S&W 3913?

I saw the 3913 suggested in the Suggestions wanted: Single stack 9mm for EDC and looked into it. I really like it! I try to buy not only made in america whenever possible, but also made in massachusetts as well. Can anyone elaborate on their experiences with them? I was sold on the S&W shield, except for the looks of a polymer frame - so this recent discovery may be the ticket for me.

I absolutely love mine. Small, about the size of the shield, light and not polymer. If your in the No.Dartmouth area i could let you try it out for yourself.

Another fan here. Just the right size. I had a Chief's Special 9 and found it was no easier to conceal, and harder to hold and shoot well.

Some people get the magazine safety removed, and do a trigger job, YMMV. I bought mine used and dirt cheap just as the S&W boycott was ending - like $275 or something. The "Ladysmith" models are sought after, not just by ladies.

Compared to Sig P220 and CZ85.
i-X32V63p.jpg

Compared to CS9.
i-6ggJZSL.jpg

I Love My Lady Smith. It's The Perfect Size, It's Light And It's A Great Shooter. If You Find One For Sale Don't Buy It. Let Me Know Who HaS It And I'll Buy it.

I absolutely love mine. Small, about the size of the shield, light and not polymer. If your in the No.Dartmouth area i could let you try it out for yourself.

ugh! I recently graduated from Umass Law - but now I'm back on the north shore [sad]

IM In Haverhill And I Have A Hectic Schedule. IM Sure We Could WorK Something Out If You Wanted To Shoot one.

I have had mine for a while, I bought it the day the brady bill passed, and I really like the size and weight. It's old school DA/SA slide mounted safety, but it's an ambi safety for us lefties.

IM In Haverhill And I Have A Hectic Schedule. IM Sure We Could WorK Something Out If You Wanted To Shoot one.

I very much appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't want to waste valuable time. Seeing the response to this thread has assured me plenty that it's a solid buy, when I find one.

I have had mine for a while, I bought it the day the brady bill passed, and I really like the size and weight. It's old school DA/SA slide mounted safety, but it's an ambi safety for us lefties.

The intranets tells me the 3913NL is anti-lefty (not that it matters for me) - can you confirm, eo1bart?

Have something very similar, a 4013. Typical 2nd Gen S&W semi auto. I bought this gun new i n 1992??? IIRC and these pistols, the gen 2's, will eat anything. This was the first semi I owned that would feed hollow points 100% as well as anything else...fmj or lead. I would never part with this little pistol for anything and still use it as a house gun. There's a big cult following for those gen 2's.

Last edited:
I very much appreciate the offer, but I wouldn't want to waste valuable time. Seeing the response to this thread has assured me plenty that it's a solid buy, when I find one.

The intranets tells me the 3913NL is anti-lefty (not that it matters for me) - can you confirm, eo1bart?

That's correct, left side only. FYI: The safety is actually a safety/decocker, which is nice for carrying purposes. After I insert my full magazine I rack the slide and load a round in the chamber, at this point the hammer is cocked. Then I use the decocker to drop the hammer. The pistol is now safe to carry as it is now double action(first round only) and safe to carry with the safety off. When you need it just draw and blast away. If you like you can carry with the safety on, but it's not necessary. Plus it's confusing for me because it works in the opposite direction as the thumb safeties on my 1911 and Browning Hi Power. ie: down is safety on

Have something very similar, a 4013. Typical 2nd Gen S&W semi auto. I bought this gun new i n 1992??? IIRC and these pistols, the gen 2's, will eat anything. This was the first semi I owned that would feed hollow points 100% as well as anything else...fmj or lead. I would never part with this little pistol for anything and still use it as a house gun. There's a big cult following for those gen 2's.

A S&W with a 4 digit model number is a third generation pistol, not a 2nd gen.

I have had a 6906 for many years and love it. Not as concealable as the single stack guns, but a pleasure to shoot and very accurate for a 3.25 in barrel. For those interested in removing the magazine safety, it consists of a spring and plunger held in place by the rear sight. Remove the rear sight, spring and plunger and re install rear sight. The only draw back is that the pistol should be re zeroed.

I have had a 6906 for many years and love it. Not as concealable as the single stack guns, but a pleasure to shoot and very accurate for a 3.25 in barrel. For those interested in removing the magazine safety, it consists of a spring and plunger held in place by the rear sight. Remove the rear sight, spring and plunger and re install rear sight. The only draw back is that the pistol should be re zeroed.

The S&W Gen 3 are great guns. I have a 5906TSW with 15-rd hi-caps. A little too heavy for carry, but love shooting it.

My first purchase after I got licensed was a 3913 from an NES member. It was also my first carry gun (first with no round in chamber, then round in chamber with safety on, then round in chamber safety off). For me it was the perfect gun for beginning to carry. I actually liked that the first pull was the heavy DA since I was new to carry. I've since switched to the Shield for EDC because it is smaller and lighter and conceals better for my body type. I don't like the mag disconnect, but never got around to removing it.

3913 is a lovely little gun. The 908 is basically the same thing, with what in the old days would be called a "War Production Finish."

I'd buy one if I didn't have a Sig P6.

That's correct, left side only. FYI: The safety is actually a safety/decocker, which is nice for carrying purposes. After I insert my full magazine I rack the slide and load a round in the chamber, at this point the hammer is cocked. Then I use the decocker to drop the hammer. The pistol is now safe to carry as it is now double action(first round only) and safe to carry with the safety off. When you need it just draw and blast away. If you like you can carry with the safety on, but it's not necessary. Plus it's confusing for me because it works in the opposite direction as the thumb safeties on my 1911 and Browning Hi Power. ie: down is safety on

The standard 3913 and 3913TSW are ambi, the LS and NL variations are left side only. I have a very rare 3914NL, and it's left side only.

Any 3rd gen gun is a good choice, but the compacts are really good for concealed carry for self defense. My 5906 is the most accurate pistol I own, it makes me look like an Expert shooter, which I most assuredly am not.

If you aren't determined to get a stainless gun, there is also the 3914. The problem is that they are pretty rare since they were only made for a couple of years before being supplanted by the 3913.

The "Value Line" guns are a good deal too. They are a bit more boxy than the 3913s because part of the cost cutting was to not machine the slides as much as the "real" 3rd gen guns. Also, some parts were replaced with plastic (mag release being one) to save money. Some value line guns come in both blue and stainless. Four Seasons had a bunch of them about a month ago, but they sold fairly quickly.

I also made some comments on the 3913 over in the thread about single stack 9mms for EDC.

The 6906 is the double stack version of the 3913, so all of my comments about the 3913 apply to them.

Great guns. Unfortunately Smith discontinued them a few years back to concentrate the M&P and their 1911 models. The only 3rd generation guns that *might* be in production are the 4006 for the CHP, and the 4566 for the WVSP. There are rumors that they still make full size 9mm guns for the LAPD and NYPD, but that is probably not true. Those have been updated enough that some experts (not me) refer to them as 4th generation guns.

There is also a DAO version, the 3953/54. The 53 is stainless, the 54 blue. Again, very unlikely to find them in MA, but some agencies down south used them when they transitioned from revolvers to semi autos. They so show up as trade ins in other states.

Finally, a 3914DAO was made for NYPD as an authorized off duty weapon. The big difference between that is that the 3914DAO has second trigger pull capability without cycling the slide while the 3953/54 require cycling the slide. The authorized NYPD firearms dealers were clearing those guns out at $600.00 about a year ago.

Other than that, I don't know anything about the 3913 family of guns.

I am a huge fan of the 3rd gen S&W's.

I never had a 3913, but this is usually not far away

101_2900 by john.nikon, on Flickr

The 3913's brother, the DAO 3953. A little slimmer than the 3913 due to lack of safety/decock levers and a nice DA revolver-like trigger pull.

I also have a 3913 LS that was converted to DAO by the Performance Center, so the story goes.

101_2883 by john.nikon, on Flickr

I haven't shot it yet, but it should be pretty nice.

For something a little different, you could also put a 3913 slide and barrel onto a 5906 frame and have a 15+ shot little powerhouse

100_3309 by john.nikon, on Flickr

This thing is a great little shooter, but a bit heavy due to being all stainless.

I saw the 3913 suggested in the Suggestions wanted: Single stack 9mm for EDC and looked into it. I really like it! I try to buy not only made in america whenever possible, but also made in massachusetts as well. Can anyone elaborate on their experiences with them?

Slide mounted safeties suck. Way too easy to accidentally put the gun on safe while cycling the slide.

You'll need to do a lot of practice to learn to manage the DA to SA transition.

The 908 is very similar to the 3913. They use the same mags too.

3913 is a lovely little gun. The 908 is basically the same thing, with what in the old days would be called a "War Production Finish."
The 908's are usually a little easier to find than a 3913. Seems that everyone wants a 3913 these days. [wink]

There was a used 908 (black finish) at Marlboro for $450. Can't recall how clean it looked, but some of those "war production finishes" can look a little nasty after being carried a while.

There was also a 908S (stainless steel slide and matching alloy frame) for $525. Very clean but too rich for me or I would have bought it.

The 3913 is a great gun. Not perfect, but pretty damn good. And affordable, and single stack mags are easy to conceal. If you find one for under $350, don't give it a second thought. If you fall in love, I have a Crossbreed Supertuck I'll give you a deal on.

I saw both of them, and while they were nice, they were overpriced. At least in my opinion. I think I paid $425.00 for my last 3913, which was used, but not heavily used. If you keep your eyes open and are patient, you should be able to find a pretty good 3913 in the range that they were asking for those 908s.

I did score two like new 3913 magazines for $20.00 each. Not in the package, but they don't look like they did much more than sit in a box. The guy had three, but I left one on the table figuring to come back after I had made a pass through the hall. Silly me, it was gone when I got back.

The 908's are usually a little easier to find than a 3913. Seems that everyone wants a 3913 these days. [wink]

There was a used 908 (black finish) at Marlboro for $450. Can't recall how clean it looked, but some of those "war production finishes" can look a little nasty after being carried a while.

There was also a 908S (stainless steel slide and matching alloy frame) for $525. Very clean but too rich for me or I would have bought it.

908 is shit compared to a 3913. A few years ago, you could find a PD trade-in 3913 or 6906 for sub-$300. If you're dying for single stack 9, get a shield.

Back
Top Bottom