S&W 627 rust on frame

chinalfr

NES Member
OK, I admitted that I'm sloppy on gun cleaning task. One of my favorite revolver start to grow surface rust. [sad2][sad2] I'm looking for recommendation on how to get the rust off this beauty. I took a picture to show my awful sin.

FF201604-BFD3-4D3C-8B50-B22351E343A4_zpskfc4lzlo.jpg

[sad][sad] It's sad [crying][crying]

Too bad it's not a Ruger, you'd be all set. [pot]

Seriously, store your guns indoors.

Last edited:
Too bad it's not a Ruger, you'd be all set. [pot]

Seriously, store you guns indoors.

The beauty was stored indoors. I got several revolvers store at the same location, none have the same symptom. The room always have a dehumidifier running so it's on the comfort zone.

As a lesson learn, I'm getting more goldenrod and humidity monitor installed into the safe and all revolvers will stay in the safe unless it's heading to range.

p.s. I'm a ruger fan too, so no debate about ruger vs S&W. [laugh][laugh]

Polish the brushed finish off it perhaps? It'll take some work but if you do it right the result will be a shiny beauty. Other than that. A VERY fine unused scotch bright or stainless steel wool might remove some of it.

There. Is that easier to read?

Last edited:
How old is this gun? If this is the only gun in the safe rusting, it might be a metallurgical problem more than a maintenance one.

-Mike

first try birchwood casey lead remover cloth ( has worked wonders with other stainless blemishes for me), then try the others, worst case you polish out the gun with mothers polishing wax. i have two smiths i did, and man do they sparkle!

first try birchwood casey lead remover cloth ( has worked wonders with other stainless blemishes for me), then try the others, worst case you polish out the gun with mothers polishing wax. i have two smiths i did, and man do they sparkle!

Yeah those cloths amaze me. I don't know what they put on them but wow do they make my GP100 shine. Do you think it would be abrasive enough to remove surface rust from his revolver? Certainly worth a shot.

Yeah those cloths amaze me. I don't know what they put on them but wow do they make my GP100 shine. Do you think it would be abrasive enough to remove surface rust from his revolver? Certainly worth a shot.

It will remove baked on powder staining on the front of the cylinder. So it just might. One way to find out.

i had some surface rust on my encore barrel under the sights, used that rag, a couple minutes of rubbing, and boom gone....

How old is this gun? If this is the only gun in the safe rusting, it might be a metallurgical problem more than a maintenance one.

-Mike

Mike, I had this gun about a year. This is not an older gun since S&W still have a SKU for it.

Let me try this. I have try hoppe with scotch brite. Not much luck.

Lead away cloths always worked for me with Dept. Revolvers that were ABUSED (not by me)

And Mothers Mag Polish (red & White jar) Does miracle work with SS & Nickel guns

Mike, I had this gun about a year. This is not an older gun since S&W still have a SKU for it.

The reason I asked is because S&W has had metallurgical problems like this before. There were some guys with M&Ps a few years ago that had these issues and sent their guns in and got the slides replaced.

It's just very suspicious to me that one particular gun is rusting and none of the other ones in the safe are, and from the sounds of it, you h ave a pretty controlled environment. If it was me I'd probably gently try to get rid of the rust, but I'd take pics of it before doing so. If it came back again I'd be tearing the factory a new ******* and I'd want a new pistol under warranty.

-Mike

I make some progress, but not sure it's actually good. The surface cleanup a lot better with lead away cloth. I will try to take some pictures tonight as I didn't take a picture after using the lead away cloth.

Just to clarify, the revolver was stored in a locked box (not sealed like pelican case). The locked box is stored in a room with dehumidifier. If the revolver was stored in the safe, I think the problem might not happening as the safe got extra humidity control. I have 4 revolvers save in this locked box. The other 3 revolvers do not have any symptom.

I make some progress, but not sure it's actually good. The surface cleanup a lot better with lead away cloth. I will try to take some pictures tonight as I didn't take a picture after using the lead away cloth.

Just to clarify, the revolver was stored in a locked box (not sealed like pelican case). The locked box is stored in a room with dehumidifier. If the revolver was stored in the safe, I think the problem might not happening as the safe got extra humidity control. I have 4 revolvers save in this locked box. The other 3 revolvers do not have any symptom.

Quick Question.. My safe is in a cool room. So when I open the door to the room, warmer(and slightly more humid) air comes in.. Does your dehumidifier warm up the room? Is there any temperature differential? Also, I agree with there being a metallugical issue.. Not all SS are equal in rust resistance, trace chloride salts(from fingers) can cause certain blends to "weep".

Note that it is made of stainless steel, not stainfree steel. Stainless steel can and will rust.

I hear you, but if it is the only SS gun in the safe that exhibits this, I think the problem is with the gun, not the environment. Remember a few months ago Ruger had a run of SR1911s that had metallurgic issues and were rusting? They got replaced.

I just thought of another thing, have you owned this since new? I have heard that rubbing stainless steel with steel wool could embed steel in the surface and cause rust. Have you ever cleaned it with steel wool?

Chris

Just took a pics after using the lead cloth.

519C30FA-5D3C-43D7-AED4-7241240756A0_zpswzvuynan.jpg

Improvement seen, still see some little tiny spots.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

It's futile , it will never be good enough for you, so as not to prolong your agony I will gladly help you out by taking possession of that weapon. Your welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's futile , it will never be good enough for you, so as not to prolong your agony I will gladly help you out by taking possession of that weapon. Your welcome! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get in line. You are no. 1001. It's on FIFO. Now serving no. 0. [wink]

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Back
Top Bottom