• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 500 range accident

Awful. Never shot one, but I've heard you only load 1 until you can handle the recoil. I guess this is why?

Let me guess -- her moron male friend thought it would be funny to have her shoot a gun that is way, way too powerful for her, and video her hurting herself. These sorts of morons do nothing good for the shooting sports.

Shame considering if someone had bothered to show her how to shoot it properly it could have likely been avoided. [sad2]

-Mike

I don't even understand how that could happen. It's a revolver, not a semi auto. Not like you can "bumpfire" a revolver...

Edit: after seeing that video above, I take that back! I guess you can bumpfire it![shocked]

Fires gun, major recoil on the gun back towards the shooter's head, finger still on the trigger and fires again. Who in their right mind would let an inexperienced shooter shoot a .500 anyways? You're basically making them afraid of guns for the rest of their lives potentially.

Who in their right mind would let an inexperienced shooter shoot a .500 anyways?

Take a look on Youtube. There are a lot of morons who think taking a video of their girlfriend hurting herself is funny. Similar accidents have happened with .44 Magnum.

Take a look on Youtube. There are a lot of morons who think taking a video of their girlfriend hurting herself is funny. Similar accidents have happened with .44 Magnum.

I noticed that after watching the video in this thread. Very irresponsible of whomever put the gun in her hands without proper instruction and guidance. Very sad because this is the kind of stuff the antis like to latch onto to illustrate how dangerous guns are.

That's awful. Start new shooters with a .22LR, seriously. And don't just hand them the gun, explain how it works. Start with 1 round in the magazine/cylinder.

This was 100% avoidable.

I've seen accidental double-taps with the .500 even with experienced shooters. When someone shoots mine, they get one round.

so what's the mechanism of action here where that second round goes off? Is it that the recoil causes the hammer to travel backwards enough that it has enough force to slam forward and fire off the next round? That combined with a death grip on the gun means they don't quite release the trigger?

so what's the mechanism of action here where that second round goes off? Is it that the recoil causes the hammer to travel backwards enough that it has enough force to slam forward and fire off the next round? That combined with a death grip on the gun means they don't quite release the trigger?

I think the recoil is so intense that they're actually pulling the trigger a second time. It's a revolver, so even if the hammer rocked back (with the trigger still depressed) it would only strike the same round again.

They are holding on to the grip as strong as they can, but the recoil is stronger than their grip. As a result, when it recoils, their finger goes forward enough for the trigger to reset. But they are still trying to grip as hard as they can, so they mistakenly pull the trigger again.

I've seen accidental double-taps with the .500 even with experienced shooters. When someone shoots mine, they get one round.

haven't shot yours in some time, but someone had a snubby .500 at the pumpkin shoot last weekend, had regular old factory magtech ammo. i asked for just one round.

never had shot a snubby .500, it was pretty brutal even considering it was factory ammo.

They are holding on to the grip as strong as they can, but the recoil is stronger than their grip. As a result, when it recoils, their finger goes forward enough for the trigger to reset. But they are still trying to grip as hard as they can, so they mistakenly pull the trigger again.

That's a better explanation than mine.

I don't think I've ever let anyone shoot my .500 with more than one round in the cylinder. You need to learn how to handle that gun first. Now I think I will apply the same rule to my .44 Mag as well, at least until they understand what it does and demonstrate that they can control it.

Some of the commenters on the origional article ARE calling for criminal charges....geesh...but if you can't prosecure letting an 8YO shoot a micro uzi in MA then in IN it's going to be near impossible (& unwarranted anyway). Thats just TOO big a gun for a newbie (& some who do have vast experience too).

I'm suprised they're saying they don't expect to file charges. Tragic!

Maybe in a more gun friendly state the fact that you just killed one of your friends is punishment enough? I don't know what I would do if that happened to one of my friends while at the range with me. I wouldn't be right for the rest of my life.

reps inbound as I think you nailed it.

Sad to hear.
Gun is a wonderful model.
Load-one-skip-one would have worked too.
~Matt

I've copied your rule when people shoot my grandfathers .500. I've let all sorts of people shoot it, and everyone myself included only get one shot loaded at a time.

If this were to happen in MA, the range would be shut down, the town would become red and people would be clamoring for more gun laws before the week was done. Sometimes the foolish among our own can be the worst enemy.

I noticed that after watching the video in this thread. Very irresponsible of whomever put the gun in her hands without proper instruction and guidance.

It's not lack of experience, instruction, or guidance. I've let very experienced shooters try mine, told them exactly what to expect, warned them specifically about the possibility of a double-tap and still found the spent case one position to the left of the barrel with the hammer down. More than a few times.

ETA: This happens somewhat frequently with experienced action shooters who are use to quickly resetting the trigger, and also newbies that tend to slap and release the trigger.

This, plus the grip is really squishy under recoil. You have to pull the trigger hard and think about holding it back. The heavier the recoil, the worse it is.

Last edited:
If this were to happen in MA, the range would be shut down, the town would become red and people would be clamoring for more gun laws before the week was done. Sometimes the foolish among our own can be the worst enemy.

What is your point? There are incident involved SW 500, but just incident. I won't took the finger and point @ others.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

Back
Top Bottom