• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 629 and Chinese ammo = Boom

I guess it just not a 40 that goes boom...

Attachments

• 44MAGNUM-1.jpg
    44MAGNUM-1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 251
  • 44MAGNUM-2.jpg
    44MAGNUM-2.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 44MAGNUM.jpg
    44MAGNUM.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 253
  • 44MAGNUM-3.jpg
    44MAGNUM-3.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 251
I got e-mailed the pics with this caption.

A guy came into the police department the other day to ask a favor.
He had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range.
He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the

gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.

I got this E mail too, and I thought it was mostly crap. Somebody screwed up, but I heard it was a Chinese Govt trap to kill us all with lead and paint on our McDonald's drinking cups.

Here is the text from the E mail:

I do not like to get anything “Made in China ”. They are tiring to kill us! Lead in paint, poison in food, lead in ceramics. Poison in the dyes, Not going to get anything from china. Go ahead if you want to.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

b

S&W 44 Magnum accident -

First it was baby formula, then pet food, but now you
should watch out when buying anything from China ,
including bright, shiny, ammunition.

A guy came into the police department the other day to ask a favor.
He had a S&W 629 (.44 Mag) that he wanted to dispose of after a
mishap at the range. He said there was a loud bang when he tested
his new ammo, (Chinese made), and the gun smacked him in the
forehead, leaving a nice gash.

When the tweety birds cleared from around his head, the pictures
show what he saw. Bet he never uses Chinese made ammo
again! Looks like when the round in the chamber went off, it also
set off at least two other rounds in adjacent cylinders. I would
have hated to been the one that pulled the trigger on that one!

I've never seen Chinese .44 Magnum. I haven't looked (because I make my own), but are there Chinese commercial ammo manufacturers that export to the US?

As much as I'd like to believe it, I'm calling BS because of this part:
and the gun smacked him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash.
Anyone that's ever had a revolver blow up on them knows that it'll generate less recoil, not more.

Last edited:
I've never seen Chinese .44 Magnum. I haven't looked (because I make my own), but are there Chinese commercial ammo manufacturers that export to the US?

I don't think so. I've never seen any chinese ammunition other than the pre-clinton norinco stuff.

IIRC after Clinton the only thing coming from china gun wise is crappy optics, some shotguns... but no rifles, handguns, or ammunition. I could be wrong but the only chinese ammo I see at all, anywhere, is really old stuff.

-Mike

There is no chinese .44 mag ammo. It's import has been banned since slick willy was in office and even before then .44 mag was not a caliber they sent over here.

If I was going to make a WAG, this is nothing more than a picture of a blown up gun (due to overcharged reloads) with a fake story accompanying it.

-Mike

Then there's the little bit of physics that strongly suggests that if the top-strap and the top of the cylinder get blown out, the force will tend to push the gun down, not up into the supposed shooter's forehead.

Ken

Looking at the yellow sheet in the picture I have deciphered that it is infact a pic from a police dept. AST Case#, Audio, Video, 911. Troop# etc are all fields on it.
AST refers to the Alaska State Troopers most likely.

So the story may be partly true of disposing of the gun at the PD, but the how it happened is bullcrap.

As much as I'd like to believe it, I'm calling BS because of this part:

Anyone that's ever had a revolver blow up on them knows that it'll generate less recoil, not more.

I agree with this 100%. Someone double charged a reload and didn't want to admit to the error.

You can find these pictures on other forums, seems it first showed up in Emails. These Emails original story was over charged reloads only recently became chinese ammo.

Google "S&W 629 blow up" or something similar... check out the image results, find the pictures and you can see all the forums these pics have been attached to.

My money is on overcharged reloads based on google-fu.... in terms of personal experience I will leave this to the experts

Regardless of the actual story - chinese ammo or not...

When I look at that gun I get the same feeling I used to get as a kid when I stood on the pedals of my bike to get up some speed and my foot slipped.....

no mention of , "I have had this gun since new never a single reload in it" hmmm. I have only seen 2 guns blow up like that. 1. was a revolver that the young guy was reloading his own ammo. the other was a old boltaction rifle

I agree with the others - I have never seen Chinese-made .44 Magnum and I suspect this was a reload gone bad.

Back
Top Bottom