• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 622 .22lr

Members, can you give me some insight on a 622 please. I've read good reviews but want to know if anything is negative on them. Also the value of one in excellent condition.
Thanks

Although true, I find a lot of Specialized forums are biased. I would probably get a lot more hands off comments than hands on.
A quick look on GunBroker has them between $400 and $500.

Not a gun I see regularly. They are definitely different with the barrel on the bottom of the spring and action. I think they are cool.....but I like odd guns.

Personal experience!

One day many years ago I walked into Four Seasons and bought the 622 for my Wife. It was a gun that Albie Walton put on consignment when he escaped Mass. [Albie was active with GOAL before heading South.] It came with an UltraDot and is my Wife's favorite gun. I occasionally shoot it as well and it is a good shooting gun.

Taking it apart to clean is a bit of a challange but it is an excellent plinker. I'd put the price in the $450 area.

These pop up in the 300-400 range,.. there is a 622 and a 422 currently for sale around my area. I own a 2206 and a 622 and they are well made. They come with adj target or fixed rear sights,. and take M41 mags. Mine are reliable and are keepers.

Personally I like heavier than light weight pistols. My buddy had one and shot it well. Rather stick with Ruger MK 1 or 2 series. Hate the 22/45s. The Old High standards are way better or SW 41. As a plinker, 622 it’s fine.

Basically if you are a good handgun shooter you can make anything work. A new gun won’t help your abilities IMHO. I’m a rifle guy who likes DA wheel guns. I shoot DA better than SA. ...yeah, just how I am. Stick with one and master it. YMMV.

The balance has always felt off for me with the 622. I think of them as a bad copy / cheaper version of a model 41.
Way back when after drilling and tapping they were popular for mounting scopes on. Now most .22's have a lot better mounting options right from the factory.

unless one is a collector I see no purpose for these old rimfire pistols
further the mags for the 422/622 appear to be discontinued and may be tough to find
there are so many great modern rimfires like the victory or mark iii/iv, clones with aftermarket support like tandemkross
if the 422 really wets your willie than go for it i'm sure the guns will appreciate in value over time

I think the 4/622 was a attempt by SW to make a “cheaper” model 41?
Not a long run on production.
Im a bit bias to the early gen SW semi auto . The 4/622 is probably much better than any semi 22 SW currently produces in the $3-500 range. I would look for a 2206 vs the 4/622? 2206 is all stainless and had some nice heft to it

A post close to my heart, I picked up a 622 recently from Four Seasons, it was missing the rear sight and looks like the original owner tried to groove the front sight to glue a fiber optic into. The mags wouldn't stay in the gun either which was weird.
Well, the trusty inter-web got me to a place for parts (no rear sight though) Smith & Wesson Model 622 Parts | Numrich Gun Parts and after a little work I modified the slide and a current S&W revolver rear sight to work.

This gun is a hoot to shoot and doesn't feel like any other 22 I've ever shot, I like it just for it's unusual-ness, it feels great in the hand and is a plinker for sure as the trigger linkage will never lend itself to be a bullseye gun.
It does take newer model 41 mags but I have a really old Mod. 41 that won't work, it looks like the the notch that catches with the mag catch needs to be opened up.

The $300-$400 price sounds about right for a complete gun, I paid $150 but as I said, I've had to do a bit of work to bring it back to a shooter.

It is a very parts intensive gun internally, here's a great web site on how to disassemble and re-assemble the gun.

+1 for the 622. Got mine on a whim and it has been a fun fun gun. Thin and light mine has a B square Mount with old red dot. Takes 41 mags which are plentiful and if you look you can find preban 12 rounders. Find workmanship and great to introduce new shooters to pistols.
Don't miss out

The mags are the same as the 41 mags, you can find them for about 10 bucks a piece. The gun is a great shooter, it eats any ammo I've fed it and asked for more. Accurate sucker too!

The mags are the same as the 41 mags, you can find them for about 10 bucks a piece. The gun is a great shooter, it eats any ammo I've fed it and asked for more. Accurate sucker too!
How many you got? At that price ill take 3, even though I dont need anymore.

I have three members of this pistol family, a 622VR, 422, and a 2214.
S&W built these in their Houlton Maine facility.
I got my 622VR new in 1997, which was the only year they made them, it's the one with the vent rib.
They're all fun plinkers and mostly reliable with good ammo, but they're not target guns.
The profile is very slim and the 4"-5" models fit in a 1911 holster.
The alloy models are really light and easy to carry all weekend out hunting or hiking.
The triggers aren't too bad, but they're not m41 grade by any stretch, take down is not m41 like either.
Mine came with a little tool, which doubles as a chamber flag, to hold the guide rod back so you can pull out the wedge.
You can use a spent .22 case if you don't have the tool.
Top ends are easily interchangeable too, I've mixed and matched parts to make two-tone variations.
The mag release is in an odd spot, but it's easy to use.
The mags are forward compatible, but not backwards compatible, with the m41.
My 1979 vintage m41 mags don't work because the locking notch is on the side, while the 422 series has it on the front of the mag body. Current production mags have a locking notch that extends from the side to the front, so they'll work with older 41's too.
The 2214 mags have the same notch, but they're shorter, only holding 8 rounds, but they're too short to work in the 422/622 guns. However, the longer 10 & 12 round mags work fine in the 422 & 622.

unless one is a collector I see no purpose for these old rimfire pistols
further the mags for the 422/622 appear to be discontinued and may be tough to find
there are so many great modern rimfires like the victory or mark iii/iv, clones with aftermarket support like tandemkross
if the 422 really wets your willie than go for it i'm sure the guns will appreciate in value over time
Actually a model 41 S&w pistol will shoot the snot out of a 10 ring circle; and the magazines for the models; 422, 622, and 2206 are interchangeable with the model 41. And yes the entire series has appreciated over time.

Back
Top Bottom