S&W Grip screw insert- how is it in the frame??

I have a fairly new 1911 S&W, one of the grip screws seems to feel a little funny when tightening- almost like it doesn't get tight enough. However, the grip screw itself is NOT stripped at all. How is the slotted insert in the frame? Is this threaded into the frame or somehow staked in? It has a slot but I don't dare try tightening if is realy just staked.... and if is is threaded... does CW tighten it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like an auto from the description.

If so... the grip screw bushing isn't staked properly.

Brownells sells a tool to fix it, but it's not worth the cost for one bushing.

Take it to a gunsmith, or WECSOG it with some JB Weld.

(WTF is CW?)

Sounds like an auto from the description.

If so... the grip screw bushing isn't staked properly.

Brownells sells a tool to fix it, but it's not worth the cost for one bushing.

Take it to a gunsmith, or WECSOG it with some JB Weld.

(WTF is CW?)

CW= clockwise. "If" I tried tightening it... I was concerned which way it was threaded.

I thought the bushing on newer 1911s are threaded.

The bushings on mine are threaded into the frame with standard right-hand threads. Many times they back out with the grip scews and were definitely not staked at all.

CW= clockwise. "If" I tried tightening it... I was concerned which way it was threaded.

I thought the bushing on newer 1911s are threaded.

They are threaded (RH/CW), but are still staked.
(mdh beat me to it).

Loose grip screw bushings are all too common on commercial 1911s.
Loctite will fix the problem quite effectively.
If the bushings were (ineffectively) staked prior to coming loose, take a fine flat file and make sure that nothing is projecting into the mag well.
It also doesn't hurt to put a tiny bit if anti-seize compound on the grip screws.
If you don't have access to anti-seize, the old stickey case sizing lube is almost as good.

Back
Top Bottom