S&W 640 pro series

I want to get back into a small framed pocket carry sized revolver. I would like something that is .357. Not so much looking to shoot .357 out of it but I want to maintain compatability with my side arms ( Im trying to consolidate down to 2 calibers 9mm and 38/357 )

I also would like a revolver with real sights, as my previous J frame was just a blade which I never liked. I want night sight in the front. I would prefer 2 1/2 in barrel. An I would prefer steel over anything else. Yes, I know I have just described what most would call and odd ball gun , but I have shot enough to know what I want.

The S&W 640 pro series seems to fit the bill ( other than being expensive ) I LOVE the look of the sights ( there should be more small revolvers with real sights ) Love the extra barrel length. Its steel...

My questions are 1. anyone actually seen or own one? 2. Ive never handled a revolver that takes moon clips, are moon clips required for the gun to operate??? 3. how about a trigger job on an j frame? New they are insanely heavy, are there reliable trigger jobs?

I had a 640 (not pro) and I loved it. Sold to fund something else. The barrel is 2 1/8", not 2 1/2". Trigger pull is very heavy, but can be improved by a set of Wolff springs, and a little polishing. I believe Apex makes a kit as well. They don't take moon clips. I don't know where you got that.

I had a 640 (not pro) and I loved it. Sold to fund something else. The barrel is 2 1/8", not 2 1/2". Trigger pull is very heavy, but can be improved by a set of Wolff springs, and a little polishing. I believe Apex makes a kit as well. They don't take moon clips. I don't know where you got that.

The 640 pro series takes moon clips...

Oddly enough, the 640 Pro IS cut for moon clips. From what I've read, use of the moon clips is optional.

I agree that a trigger job will be required. Yes, a reliable trigger job can be done. But I've never had a J-frame trigger job that felt as good as a K-frame trigger job.

Personally, I think the 640 is way too heavy for me to be a pocket gun. And if I was going to carry it in a belt holster, I could carry a much bigger and better gun. In other words, this gun is the answer to a question that I've never asked. YMMV.

Last edited:
My questions are 1. anyone actually seen or own one? 2. Ive never handled a revolver that takes moon clips, are moon clips required for the gun to operate??? 3. how about a trigger job on an j frame? New they are insanely heavy, are there reliable trigger jobs?

With regard to the moon clips, my understanding is the cyclinder has a relief machined to accept them, but they are not required when using "rimmed" cartridges. That does look like a nice piece!

Oddly enough, the 640 Pro IS cut for moon clips. From what I've read, use of the moon clips is optional.

I agree that a trigger job will be required. Yes, a reliable trigger job can be done. But I've never had a J-frame trigger job that felt as good as a K-frame trigger job.

Personally, I think the 640 is way too heavy for me to be a pocket gun. And if I was going to carry it in a belt holster, I could carry a much bigger and better gun. In other words, this gun is the answer to a question that I've never asked. YMMV.

I know, it really is an odd gun. Perhaps I should should really think about the weight more

Another issue to think about is the grips. With that boot grip it is possible to shoot 357 mags (though painful), but you won't be able to fit it into most pants pockets. Without those bootgrips, you could fit it in a pocket, but 357 mags would be stupidly painful.

If you want a pocket gun, get a Kahr PM9. It is small enough and light enough for pocket carry. It has real sights and recoil is tolerable.

Another issue to think about is the grips. With that boot grip it is possible to shoot 357 mags (though painful), but you won't be able to fit it into most pants pockets. Without those bootgrips, you could fit it in a pocket, but 357 mags would be stupidly painful.

If you want a pocket gun, get a Kahr PM9. It is small enough and light enough for pocket carry. It has real sights and recoil is tolerable.

+1 on the PM9, goin to shoot mine today.
Good luck with your search, and enjoy it.

Driving down to the cape to pick up a new PM9 very very soon!!!! I currently have a bg380 and it couldnt be better as a pocket gun. Im hoping the pm9 will replace it so I can get out of .380

My opinion, FWIW, the PM9 is still kinda big for pocket carry, depending on how you dress. I'm in construction, and usually wear jeans. Front pocket is not an option with jeans for me. However I can carry it in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster in the back pocket no problem. If you wear cargo pants or pants with a "slash cut" front pocket, that may work for you. I personally feel the frame size difference between the PM9 and the BG380 is a good trade off for the 9mm round.
I have found a real nice back pocket hoster made by "stoner holsters" that prints like a wallet, with a flat leather backing.

Good luck with the PM9, it is a quality handgun IMHO. Are you getting a non ma version?

Thanks for the weight comment. when I realized it was like have my full size M&P 9 in my pocket I changed my mind. after reading a bit I also realize I have no need to have 357 out of a barrel that small, .38's are fine. And after thinking about it i realize that I enjoy guns that are easy to carry multiple ways. I found a S&W 342 airlite at four seasons that Im going to go take a look at on Sat, I think i just might trade my BG380 in on it

drb

Back
Top Bottom