S&W Customer Service

My wife bought a S&W M&P 9mm compact in March. The store she bought it at told her to call Smith and Wesson and they would send her a finger rest for the spare magazine. The guy at customer service was very rude and condescending to her. They guy asked her "Do you mean the thing your little pinky goes on". Well he sent the wrong one, she got the 12 round finger rest. When she called back they said it was her fault for not specifying it was a ten round magazine. I'm pretty sure she did say it was for a 10 round mag, but they shipped it to a Mass. address, so that should have been a clue to them. Today she opened her mail and found the 2 magazines from the load up promotion. They are 2 full size M&P 17 round magazines. Has anyone else had problems with Smith and Wesson customer service?

I don't ever remember having S&W being rude, but I did have a repair problem which they finally fixed, for the most part. [grin]

Over all I'm pretty happy with S&W's service.

Respectfully,
jkelly

not entirely sure...but if i were you I'd change your post to be a hypothetical question as new M&P 17 round mags are illegal to possess in MA

I'm no great fan of S&W, but I have always thought that their customer service was one of their bigger selling points. I'm a little surprised by this.

P.S. Ain't it grand to have laws on the books that make you a criminal for a shipping error.

But to answer you question, the one experience I had with S&W customer service was great. They were running a range bag rebate back in 2006 when I first got my 9mm, then 3 days after I picked it up they started the 2 mag rebate. I called in and asked if I could change my range bag to the mags, they said no we'll just send you 2 mags too.

I just got off the phone with them. The guy said don't load them, just keep them in the package and I should get a return shipping label tomorrow. Bring them to UPS and send them back. Is this legal? Can I get in trouble for transporting these things and shipping them? This state sucks.

I was treated with utter disregard at the store in Springfield when I picked up a lower. Others have said they were treated like visiting heads of state. I guess it all depends on if that particular S&W employee is going to play nice at that moment. I will not be back there unless they are handing out free lowers.

I have been fortunate enough to not need service for any of my S&W guns so I cannot comment on their phone support.

I just got off the phone with them. The guy said don't load them, just keep them in the package and I should get a return shipping label tomorrow. Bring them to UPS and send them back. Is this legal? Can I get in trouble for transporting these things and shipping them? This state sucks.

What else would you do? Throw them away? Just send them back when you get the label, that's what I'd do.

S&W sending the wrong mags with the free rebate is a very common problem. When I purchased my 45, they sent me 40 mags. They did eventually send me the correct ones. I have also heard this happening to many others on another forum.

I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM With getting a pinky extender or my M&P 9mm C! I e-mailed them, didnt call, I got a one line email back "we dont have those" so I wrote back and then I get another one liner back - "they dont make those in pink" (I guess he read pinky as PINK), I then replied, no I'd like a black one please, and the next day I had the pinky extender for the full size in my mailbox....sigh. Wrote back that day had the right one the following day, but it was one miscommunication after another.

EDIT: Oh, and I havent seen my 2 free mags yet..... rebate? whattt rebate? bastards...

sigh.... Love the gun though...(After the trigger job) Hmm....starting to feel like S&Ws out to get us.

I had the SAME EXACT PROBLEM With getting a pinky extender or my M&P 9mm C!

EDIT: Oh, and I havent seen my 2 free mags yet..... rebate? whattt rebate? bastards...

Yup, I got the 12-rd extender for my 9c too. One of these days I'll call them back to get the right one.

The free mags take 2-3 months to get, assuming their supplier can keep up with the demand.

Don't hold your breath. You will probably get the wrong ones.

I actually got the 10-rd 9 (FS) mags that I requested. It just took almost 3 months to get them.

It turns out that the 10-rd FS 9 and 9c mags are identical . . . only difference is the plastic baseplate (don't know about the spring, never took any apart, but would guess them to be identical too).

Still waiting on the mags for my Compact 9 I purchased in November. I called S&W a few times now and always get the same ole reply...They are backed up but will arrive.

I've had great service from them. I've had guns worked on and returned quickly. They have sent me free parts like springs, screws, plunger tube, barrel bushings. Any time I lose some thing or need some thing I call them and they send it free.

I had great service when I bought my MP40C. I received the 2 promo mags in about 8 weeks. When I called for the finger rest extensions the guy was real nice and sent me 3 of them which I received in two days.

you guys want some cheese with that WHINE? id hate to hear what you have to say about a company that really does suck. S&W has got to be one of the BEST companys ive ever dealt with,being a business owner i deal with many. any problems,repairs,parts,info,thay ive ever needed get shipped(no charge) overnight,every time,even had a pistol i sent them in pieces,had it back 100%@no charge in 4 days,overnight postage paid by them,no questions asked.why do you keyboard commandos want to trash talk a company that makes great firearms anyhow? everybody makes mistakes every now and then, nobodys perfect![grin]

Last edited:

If you leave them in the original package and ship them back as soon as the RMA gets to you, you should be OK.

Remember the four elements of culpability. Knowingly, or Negligently, or Purposefully, or Willingly committing and act. You did none of those. It was a shipping mistake by S&W, which you immediately pointed out to them.

As Jdubois says, IANAL.

Have had several guns worked on by them and it has always been free.... They do a great job and a pleasure to work with.....

not entirely sure...but if i were you I'd change your post to be a hypothetical question as new M&P 17 round mags are illegal to possess in MA

As far as I know, such magazines are not illegal to possess in MA (Provided you have a large-capacity license). They are simply illegal to purchase or sell in MA. At least that's what I've gleaned from reading the MA statutes and listening to the salespeople at the S & W Store in Springfield.

Last edited:
As far as I know, such magazines are not illegal to possess in MA (Provided you have a large-capacity license). They are simply illegal to purchase or sell in MA. At least that's what I've gleaned from reading the MA statutes and listening to the salespeople at the S & W Store in Springfield.

Wrong. Even "mere possession" by non LEOs in MA of a post-ban LCAFD is a
felony.

This particular issue has been [horse] 'd in the legal section here a couple hundred times. [grin]

-Mike

You probably want to read THIS before you end up in jail or give out more incorrect legal information. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom