S&W 500 Magnum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here have one of these revolvers and if so, how do you like it? What barrel length do you have? I am trying to figure out if I want a .44 magnum (S&W 629) or a S&W 500.

Thanks

I have both of these guns and I have to say the 500 gets a lot more use..... Just a fun gun to shoot...

I also have to say that I cast my own bullets and do all my own reloading so cost of ammo is not a big deal here.... YMMV....[wink]

Does anyone here have one of these revolvers and if so, how do you like it? What barrel length do you have? I am trying to figure out if I want a .44 magnum (S&W 629) or a S&W 500.

Thanks

I have the standard 8 3/4" version with compensated muzzle. Wanting one or the other really depends on what you wish to use it for, and your budget.

Unless you can reload your own, the factory prices for .500 ammo is between $2.50-$4 per round. Pre-reloaded you can get it down to about $1.75 per round.

I've been eying big bore revolvers, and I think it comes down to "What do you want to use it for?"

With my cast bullets my reloads come out at around 16 cents a round......[smile]

BTW, both my 500 and 629 are 8 3/8 barrels.....

I have the standard 8 3/4" version with compensated muzzle. Wanting one or the other really depends on what you wish to use it for, and your budget.

Unless you can reload your own, the factory prices for .500 ammo is between $2.50-$4 per round. Pre-reloaded you can get it down to about $1.75 per round.

Do you guys mind me asking what you paid for it and where you got it? I was up at Riley's in NH today and I think they wanted like 1100 for the 4" one

I really don't know what they cost. Mine came from Four Seasons shortly after being made available. And, my wife bought both of them for me!

Thanks

I've got the "original" 8-3/8" version. I love it. I make my own ammo, and although it's pretty spendy to shoot per *round*, it's not spendy to shoot overall. I can go through a hundred rounds of 9mm and it's not really a big deal, but 10 rounds of .500 and I've had enough. Also, it's totally worth it to let other folks at the range shoot it, the huge grins are totally worth the ammo cost.

I don't have a .44 to compare to.

I got the 500 'cuz it's such an absurd dinosaur gun. It's such a completely over the top cartoon/Johnny Dangerously/Yosemite Sam/Roger Rabbit gun it's a total hoot.

I have no intention of hunting with it, it's an absurd defense gun, and ... well... it's not a target gun for me. It's a "you must be kidding me" gun for me, and it serves that purpose well.

...Also, it's totally worth it to let other folks at the range shoot it, the huge grins are totally worth the ammo cost.

...I got the 500 'cuz it's such an absurd dinosaur gun. It's such a completely over the top cartoon/Johnny Dangerously/Yosemite Sam/Roger Rabbit gun it's a total hoot...

...It's a "you must be kidding me" gun for me, and it serves that purpose well.

Yep yep, we think alike, hehe. To get even wider eyes when you are letting people shoot it, tell them that there are many carry holsters available for it, either shoulder or waistbad types. Teehee.

Last edited:
I love the .500, I've shot maybe around 10 rounds through them. Unfortunatly I havent gotten close to overcoming the huge flinch I have with this gun [rofl]

I have a couple of them. There as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

The 8-3/8" is about the most accurate handgun I own. I bought the 4" used for short money - along with a box of ammo with 3 rounds missing. I got the big one in a trade for a gun I paid $300 for.

I have an 8 3/8" .500 that is the most accurate handgun I have ever fired. I've also shot the 4" and the velocity and accuracy came a lot closer to the 8 3/8" than I expected. I also have .44 magnums in 8 3/8" and 4 3/4". With full loads, the .44's kick harder and are not even close in power to the .500. I paid $700 for my .500 at AG guns in Lowell. The guy sold it to me cheap because he had never sold one to anybody and he thought I was crazy for wanting one. I reload for both calibers and many others so ammunition is plentiful and not very expensive. I don't shoot the nuclear loads that EC shoots. I loaded some but I'm too much of a sissy to shoot them. Maybe I'll toughen up and try them this long week end.

With my cast bullets my reloads come out at around 16 cents a round......[smile]

BTW, both my 500 and 629 are 8 3/8 barrels.....

Of course it can only be that cheap if you don't put any value on your own time. I understand all the reasons why one wouldn't (fun, 'time I'd otherwise waste', etc.), but there IS a value to your time. I'd love to know the cost to reload INCLUDING a cost for the time to acquire the scrap lead, melt it, cast it, clean the brass, trim the brass (if necessary), and load the rounds.

I have a couple of them. There as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

The 8-3/8" is about the most accurate handgun I own. I bought the 4" used for short money - along with a box of ammo with 3 rounds missing. I got the big one in a trade for a gun I paid $300 for.

P.S. EC, I have a new-found respect for your reloading prowess. I never knew about your personal site until this thread, and enjoyed your humor in the mini-articles you wrote there. Awesome that you have the means to experiment with your reloads. *bows*

I have a S&W Model 500 with the 4" barrel with removable compensator and seperate compensators for jacketed and lead bullets. It is wonderfully fun to shoot. I reload with Winchester 296 Ball powder and generate big balls of muzzle flash, heat and chest thumping concussion, but I find the rubber grips and compensator generates less hand/wrist pain than shooting a .44Mag I got mine on a very sweet deal (though not as sweet as EC trade on a $300 pistol) It was a 1 year old rental at a local shooting range. Unfortunately it was a gift for my ex-gf, so I had to buy it twice (once as a gift to her and again after we broke up because she needed money and had to sell the gun) I don't cast my own bullets, but managed to pick up a 1000 piece case of 350gn fully jacketed hollow-points with free shipping. I'm still working through the first 500pcs box. Since I have the .500 S&W already, I think I'd rather pickup an S&W Model 460, but I likely wouldn't turn down another sweet deal on a second .500 S&W. A good deal on a like chambered lever-action would be really nice too, so I could have a revolver and carbine in the same caliber.

