• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

S&W 340PD - was it a mistake?

s4mt3k

NES Member
Hey guys, not much content to my post, just bored at night and looking for thoughts, opinions, advice...

I'm fairly new to gun ownership so bear with me. Ever since I picked up a S&W340PD I was amazed at how light it was, the look, shrouded hammer.... I never thought of myself as a revolver kind of person but this, I fell in love with. I couldn't bring myself to spend 900+ on a new one though. Found a "like new" one and got a good deal on it through an auction on gunbroker.

I haven't actually received it yet but reading some "range reports" and opinions, sounds like I'm going to absolutely hate shooting .357 out of it.

I kinda don't care considering that I plan on carrying it and not really shooting hundreds of rounds through it at the range, but nonetheless, I'm thinking maybe I should have researched it more...

One suggestion I read somewhere was to load it with 3 rounds of .38 and the last 2 rounds of .357 (when carrying)...

You'll just have to try it and find out. It is a gun I would put at "dead last" for anyone that was new to shooting. The learning curve to shoot snubs accurately is also relatively steep, but it's not impossible. You might have a lot of fun with that thing, who knows. Lots of DRY FIRING will help immensely with your skills. Double check to make sure its unloaded, and when you
see certain annoying people come on television, try to focus on them and dry fire without disturbing your sight picture. Even 10-20 mins of practice a day or even ever few days will improve your skills.

I wouldn't do the stupid round staggering thing- that's just mall ninja crap. Just get Speer .357 mag short barrel. It is not quite as potent as full house .357 mag but it is still way better than .38 +P in power.

-Mike

Definitely go for Buffalo Bore 180gr out of it...You'll be glad you did... [smile]

I don't think you made a mistake per se...I actually like the gun and wish they'd just make one in a .38 Special. I disliked shooting .357's out of it, but Speer 135gr +P Gold Dots were a breeze... The sights are nice as well and the gun just looks badass. As Mike suggested: practice, practice, practice.

- not ideal for a new shooter: I thought about that Mike, but then I realized I'd never buy another revolver to just get into revolvers, then snubs... It was going to be this one or nothing...

- dry firing: I plan on doing a lot of that. Saw somewhere that some people reported sparks when dry firing (in a dark room). I need to make sure it won't happen with mine.

- rounds: I'll make sure to steer clear from anything that says buffalo or whatever lol. I need my hands for my job (keyboard all day). The Speer rounds are HP correct? What do you guys suggest for cheaper range ammo?

I have a S&W 642. It weighs about 16 oz and is chambered in .38 Spcl. I'm a reasonably experienced gun owner (15+ years) and I find that the 642 hurts to shoot. The small sights and the short sight radius, combined with the long, stiff trigger, make it very hard to shoot accurately. It is NOT fun or easy to shoot.

The 340 PD weighs about 11 oz. In other words, when shooting .38 Spcl through it, it will have significantly more recoil than my 642. I would never want to shoot .357 through it.

I concur with drgrant that the 340 PD is about the last gun I would recommend for a new shooter.

I kinda don't care considering that I plan on carrying it and not really shooting hundreds of rounds through it at the range, but nonetheless, I'm thinking maybe I should have researched it more...
You won't learn to shoot it well if you don't shoot it a lot. And you won't want to shoot it a lot.

I agree with you on the research part -- do your research before buying a gun. Chances are that someone here has most any gun you are looking to buy.

One suggestion I read somewhere was to load it with 3 rounds of .38 and the last 2 rounds of .357 (when carrying).
I disagree. There is a distinct possibility that it will have different impact points for .38 and .357. Pick a particular load and stick with it.

- not ideal for a new shooter: I thought about that Mike, but then I realized I'd never buy another revolver to just get into revolvers, then snubs... It was going to be this one or nothing.
Spend some time firing someone else's Model 19 or Model 66 and you might rethink the part about never buying another revolver [wink]

Last edited:
The gun is uncomfortable with .357 Mag but its not the end of the world. I dont think its to bad at all. I would never consider carrying it with .38's and .357's mixed for CC'ing.

If you want to experience extreme pain, load these and pull the trigger five times:
125614.jpg

That ammo makes the web of my right hand (between thumb and index finger) bleed after six rounds through a 35 ounce Model 65. But that is the only thing I will carry for personal defense in my 3" and 4" medium frame .357 Magnum revolvers. There is simply nothing better. I, however, would never load that up in a lightweight snub.

If you want to have a very effective load with reasonable (for such a light gun) recoil, load and shoot these:
548921.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to experience extreme pain, load these and pull the trigger five times:

That ammo make the web of my right hand (between thumb and index finger) bleed after six rounds though a 35 ounce Model 65.

If you want to have a very effective load with reasonable (for such a light gun) recoil, load and shoot these:

Agreed.

I've got 500 125 grain .357 HP's in the basement. Now I'm going to have to load 'em up to some fun spec with 2400 or something, and a magnum primer for my 340 M&P. Sounds like too much fun to pass up.

125614.jpg

That ammo make the web of my right hand (between thumb and index finger) bleed after six rounds though a 35 ounce Model 65.

548921.jpg

125614.jpg

That ammo makes the web of my right hand (between thumb and index finger) bleed after six rounds though a 35 ounce Model 65. But that is the only think I will carry for personal defense in my 3" and 4" medium frame .357 Magnum revolvers. There is simply nothing better. I, however, would never load that up in a lightweight snub.

