• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 357 Auto Opinions

As you know you can run 357 thru an M&P 40.(with conversion barrel) Is it worth considering this gun to have the option ? Just talking caliber, not grip, trigger etc. It seems the 357 auto doesn't have a place. Looking for pros/cons.

I don't see the advantage of 357 sig over .40 cal. It costs more and you can get 135g hollow point for .40 cal with similar ballistics. For LE maybe, better penetration through objects (cover).

The 357 SIG round?

there is a huge difference between the .357 revolver cartridge and the .357SIG semi auto round.

So lets assume you are asking about the .357 Sig round

Yes the magazines are pretty much the same as the .40 S&W ones.

Most guns that take the .357Sig and the .40 Short & Weak can be converted by swapping the barrel out.

From what I have read over the years, the .357 Sig is a snappy round, and people who shoot it tend to like it, but it is not a round you are going to find on the shelf at your local WallyWorld, and it isn't cheap to shoot.

I would try to borrow or rent one before I dropped the C note plus on a barrel and even more on ammo.

It is almost a semi orphan round, like the 10MM, it came out with great ballistics, but it never quite caught on with the mass market, but there are law enforcement agencies that swear by them.

Last edited:
The 357 SIG round?

there is a huge difference between the .357 revolver cartridge and the .357SIG semi auto round.

So lets assume you are asking about the .357 Sig round

Yes the magazines are pretty much the same as the .40 S&W ones.

Most guns that take the .357Sig and the .40 Short & Weak can be converted by swapping the barrel out.

From what I have read over the years, the .357 Sig is a snappy round, and people who shoot it tend to like it, but it is not a round you are going to find on the shelf at your local WallyWorld, and it isn't cheap to shoot.

I would try to borrow or rent one before I dropped the C note plus on a barrel and even more on ammo.

It is almost a semi orphan round, like the 10MM, it came out with great ballistics, but it never quite caught on with the mass market, but there are law enforcement agencies that swear by them.

From what I've read, it's also very difficult to reload. So unlike the 10mm, which is also a good round, it is expensive to shoot when your options are limited to factory ammo.

357 Sig offers great penetration. One of the drawbacks is bullet setback, which is well documented in this round. It is also expensive and hard to find, just about as bad as 10mm IMO.

40 S&W gets you to about 400 ft/lbs.

357 sig will get you to the 580 ft/lb range, making it about 45% hotter than .40.

357 mag will get you to about 700 ft/lbs. Although most defensive loadings are near 357 sig levels.

9mm loads up to about 474 ft/lbs at 147grain.

That being said, if you want a firearm that will penetrate, .357 mag or 10mm mis the way to go.

Something we ALL need to ask ourselves is "How much is enough gun?" What works for you? Some people want to carry a 15-round 9mm, which is a great option. Some people want to carry a 8 round (I think) Colt 10mm 1911. It's all about you. Do your own research, there's tons of documentation about ballistics and the effectiveness of which against human targets. Don't take internet rabble for anything more than just that. The FBI is the foremost leader in ballistics information in the world (!), and for many years they carried 10mm, and if I'm not mistaken they carry Glock .40's and sometimes Sig .357's.

I myself carry a Sig 226 with 125 Grain GDHP's (400 ft/lbs), and sometimes a Smith 360PD, with 135 Grain Speer GDHP's (300 ft/lbs).

The only round that seems useless to me in this data is the .40, why carry a .40 when you can have a 9mm with the same energy, be more controllable, have a higher mag capacity, and not have the disadvantage of blowing up guns?

I would argue that the instances of .40S&W making guns blow up are mostly limited to Glocks, and the reason is more the fault of the shooter than the gun.

If you have a .40 Glock, never ever take a round out of the chamber and put it back in the magazine more than twice. What causes the KA BOOM is the bullet being setback into the case a little bit every time it is chambered, and too many times will cause over pressurization and a failure of epic proportions!

The ramp angles are too steep, and that causes the setback.

I have Sig p226s chambered in 9mm, .40, and .357SIG. The .357SIG is a lot of fun to shoot and is the most powerful of the three. When I carry a full size (which is rare - I'm usually a pocket gun guy) I go for the .357SIG.

As for cost, good .357SIG carry ammo isn't THAT much more expensive than other calibers, but admittedly cheap practice ammo is kinda hard to find.... If you load some extra hot 9mm you'll be pretty close to .357 "feel" for a lot less money.

As for the setback problem - I'm really not worried about that at all. It's rare that I chamber a round more than once anyway.

My reference to Glock fotay KB's is largely factitious.

but they do happen. It is not an urban myth.

But those Glock 7's that can go through a metal detector without being detected are sweet.

Made in Germany it is constructed entirely of porcelain !

but they do happen. It is not an urban myth.

But those Glock 7's that can go through a metal detector without being detected are sweet.

Made in Germany it is constructed entirely of porcelain !

They DO happen, that's for sure.

And the Gen4 Glock 7 is make out of carbon fiber instead of ceramic.

I have Sig p226s chambered in 9mm, .40, and .357SIG. The .357SIG is a lot of fun to shoot and is the most powerful of the three. When I carry a full size (which is rare - I'm usually a pocket gun guy) I go for the .357SIG.

As for cost, good .357SIG carry ammo isn't THAT much more expensive than other calibers, but admittedly cheap practice ammo is kinda hard to find.... If you load some extra hot 9mm you'll be pretty close to .357 "feel" for a lot less money.

As for the setback problem - I'm really not worried about that at all. It's rare that I chamber a round more than once anyway.

^ THIS^

357SIG will give you ballistics similar to 357Mag but allow you more than 6 rounds. The penetration to Auto Glass and other items is 357Sig alone and NOT the 357Mag. I believe there were tests conducted in airplanes where the 357SIG was able to penetrate several empty seats and adequately perform on Ballistic gel using the Gold Dot rounds. I carry a 226 in 357SIG quite a bit and eventually will have a M&P compact in that caliber. Great round, easy to reload, recoil is more straight back than flip making it easy to shoot. Yeah, they're loud but so what [wink]

Actually, I haven't seen an ammo-carrying Walmart that doesn't carry .357 Sig.

Barrel was about $70.

Not sure why you want a semiauto in S&W .357 but we all have our lists - insert smiley face here -

That said, there are severel 8 shot revolver .357 mags available from S&W. I have a model 327 with a 5" barrel. It is bad a55.

And you can shoot (cheaper) 38 special with it.

If I knew I was carrying it I would think twice about pissing me off ...

Last edited:
Not sure why you want a semiauto in S&W .357 but we all have our lists - insert smiley face here -

That said, there are severel 8 shot revolver .357 mags available from S&W. I have a model 327 with a 5" barrel. It is bad a55.

And you can shoot (cheaper) 38 special with it.

If I knew I was carrying it I would think twice about pissing me off ...

[rolleyes]

We're talking about two different calibers.

Back
Top Bottom