• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W Introduces the new SHIELD EZ 30 SUPER CARRY in the new 30 SUPER CARRY Caliber

From what I read, the back strap lever is to make the slide easier to cycle. Technically, I don't think they refer to it as safety, but I might be wrong. Neither the easy rack nor caliber have any interest to me, so I'm not going to do any actual research.

It will be interesting to see what else they announce in the coming weeks. There is speculation that the SHOT show is going to be cancelled, so they may be announcing these new product early to create buzz.
Does that f***ing hunk of shit have both a backstrap safety and a thumb safety and is in some new caliber?

From what I read, the back strap lever is to make the slide easier to cycle. Technically, I don't think they refer to it as safety, but I might be wrong. Neither the easy rack nor caliber have any interest to me, so I'm not going to do any actual research.

It will be interesting to see what else they announce in the coming weeks. There is speculation that the SHOT show is going to be cancelled, so they may be announcing these new product early to create buzz.
Are they making this thing without the strap and safety?

Presumably they are going to put the new bullet in normal guns? Or is SW going to be SW?

There's another post in this thread showing some sort of Shield or M&P as well as a Nighthawk Custom 1911 in this caliber.

I predict this will be a popular as the .327 Magnum.

Presumably they are going to put the new bullet in normal guns? Or is SW going to be SW?

I believe it’s the same gun as the other EZ guns, meaning it’s just a safety.

I was going by my recollection of what I read when the 380EZ came out. The only other thing I remember is that there were issues with the first production runs, but I forget what they were.

I believe it’s the same gun as the other EZ guns, meaning it’s just a safety.

I was going by my recollection of what I read when the 380EZ came out. The only other thing I remember is that there were issues with the first production runs, but I forget what they were.
You may not be able to rack the slide unless the grip safety is depressed?? My wife has one upstairs in 380, but I haven’t touched it in a while....it’s not a bad shooter for what it is.

Edit: just checked, it doesn’t lock the slide.

Last edited:

They'll probably a couple skus with no mag safety and no manual safety, but the strap safety is integral to the gun so that ones not going anywhere.

You may not be able to rack the slide unless the grip safety is depressed?? My wife has one upstairs in 380, but I haven’t touched it in a while....it’s not a bad shooter for what it is.

Edit: just checked, it doesn’t lock the slide.
It doesn't on the 380ez and 9ez, so that would be consistent at least.

this 30 super carry actually makes a lot of sense. the 30 to 32 cal is a perfect size for carry. Such a cartridge can achieve good velocity, more capacity in a given magazine size and with modern projectiles can still expand pretty well. If the ammo is made available and cheap enough, they might have a winner here, although any new chambering is statistically unlikely to succeed no matter how “brilliant” it is.

the 327 federal (and ability to run all the other rimmed 32 cal rimmed cartridges) is a good example of an excellent idea that can’t achieve a critical mass of following. It makes a ton of sense in a revolver but that comparatively small market just doesn’t need another revolver chambering. However For small autoloaders/CCW pistols the volume of sales is so much higher I suspect they can accommodate a new .30 cal option.

glock should have designed their own .30 or .32 cal cartridge by now. They could have owned that market but missed what I believe was a good opportunity that S&W will take instead.

Last edited:
this 30 super carry actually makes a lot of sense. the 30 to 32 cal is a perfect size for carry. Such a cartridge can achieve good velocity, more capacity in a given magazine size and with modern projectiles can still expand pretty well. If the ammo is made available and cheap enough, they might have a winner here, although any new chambering is statistically unlikely to succeed no matter how “brilliant” it is.

the 327 federal (and ability to run all the other rimmed 32 cal rimmed cartridges) is a good example of an excellent idea that can’t achieve a critical mass of following. It makes a ton of sense in a revolver but the market just doesn’t need another revolver chambering. However For small autoloaders/CCW pistols the volume of sales is so much higher I suspect they can accommodate a new .30 cal option.
I'm so confused. Wasn't the 327 a small block and the 427 a big block?

How is 380 getting more expansion than 9mm here? Because of less penetration?

Pretty much. Expansion and penetration are the tradespace, and energy gives you more to play with in the trade space. If you want more penetration with 380, you can get it, but the expansion will be less. With pistols, achieving minimum desirable penetration is more important than expansion, so that 380 performance sucks despite good expansion. Which is why FMJ is still used defensively for 380.

Last edited:
So this is essentially a redesigned 9mm that isn't 9mm clone to squeeze more 2+ rounds in compact guns that somehow is going to work in current shitshow of a supply chain. Does that really sound like a financially viable round to people?
And ammo will be unavailable!

If I was a shareholder of S&W I'd be asking W-T-F are you people thinking during the next shareholders meeting between that awful ugly shotgun, this oddball idea of introducing yet another caliber, and the CSX pistol.

the 327 federal (and ability to run all the other rimmed 32 cal rimmed cartridges) is a good example of an excellent idea that can’t achieve a critical mass of following. It makes a ton of sense in a revolver but that comparatively small market just doesn’t need another revolver chambering. However For small autoloaders/CCW pistols the volume of sales is so much higher I suspect they can accommodate a new .30 cal option.

glock should have designed their own .30 or .32 cal cartridge by now. They could have owned that market but missed what I believe was a good opportunity that S&W will take instead.
Except that Glock doesn't give a shit. They will still sell tons of guns even if they don't make one that takes this cartridge. Honestly the market spaces are different. If it goes anywhere Glock will make a couple 43/43x knockoffs that takes it. I think they are loathe to pick up another 45 GAP though.... which basically this is only a few steps less dumb as. Not to mention they won't be selling it outside the US. (Most of the rest of the world can't carry guns, and foreign LE agencies are not going to suck for this cartridge. ) Might sell in Italy though where civilians can't own common cartridges like 9mm.... so who knows.

Smaller than the 32? Why wouldn’t they just use .32? Sorry for my ignorance but what am I missing here?
32 handguns cartridges are .312 or so diameter. 32 S&W short and long. H&R mag. 327. All the same diameter as the new 30 super carry.

Just like how a 44 is really a 43 caliber and 38 is a 35 caliber.

Back
Top Bottom