S&W Bodyguard biggest POS of all time

So this is a warning to all. Iv had 2 S&W bodyguards. Both were worthless. The fist one I purchased as soon as they came out. Trigger was horrendous, and the laser crapped out on me. I wrote that off as a fluke as the gun was a new design. 3-4 years later I purchased another one. First time out gun jammed, and I noticed a chunk of metal missing near the loaded chamber port. Apparently these are MIM barrels now and they don't hold up well. You could tell by the color and texture of the metal it was not your typical steel. Also, the trigger on this one was just as bad. For those of you looking at these as a potential option, I would strongly suggest looking elsewhere. The gun is truly a heaping pile of junk. I purchased a LCP gen 2, and it is 3x the gun the bodyguard is.

Some versions of the gun have some kind of shitty mim barrel. I've always said the gun was junk but people don't like hearing that. [rofl] Long shitty trigger pull, low durability, QC problems... whats not to
love..... the Ruger LCP even makes this gun look like trash.. But then the braying crew goes "bweah thats not mass complyant" sure as hell didn't stop me from getting an LCP for a paltry $270 (all inclusive) back in the
day.

-Mike

Sorry to hear that. I had never given one a thought until a few months ago. Shot a friends at the range and was somewhat intrigued. Bought one used on the cheap. Have over 500 flawless rounds through it. I find it to be a very handy carry gun. I hope Smith makes it right for you.

Its not about customer service, its about the build quality of the gun. If you have 500 flawless rounds through it consider yourself lucky. When a chuck of barrel comes off, and you can plainly see its "white metal" you don't really care about customer service.

Mine's been flawless. About ten boxes of ammo and countless hours of dry firing have made the trigger unhorrible.
I bought the non-laser version. I'm trying to think of a more useless thing than a laser on a pocket pistol but nothing comes to mind.

Its not about customer service, its about the build quality of the gun. If you have 500 flawless rounds through it consider yourself lucky. When a chuck of barrel comes off, and you can plainly see its "white metal" you don't really care about customer service.

I will have no doubt they will fix the gun for you, of course the problem is you still end up with a BG380 at the end.

-Mike

They’re so cheap new, then people realize there are better options out there for the same money or a little more. I’m never surprised when I look at the classifieds here, the Four Seasons used handgun list, etc.

Sorry you had a bad experience.

What do you want for $250
I only held the BG for about 10 sec and just felt like a pos.
next time maybe buy 2 or 3 rough rider pistols.
Honestly though today even the cheap pos guns are better than the small "Saturday Night Specials" of years past.
Send them both back to SW

S&W will fix it, call them.

This gun was designed for deep concealment, it was never meant to be a range toy or target gun.

It is cheap, though it is suprisingly very accurate, you are wasting your time with a laser sight. Learn to point shoot it, I don't really use the "sights" on this gun.

The trigger can be improved by me :D

Mine has been flawless for 500-750 rounds. I have the non laser version as a laser on a pocket pistol seems useless. I don’t mind the long/heavy trigger pull, as mine is for deep concealment/pocket carry. I shoot it fine and don’t mind the trigger now that some practice has taught me how to properly stage the trigger. Sorry you’ve been having all these issues with yours. Despite your ridiculous take that customer service doesn’t matter, you should allow Smith the opportunity to get you a functioning gun.

I just looked more closely at the title of this thread, "S&W Bodyguard biggest POS of all time." I feel like anyone who thinks that has not looked at real pot-metal zinc-alloy junk. I have mixed feelings about the Bodyguard, but on the all time crap list, it does not even come close to the top ten.

"Biggest POS of all time" means it's in good company with the S&W Shield then, in my opinion.

Spoiler alert: cheap guns are cheaply made.

In it's class though it's pretty bad, there are plenty of things built better for not much. IMO S&W invented this gun for MA sales, it probably doesn't sell well at all outside of MA. Basically in terms of the compliance BS it was the only compliant pocket gun sold new in MA.... actually for 380s might still be the case. If it wasn't for that, and insufferable sw fanbois, nobody would intentionally buy it if they had other options.

Although I agree with the trigger being a long horrendous pull and the laser being unusable in fluorescent light, I have put ~900-1000 rounds through the BG380 and I've only had a failure to extract once or twice and the slide not lock back only once or twice. The gun has run considerably well during the torture test (400 rounds only three magazines) and with night sights I shoot the lights out up from 10-20 yards...the ideal range for an EDC.

Being a mouse gun, it is a pain in the ass that you can't put your pinky on the grip which makes firing the BG380 one-handed a challenge, you end up slapping the trigger, but the more practice I've had the more confident in the Bodyguard I've become.

In hindsight I would have grabbed a Sig P320C but the Bodyguard was my first firearm purchase so as my buddy would say: "I can't complain, or I could, but nobody would listen."

I have one, for the money I think it's ok. Never had any problems with it, but it's obviously a cheaply made gun. I don't pretend that it's anything more than it is, a carry gun when anything of substance can't be concealed. I've only put a couple hundred rounds through it at the range, it's certainly not on my fun to shoot list. Someday may replace it with something better.

For deep concealment it ought to be more than reliable. That’s the most important characteristic of a concealed carry, no? There are many smallies out there so I carry my Kahr CM9. It’s got no frills but I have not had one problem in over 1k rounds of various brands. Hst with one in the pipe and I trust my life with it.

I realize what its meant for. To me it seems like S&W made a gun that was barley serviceable to begin with, then squeezed the life out of it to maximize profits by switching to a shitty MIM barrel. So people have had ok luck with reliability, but a lot haven't. Sorry for the rant, but its just such a POS. What's worse is most gun stores have 5 on the shelf at any given time, and tend to push the shit out of them, and claim they haven't had any one return one.

I realize what its meant for. To me it seems like S&W made a gun that was barley serviceable to begin with, then squeezed the life out of it to maximize profits by switching to a shitty MIM barrel. So people have had ok luck with reliability, but a lot haven't. Sorry for the rant, but its just such a POS. What's worse is most gun stores have 5 on the shelf at any given time, and tend to push the shit out of them, and claim they haven't had any one return one.

That's the running joke in the whole industry. Every manufacturer can claim their shit is reliable because half the "bought gunz cuz dey said they were going to ban them" obamascare etc. buyers will often buy shit and never even fire the thing once. There are probably millions of post-2013 guns in this country that are sitting in some guys closet or gun cabinet that have never been fired. /boggle. The industry figured this out and profited from
it heavily.

-Mike

what caliber did you have trouble with? their 38 special BG revolver is amazingly awesome

I have over 1500 rounds through my M&P Bodyguard 380. zero issues. very accurate. I shoot alot of double action only pistols and rifles with heavy triggers, so I dont mind the trigger. conceals better than any gun I've ever owned. weighs only 12 oz. Mine is hardly a POS

I can't seem to go more than a mag with my second hand gen 1 without some type of failure. And if it was just one consistent failure, I'd probably investigate a fix, but it is several random failures. Just about everything you can think of outside of squibs. Oddly though, my laser still works, which is definitely a pre-recall version. The poor reliability and the horrible trigger has made mine a safe queen. So essentially I have a really heavy laser pointer now, as I don't trust this gun for EDC and I don't even want to sell it and pawn these issues off to anyone else. I have no idea why this model is so popular.

Anyway, subcompact 9's are small enough. While the BG380 was truly a pocket gun, I'm fine with running a Shield or a P365 as EDC, even in the summer.

I have over 1500 rounds through my M&P Bodyguard 380. zero issues. very accurate. I shoot alot of double action only pistols and rifles with heavy triggers, so I dont mind the trigger. conceals better than any gun I've ever owned. weighs only 12 oz. Mine is hardly a POS

You're one of the lucky ones :)

Back
Top Bottom