S&W 500 range accident

.45 ACP = .22 short compared to .500 magnum.

083.jpg

well, actually it's a BB cap

Last edited:
I've seen accidental double-taps with the .500 even with experienced shooters. When someone shoots mine, they get one round.

You let me take a shot a few years back at a pumpkin shoot and even though I'm a big guy it still kicked like a mule.

I don't think it's much worse than a 45 ACP. I've fired the one up at Bob's before and after the guy committed suicide with it.

This is sarcasm without the tags right? While I haven't shot the .500 I do own a .44 mag and that is a buttload more powerful than .45ACP. The .500 is an order of magnitude more powerful than the .44 and in a different world than the .45. If you didn't think so, you weren't firing magnum powered loads.

Terrible accident but there's almost nothing in that story that would indicate to me who is to blame. Folks here seem to be jumping on "someone" giving a "beginner" a gun that was too powerful. Not a crazy assumption but there's nothing in the story that indicates who the gun belonged to or what the woman's experience level was.

main-964.jpg

357 magnum rounds out of this little puppy create quite the fireball.
it also jumps in your hand, that's how light it is. ouch..

Though not as bad as the 500.

Can you guys believe what the S&W 500 ES (Emergency Survival Bear Kit) has sold for? I can't.

11-6-2013 10-13-54 PM.jpg

ain't she purdy though?

pix160308854.jpg

I've shot one and don't like it much. I'm OK with a .44 but the .500 is just an angry beast. Maybe I should take my dress off but hot dang I find it punishing..

This is sarcasm without the tags right? While I haven't shot the .500 I do own a .44 mag and that is a buttload more powerful than .45ACP. The .500 is an order of magnitude more powerful than the .44 and in a different world than the .45. If you didn't think so, you weren't firing magnum powered loads.

Terrible accident but there's almost nothing in that story that would indicate to me who is to blame. Folks here seem to be jumping on "someone" giving a "beginner" a gun that was too powerful. Not a crazy assumption but there's nothing in the story that indicates who the gun belonged to or what the woman's experience level was.

No, the first time I fired it I was expecting to be knocked on my ass. I guy I know had rented it and wanted to know if I wanted to fire a round. It wasn't kicking him back, but he's way bigger than me, and I'm 5-10' 230ish. I held on for dear life, and I'm not saying it didn't kick, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. I'll have to fire it again, maybe I blocked it out it was so terrible [hmmm]. I might be up at Bob's on Sunday, if so, I'll fire it again.

Im kinda missing the part where they said she was an "inexperienced" shooter...can this not happen to any1? There are so many scenario's you cant just point fingers... or are we playing the shes a female card? Lol

I used to have a slow motion video that showed how the double tap can happen. Can't find it now.

In any case, the recoil compresses both the grip and hand enough that the trigger can reset and then as the grip and hand return, it gets pulled again. Where a person releases the trigger quickly, it can actually make the situation more likely.

If you watch this video, you can see a little of the compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was always an unwritten rule in the USMC that first time out on the range, with ANY weapon, you'd only have ONE round in a position to fire and that you'd fire one at a time until you had familiarized yourself with the weapon's recoil and your reaction to it. This is why.

Great psa safety reminder e.c.
a guy at a turkey shoot Who let me use his shotgun said this was his rule,one round at a time
in a gun new to you.
good tool to keep in your mental tool box.

EC was kind enough to let me shoot one of his nuke loads out of the 500 a couple years back, and I had a double. Felt the second trigger pull with the pistol pointed about 45 degrees up. [shocked]

Of course, he had only loaded one. After owning and loading for several mag revolvers, and having a brief fascination with a 10" T/C Contender in 30/30, I don't consider myself recoil sensitive. EC is right, though - those 500 S&Ws are different.

Fun as hell though! Someday....

Ive fired this revolver before - yeah, the recoil is something else, but I still can't fathom how this happened. was the trigger modified?

I don't think it's much worse than a 45 ACP. I've fired the one up at Bob's before and after the guy committed suicide with it.

Probably with their ammo, right? I doubt they sell full power loads to go with the rental gun.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom