• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 637 Opinions

Hello, being a new shooter, I thought that I would ask for some pointers. A firearms instructor recommend to me the S&W 637 as a carry gun. However, another shooter friend was telling me that the newer S&W guns are not what they used to be quality wise. He mentioned something about a safety lock on the hammer. He basically said a new 637 would be a waste of money, and I would be better off with an older Model 36 or something similar. Any insight?

Here is my 2 cents

As for quality I believe they are top notch. There is an internal lock on the newer models I own several and I have never, nor have any of my friends, had any issues with this lock. I'm sure there are some stories out there about the lock engaging by itself etc.... but unless you put in the special key and turn it I don't see it engaging itself (most stories are I believe are urban legends spread by those how feel S&W sold out. If quality is your only concern I feel the new line of hybrid metals are just as good if not better. Sure I love the feel and weight of my 1986 era 686, but I can't wait until I get my new 327PD. My best conceal carry gun is my 340 s/c a 12 oz .357 magnum........ It certainly isn't a dream at the range but that's not its intended use, that's what the 686 is for and soon the 327.

So Quality: 10 Internal Lock: a non-issue

Buy one, heck, buy 2. A great range gun and a great cc gun

Hello, being a new shooter, I thought that I would ask for some pointers. A firearms instructor recommend to me the S&W 637 as a carry gun. However, another shooter friend was telling me that the newer S&W guns are not what they used to be quality wise. He mentioned something about a safety lock on the hammer. He basically said a new 637 would be a waste of money, and I would be better off with an older Model 36 or something similar. Any insight?

Keep your eyes open for a used S&W M37 pre lock. Same as the M637 except no lock and has a satin blue finish. I've been shooting for years and as far as I'm concerned the older S&W revolvers are built better. I use a Crimson Trace Laser grip with mine. Good luck and be safe

I have a 637. When I showed I showed it to a family member he broke his 10 year hiatus of buying guns to buy the same one. He compared it to his buddy's all steel frame snub nose and the weight difference is night and day. The grey will get stained from discharging rounds so I think the 3XXs are a better series because they're black and you won't notice the staining as much. I've been carrying my 637 for 6 months now and it's a hell of a lot easier to conceal than my Sig 239. Carry a speedloader, maintain it well, and just like every other well maintained gun that's loaded, it will go bang every time you pull the trigger. Good luck on your decision.

I have a 642 that the lock has engaged on while shooting. It completely disables the gun. There are little springs and metal tabs in the lock system, they can move during recoil. My 642 and 627 V-comp now have oiling holes in them

Smith & Wesson Airweight revolvers (of which the 637 is one) are great carrying pieces. However, they are NOT novice's pistols. Their light weight coupled with their short barrels (short sight radius) and the powerful ammo they can fire makes them difficult to shoot well. Prolonged practice with an Airweight and full power defensive ammo or equally powerful reloads is tiresome.

For a first time shooter I strongly recommend at a minimum an all-steel S&W compact revolver like the Model 36, Model 40, or Model 60, or ideally an all-steel mid size like the Models 10, 13, 64, or 65.

lock

go on the internet and you will find complete instructions on how to remove
the internal lock. Jose made a great point, i have and carry a model 60,
its shoots great and straight. Its a abit heavier that the airweights but
the weight makes up for the recoil. The grip IMHO is larger and easir
to hold onto.

As far as quality, i have several new and newer S&W's and have had to
issues.

JimB

Right now Four Seasons has 2, Model 60's on their web site. Take a look at them compared to a new one. You will be able to see why their a better way to go.

I carry a S&W 642 airweight with no internal lock. I like the shrouded hammer it will not get caught on clothing when drawing from concealed carry. This gun is not a gun I take to the range to have fun with I just pratice with it for personal defense . Any snubby is not a good gun to learn basic shooting fundamentals on.

S&W 637

The 637 is a great gun. It is so light you won't know you have it on. This is the key, you will always wear it, and have it on you. Once you get used to it, you will be shooting good close (20 feet or shorter) range groups. I would advise you get a trigger job, and put a pair of Pachmayr Compact grips (they have a pinky finger cut out on them) on it. I have tried quite a few grips for the snubbies and these are the best. The trigger job allows the smooth double action you need to stay on target.The grips tame the recoil and do not give up that much in concealment. With this combo you can shoot 158 grain all day. I have one and have been using it for about 3 years. Shoot a lot of + P ammo through it without any problems. It is great to carry even with a t-shirt on. I put a Big Dot front night sight on mine and and its great for night work. The Big Dot takes some adjustment alignment to function on target.
I think a lot of folks have been beaten up with the airweight snubbies. With some modifications they can become more user friendly to shoot and practice with, if not its just too much work and can become a painfull experience.

You could also go with a S&W stainless model 60 (.38 special only) with the Pachmayr Grips and trigger job. The weight difference is not so noticeable and recoil is very low. In fact you can get real shorty grips for it and the recoil will remain low. I would not advise shooting a lot of + P ammo through it.

I would suggest you to get in the habit of shooting only in double action mode.

The S&W model 642 would also be a good choice. The same gun without a hammer. I would reccomend the same modifications for this model also.
Just my 2 cents. Good luck on your purchase.

A S&W J frame isn't a beginners gun. I think you would be far better off learning to shoot with a 4" barrel mid sized gun like the S&W Model 10 or a Ruger GP100.

That being said, I own several J frames and one is my all time carry gun. I've been shooting it for years and have learned to shoot it well. Learning on my GP100 as my first center fire trainer made it easier to transition to a snub nose later, after I gained experience.

It's pretty easy to carry a 4" inch K frame if you need it for self defense. Go to the snub gun later, when you've got 5000 full power loads under your belt.

Back
Top Bottom