense to own, not unless they want a pistol the size of the Ruger LC9, but is as slim as an LCP and holds 10 rds of .30 Super.

As big a propnant of .32 that I am even I'm struggling to justify the startup costs in terms of the gun, holster, and ammo will run me. I have never believed for a semi auto that holding 2 more rounds is going to make a difference, one reason I haven't given up on .40, I still think it's more capable than 9mm. If anything the reason I'm likely to move away from .40 is price of ammo and really the crux of why people are so resistant to a new handgun caliber is because it's always going to cost more.

I've said it before and I'll say again that the point of .32 (in a semi auto, in a revolver it's debatable) is not to enhance capacity, but to lower recoil. In that vain the .32 NAA is the perfect .32 because it's fits in the same pistols .380 does, yet has the velocity to get hollow points to expand and because the bullets have a higher ballistic coefficient the penetration is better. .32 NAA would be more effective than .380, yet in larger pistols have less recoil than 9mm.

This .30 Super achieves none of that and that's why I really don't care about it. If it succeeds, great, if it doesn't, whatever. For those who are obssessed with capacity literally at all cost, then the .30 Super is for them.

I’d say it’s more like a 9mm mini, rather than being slotted between 9mm and 380 since it has nearly the energy of 9mm. It’s just narrower.

I think the only reason why 40 took off was because the FBI adopted it. So lots of other LEAs hopped on the bandwagon, trusting the FBI’s testing. Which filtered down to civilian buyers. Without FBI adoption it would have died (forgetting that it wouldn’t exist without the FBI).
The .40 was a good middle ground between 9 and 45 and at the time hollow points worked in .40 while they struggled in 9mm. It didn't hurt that 10mm and .40 were both designed specifically around using hollow points.

Today the .40 is as capable as it ever was, but ammo will never be as cheap as 9mm is and because it recoils more it turns off many who are obsessed with shooting as fast and accurately as possible.

Also to everyone who is musing that .30 Sup would be decent in an LCP sized pistol... how you gonna fit a cartridge that's as long as 9mm in magazine meant for .380?

The .30 Super is not meant to compete with or replace .380 pocket pistols, it's basically "New look, same great taste!" 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom