S&W BodyGuard 380 first trip to the range.

I picked it up my BG380 about a week ago from Nicks Sports Shop in Palmer, MA. I finally got a chance to put some rounds through it. Actually, 200 rounds through it. All I can say is WOW. For a handgun that weighs this little it has little recoil and very little flip to it. My Sig P232 has more.

I had 2 types of ammo. 100rnds of WWB .380 and 100 rnds of Aguila 90 grn .380 jacketed hollow points. Not a single hickup. Every shot fired and cycled fine. The slide locked back on the last round and it placed all the brass in a nice neat little pile.

The laser is a novelty. Although I can turn it on with my trigger finger, if I am drawing it to use it, I am not going to waste the time to turn it on. But the laser is dead on. If S&W offered one without the laser, in turn reducing the weight even more, I'd pick another one up.

It is not a perfect gun. There are two issues I have with it. One is the 10 mile trigger. It truely breaks a fraction of an inch from touching the grip and it's a heavy pull. The second is, the magazine release has to be pressed to get the magazine to slide in.

Because of the 10 mile trigger I don't see a big need for the slide safety. I guess if you were just going to toss it in a pocket without a holster it would be a good idea to engage it, but holstered? Ehh... one less step to bring it into action.

Accuracy? I can say the sights and laser are right on. But because of the trigger pull, one handed, I was able to keep the shots in about 3" at 15'. It's not a bullseye gun, but a bad guy 10' away is going to be hurting.

I think S&W has worked the bugs out of it. The first productions ones had all sorts of issues. The laser breaking, the take down lever fly away, the trigger not resetting. But mine being a much later production model (Serial # EAP****) is working flawlessly.

If you are looking for a light weight CCW, I'd recommend taking a look at it.

glad to hear it works well.

that was the smaller ccw gun i was going to take a look at and i was debating on that being my ultra ccw gun vs my glock 26. the 10 mile trigger pull is interesting, which is good , i probably wouldn't run the safety on it for me. just throw in pocket.

the sights are all black correct? if i got it i wonder if painting the front sight would help. or if they make aftermarket sights for it .i can see this gun working well with a remora holster

Two notes.....

On mine, I do not have to press the mag release to fully seat a loaded or unloaded magazine. Perhaps that should be looked at.

On sights, I believe there is a XS dot night sight available already for these.

drb

Nice report Kaos.

I looked at them when Dick first got them into the shop. I really considered picking one up. Now, I might want to look again at the 380 when I make my weekly stop at Nick's Sport Shop.

I've probably asked before, but do you go up to SSC?

I like it because the yearly dues are cheap & usually there's not much activity on the ranges. The pistol range is probably the most active. The 100/200/300 yard rifle range is most always empty. Skeet fields aren't too crowded. Most range trips, I'm usually by myself on the firing line.

If you want to check it out, let me know.

I also have a BG380 and I do not have to pres the mag release to load a mag. it was tough to get mine in the first time but I just slapped it in with the heel of my off hand and it got easier as i dropped it in and out several times. I bought extra mags for $22 and the replacement mags were much smoother no catching.

Back
Top Bottom