548921.jpg

Very hard to beat the old FBI load , it's still a great choice .

That ammo makes the web of my right hand (between thumb and index finger) bleed after six rounds...

How did your finger nails hold up?

french%20manicure%202.jpg

man up.

You'll be fine with the gun. It's just not a gun you're going to want to pull out and put a few hundred rounds through it every range trip.

The gun is great because it's so small and light. If I ever had to use it for its real purpose (self defense), I'd have no issue going through a week with my hand throbbing (not to mention it'd be the least of my worries).

I'd recommend you get the gun, go to the range with a few different types of ammo. Try them all out and get used to the gun so you know how it shoots. After that, carry it and only bring it out when you want to torture a friend at the range ;)

Thanks for the input guys... I'm really excited about trying it, and if it comes in within the next few days, I'm going to try to shoot it before going on vacation next Friday.

Some people said that upgrading the grips helps a lot when shooting .357 loads. I wouldn't mind trying that as long as I don't sacrifice the main purpose of this gun (weight, slimness...)

Where do you guys buy .357 rounds?? I've been getting my 9mm & .22lr from walmart.

Try to not roll your eyes at this one lol: Please explain to me the difference between .38, .38 special and .38 special +p....

Some people said that upgrading the grips helps a lot when shooting .357 loads. I wouldn't mind trying that as long as I don't sacrifice the main purpose of this gun (weight, slimness...)
Hogue makes a soft rubber grip that reduces felt recoil. Unfortunately, it also makes the gun big enough that I can't fit the gun in my pocket, thus defeating the purpose:

11CWXoOFy-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Where do you guys buy .357 rounds?? I've been getting my 9mm & .22lr from walmart.
A gun store [wink]

I usually go to Four Seasons or Collector's Guns.

Try to not roll your eyes at this one lol: Please explain to me the difference between .38, .38 special and .38 special +p....

When people say .38, they generally mean .38 Special. There are other .38 cartridges out there, but you probably won't run across them unless you are looking for them. Just make sure that the box you buy has .38 Special on it (as opposed to .38 Super, etc.).

.38 Special +P has higher max chamber pressure than .38 Special, but is less powerful than .357 Magnum. Since your gun can handle .357, it can also handle .38 +P.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

Some early .38 Special guns can not handle .38 Special +P.

Last edited:
Hogue makes a soft rubber grip that reduces felt recoil. Unfortunately, it also makes the gun big enough that I can't fit the gun in my pocket, thus defeating the purpose:

11CWXoOFy-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeh that won't work cause I would like to keep the gun in my pocket. Speaking of which, suggestions for a pocket holster? Midway USA has this for $15, was thinking of trying it http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=166521

A gun store [wink]

I usually go to Four Seasons or Collector's Guns.

Fair enough, I'll buy my ammo from First Def

When people say .38, they generally mean .38 Special. There are other .38 cartridges out there, but you probably won't run across them unless you are looking for them. Just make sure that the box you buy has .38 Special on it (as opposed to .38 Super,

.38 Special +P has higher max chamber pressure than .38 Special, but is less powerful than .357 Magnum. Since your gun can handle .357, it can also handle .38 +P.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special

Some early .38 Special guns can not handle .38 Special +P.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know (mainly know what to look for when I purchase ammo).

Yeh that won't work cause I would like to keep the gun in my pocket. Speaking of which, suggestions for a pocket holster? Midway USA has this for $15, was thinking of trying it http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=166521
I have no experience with the Desantis holster, but I think some folks here on NES have them. I don't remember who made my pocket holster. Milt Sparks maybe?

Thanks, that's what I needed to know (mainly know what to look for when I purchase ammo).

Note that .38 Special +P+ has a higher pressure than +P, but still less than .357 Magnum, so you're still good.

Just a note about running the .38 rounds in a .357 -- be sure to clean that cylinder really good after running the shorter cartridges. Had a SP101 refuse to accept .357 rounds fully after I thought I'd done a good job cleaning it.

FWIW, the S&W 340PD does not have a shrouded hammer.
I have one and find it to be a perfect carry gun but a terrible range gun.
Carry 357 short barrel loads and you'll be fine. Practice with 38's but shoot an occasional 357 for proficiency.
If you're looking for BOTH a range and a carry gun in a "J" frame, give the all steel model 60 a look.

Just a note about running the .38 rounds in a .357 -- be sure to clean that cylinder really good after running the shorter cartridges. Had a SP101 refuse to accept .357 rounds fully after I thought I'd done a good job cleaning it.

Thanks for the heads up! Will keep that in mind.

FWIW, the S&W 340PD does not have a shrouded hammer.
I have one and find it to be a perfect carry gun but a terrible range gun.
Carry 357 short barrel loads and you'll be fine. Practice with 38's but shoot an occasional 357 for proficiency.
If you're looking for BOTH a range and a carry gun in a "J" frame, give the all steel model 60 a look.

- The S&W website specifies it as a small shrouded hammer... You're saying it's not though?

- How do you carry it? Pocket holster by any chance?

I just bought one of these today, but I got delayed. I can't wait to shoot some 180gr buffalo bore (1400fps!, 783 ft/lbs!), but will probably carry the 135gr GDHP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom