• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S & W 642 finish

Rugerfan

NES Member
The finish on my 642 is starting to flake/blister. It does not affect performance. Anybody else pocket carry one of these for a few years and have this happen?

Curious minds want to know.

I've head a couple of the years and the finish on these are very delicate. I was toying with the idea of having mine cerakoted at one point. I never pocket carried mine, but it's not uncommon for what your seeing with yours. I used to coat mine with Renaissance Wax based on what guys over at the S&W forum told me to do.

The frame is aluminum, it would oxidize heavily if they didn't coat it with something. That is the coating flaking off and yes it happens alot with wear or prolonged exposure to hoppes, solvents, etc.

Those spots will oxidize white over time, I'd plan on doing a cerekote or something like that to it after you remove the original coating.

I have the Apex kit in it. I'm weighing my options as far as refinishing it.

The LCR would seem to be more immune to the moist/corrosive conditions of pocket carry. Besides, I have always wanted to have one.

Back
Top Bottom