S&W Governor moon clip problem?

first time shooting 45 acp moon clips out of the governor : used cast bullets and old, fired about 8 times brass, reloads. went good for awhile then trigger locked up, cylinder would open and close tightly, maybe not completely and gun would not fire, trigger seized up. after a little fiddling gun worked fine. maybe fouling from reloads or what; any ideas how this happened? gun has built in trigger lock

Did the cylinder close without any resistence when first loaded? What brand moon clips are you using Ranch,Wilson,Rimz. Don't have a Govenor but do shoot a 625 never had that problem,the only things I can think of is powder residue under the extractor,carbon buildup on the face of the cylinder/forcing cone. As far as the trigger not moving hit bit of debris got in the works and worked it's way out. One other thing are the moon clips 1/3,1/2 or full moon clips the first 2 may be the cause of the cylinder binding.

Maybe do a quick check to make sure the ejection rod has not loosened up and backed off a bit.
The problem may have nothing to do with the reloads or powder build up but might just be something came loose.

Did the cylinder close without any resistence when first loaded? What brand moon clips are you using Ranch,Wilson,Rimz. Don't have a Govenor but do shoot a 625 never had that problem,the only things I can think of is powder residue under the extractor,carbon buildup on the face of the cylinder/forcing cone. As far as the trigger not moving hit bit of debris got in the works and worked it's way out. One other thing are the moon clips 1/3,1/2 or full moon clips the first 2 may be the cause of the cylinder binding.
full moon clips that came with the gun; dirty smokey reloads: 6.5 gr unique with 230 hard lead cast. looks lie that might be it

When you go to reload try a different powder if you have any on hand. I use 231/HP38 but they have been discontinued the closest to the above is AA No 2 and No 5 both are ball powders and supposed to be very clean burning.

I've had this happen once to my Redhawk when shooting with moon clip. It's nothing with the gun, just a quirk when shooting with moon clips that few seem to bother talking about.

What I would do is try to mark each moon clip you have (maybe use a center punch and bang some dots?) so if the issue seems common with a specific clip, you know there's something wrong with that clip and not to use it.

Back
Top Bottom