Of course it can only be that cheap if you don't put any value on your own time. I understand all the reasons why one wouldn't (fun, 'time I'd otherwise waste', etc.), but there IS a value to your time. I'd love to know the cost to reload INCLUDING a cost for the time to acquire the scrap lead, melt it, cast it, clean the brass, trim the brass (if necessary), and load the rounds.

He should also put a value on all the time he wastes at the range shooting. [/sarcasm]

I hate this argument. Nobody that casts or reloads hates doing it. Also, it doesn't take nearly as much time as people that don't do it think it does.

Wheel weights take minutes to pick up from your local sources (tire shops and garages on the way home from work).

You dump it in a pot while you're doing something else and let it melt (this takes about 30 seconds to fill the pot, the burner does all the rest of the work). You flux it, skim off the crap, and pour it into molds for ingots (this takes maybe 15 minutes for 50 lb melt).

It takes 30 seconds to dump the brass in a tumbler and a few minutes to separate the media when it's done. You don't trim pistol brass.

For the .500, 50lbs of alloy will make about 1000 bullets. You can cast them in an evening. Size them in another evening, and load them in another. The total time to make 1000 rounds of .500 is about 13 hours. If you were to buy 1000 loaded S&W.500 hollowpoints, you'd spend about $2000. Subtract $160 for the cost of reloading supplies and you're ahead $1840 for about 13 hours of work.

He's 'saving' over $140/hour that he puts into it. Do you still think it's not worth it?

ETA: He's also shooting rounds that are better than what you can buy, and he doesn't have to run all over creation to find a particular cartridge - he can just make it.

Last edited:

Melting down lead into ingots takes maybe a day or two for probably a couple years worth of shooting. Cleaning brass you just dump them in a tumble when you get home and take them out a couple hours later, no trimming because it's non-necked, casting bullets and reloading takes a couple hours for a few hundred to a few thousand.

I spend hours preparing meals too. It would be far cheaper to buy prepared foods when the cost of my time is included. But that's not the point at all.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. I understand. But for many the value of reloading is not measured in dollars and cents alone.

I don't have a 500 Magnum, but I reload and your questions can simply be answered by this:

I can make ammunition that no amount of money can buy. Rifle cartridges that are so perfectly one like the next and so perfectly matched and tuned to the rifle I use them in that no commercial enterprise them could make them for me at anything closely resembling a reasonable price.

He should also put a value on all the time he wastes at the range shooting. [/sarcasm]

I hate this argument. Nobody that casts or reloads hates doing it. Also, it doesn't take nearly as much time as people that don't do it think it does.

Wheel weights take minutes to pick up from your local sources (tire shops and garages on the way home from work).

You dump it in a pot while you're doing something else and let it melt (this takes about 30 seconds to fill the pot, the burner does all the rest of the work). You flux it, skim off the crap, and pour it into molds for ingots (this takes maybe 15 minutes for 50 lb melt).

It takes 30 seconds to dump the brass in a tumbler and a few minutes to separate the media when it's done. You don't trim pistol brass.

For the .500, 50lbs of alloy will make about 1000 bullets. You can cast them in an evening. Size them in another evening, and load them in another. The total time to make 1000 rounds of .500 is about 13 hours. If you were to buy 1000 loaded S&W.500 hollowpoints, you'd spend about $2000. Subtract $160 for the cost of reloading supplies and you're ahead $1840 for about 13 hours of work.

He's 'saving' over $140/hour that he puts into it. Do you still think it's not worth it?

ETA: He's also shooting rounds that are better than what you can buy, and he doesn't have to run all over creation to find a particular cartridge - he can just make it.

Jim, this is probably the best worded argument FOR casting/reloading your own. It's the reason I do it. I'm just not articulate enough to put it into words without swearing.[smile]

Well said, sir.

Hear Hear

Questions for those that cast for the 500 (and other high velocity cartridges) - Do you use a hard alloy? Do you use gas checks? What kind of velocities are you pushing the cast bullets at?

Very nicely put. I originally started reloading to save money. It grew to become a hobby all on its own. Some people fish, some collect coins or stamps, some people jump out of airplanes, some people golf. I cast bullets and make cartridges. I'll never be a world class shooter or reloader, but I still enjoy both. If you reload solely for the purpose of saving money I would expect that it becomes a chore. I find it relaxing, satisfying, and fun. Over the years I'm sure that I've spent just as much money on reloading tools and components as I would have spent on factory ammo, but I've been able to do a lot more shooting and had the pleasure of practicing my hobby.

EC,

I'm not saying it's not a great activity, economically worth it, or generally a no-brainer.

I'm just suggesting that the cost per round is probably a little higher than $.16.

My wife loves to knit and can crank out afghans, sweaters, etc. like a mad woman. She still understands though, that if she wants to sell them, that the yarn isn't the only cost she should recover.

I know too many guys who 'spend the weekend' reloading to think that a person's labor has nothing to do with the equation. It's an intellectual argument that obviously doesn't much matter to anyone who enjoys reloading.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom