• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 340sc J Frame, .357

I've owned a S&W 340PD since 2003 and have not had any issues with the erosion that has been widely noted by owners. I even used it as my training gun in a combat pistol carry class back in 2005. I was the only wheel-gunner to toe the line that day. Everyone had semi-autos. (mostly SIGs, S&W and a few Berettas in 9mm, and a couple in .40 if I recall) My Instructor had a SIG P7, and said I had better keep up with my 5-shot. Challenge accepted, and having 8 HKS speed loaders helped me do just that. [wink] The instructor had me positioned as the last shooter on the right in case there were any issues. (which there was when the ejector rod loosened and hung me up)

The funniest thing was when we fired that first volley down the line and 9mm after 9mm (with an occasional .40 S&W) fired went "pew, pew, pew, PEW, pew "
and I fired my .357 snub that went "BOOM!". every head turned to the right and stared. (keep in mind that in 2005, nearly everyone had switched over to semi-autos, and wheelguns were relegated to "Old Men" and retired Cops)

I shot 400 rounds through it that day, half of it being 158gn, full-house .357mag carry ammo. I went home with a bleeding right hand, missing quite a bit of the webbing skin between my thumb and index finger, and had to keep it in ice for a couple of hours.

The only issue with the gun (and not my pussy hand) was that the hand-ejector rod would keep unscrewing after about 50 rounds of .357. The first time it happened the ejector rod had un-spun itself out so far I could not release the cylinder. After rolling it back with my thumb a few times I was able to open the cylinder and spin it back tight. Now I use a small amount of red loctite and it stays in place.

On the good side, I am lo longer recoil-sensitive having killed off the nerves in my right hand... [rofl2]

Great gun, by the way.

1337402-IMG_9952.jpg

Last edited:
Now I always thought 22mag needed some barrel length to be effective. What kind of velocity do you get out of that barrel?

Keep in mind the most likely shooting scenario while jogging: Predator jumping you.
2 or 4 legged.
.22WMR at point-blank-belly is better than a pointy stick...

Keep in mind the most likely shooting scenario while jogging: Predator jumping you.
2 or 4 legged.
.22WMR at point-blank-belly is better than a pointy stick...

Don't disagree but . . . Get the 38 !

Oh shit another thread about to become a caliber discussion 😂

My jogging gun is a 351PD. It weighs 11 ounces and holds 7 rounds of 22wmr. Lightweight revolvers are great, but they're even better when the ammo is light too and the recoil is virtually nonexistent.

I love Ruger, but have a hard time figuring out their thought process. They have the LCR in .22Mag in the six shot instead of the 8 shot .22lr and end up adding an ounce and a half.

I love Ruger, but have a hard time figuring out their thought process. They have the LCR in .22Mag in the six shot instead of the 8 shot .22lr and end up adding an ounce and a half.
The .22lr lcr is a cool idea but its actually heavier than the .38. Its weird.

I guess that makes sense, but theres 8 holes vs 5. I bet youre right but it sort of defeats the purpose for me...even though i kind of want one.

Volume removed is what matters.

(.11*.11*8)/(.19*.19*5) = .536

So the rough math is the 22 only had 53.6% of the material removes that a .38 would if they took a solid cylinder for both. Obviously they have different profiles so it is more complex but the math does still hold relevant.

Back
Top Bottom